Boardwalk Villa stay, day 3 problem #4

rileyz

Mouseketeer
We are on day 3 of a 12 day stay in a 2 bed @BWV. We are actually having fun despite some annoying and time consuming issues. Day one our room was not ready until after 6 because the sleep sofa was and still is broken. They were trying to fix it I believe. During dinner I got a call, very nice cast member, gave us a few anytime fastpasses with the usual exclusions and are doing a bday room setup for my daughters bday, again very nice.

Day 2 our magic bands did not work on room locks for several hours. Multiple cast members came and went, took our bands, eventually they worked but our day was delayed and actually affected our ability to use the anytime fastpasses. Oh well. That night we get back, toilet overflows after just a wee flush, if you get my drift. Ok, plumber comes fixes it. (And hey it’s suppsoed to be like being home, right?)

Day 3. My husband wakes up and picks up his backpack from aside the bed, it’s soaked. His iPad case in soaked, iPad is ok thankfully. His sketch pad with his artwork, he’s an actual working artist, is drenched. We call engineering, someone arrived quickly and said they will have a plumber investigate. We go out, get back at 3 and now there is water seeping up through the cracks of the floor in bathroom/kitchenette area. Call again, new person from engineering shows up and apparently no plumber had been called after the first call at 9 am. Anyway, they are now actively trying to find and fix the leak, it’s most likely in the wall above us. The floor is still wet, we have towels on it. We could move except for the fact we are in a 2 bed villa with extended family, sharing kitchen, groceries, etc. Part of the point of the vacation is to be together. They can’t get us a 2 bed for 9 nights, no availability. We were at the moonlight magic event and the left a message saying they are crediting us around $400 on our account.

We’ve been fairly calm throughout the whole thing and even the cast members have commented on our patience. Still I’m frustrated. Moreso about the lost time then my wet socks. Packing up and moving is more lost time and might happen if the situation gets worse. If not for being with family I would move but even then I’d be losing the kitchen and living room as it would be to just a studio. Has anyone been through anything remotely similar?

No. Never have. I am sorry for the issues.
We did wake up one morning to a wet closet floor/rug in the Master Bath. I noticed the shower turnoff handle was leaking. Called engineering who came immediately.
We were able to continue our day. When we returned there was a huge fan blowing on the carpet in the closet. Shortly the enginer arrived to check on us. We stated we would leave the (noisy) fan on til bedtime. All was good.
You have exoerienced more than your share.
With the over 95% occupancy of the Villas, it is inevitable that things will occasionally go wrong.

Sorry you are experiencing issues. We have had an issue during trips over the years but usually not multiple issues. I understand your frustration, the 2 bedroom units cost a lot in either points or $$ if paying cash. We have stayed on points in 2 bedrooms there many times, but never for that many days in a row. I think the length of stay is preventing them from moving you. If staying using $$, I think I might ask about other accommodations like suites that could accommodate your entire party. Still may be no availability though. I hope they get the leak fixed fast for you.

We’ve had similar problems over multiple visits but never all bunched up like that. Sorry you are having all these issues! One time we had some family staying on our points who had some issues and Disney actually refunded some points, which I thought was impossible. So if you continue to have issues I would go down that path.

As they seem to have done, Disney usually makes pretty good on problems, like throwing you fast passes or crediting your account, but enough is enough regardless!

Don't call about the problems, go to the front desk. The calls go to a remote call center, not the hotel.

Doesn’t sound like this is the problem, since staff, maintenance have been to their room multiple times with the magic band issues, plumbing issues etc.

But I do agree that I would have a face to face conversation with a manager at this point, don’t bother with front line front desk person.

SO sorry that you have had so many issues! Bad luck!

It does sound like the CM's are doing everything reasonably possible to help, though, but I totally get your frustration. Agree with others that a face to face with a manager might be a good idea - especially if you are dissatisfied with the help or compensation that you have been offered.

Good luck! Hopefully everything will be straightened out soon!

IMHO, that 2-bedroom should be taken out of inventory. That's not a livable situation. If the other side of the villa is ok, perhaps have your family stay and take the studio for yourself and your DH. Ask them to keep your MB's active for the 2-bedroom so you can come and go to spend time with them. The other alternative, if available, ask for a studio and a 1-bedroom and, again, ask that your MB can open both doors. That gives you the same space, just rooms that don't connect. If that doesn't work, I would ask for a 2-bedroom suite to accommodate you or ask to be moved to a 2-bedroom somewhere else on property and ask to be compensated for time lost (FP+'s, refund of cash or points, etc.) I know it's a pain to move, but if you are in a room that isn't flooded, I think you will be happier. We had to move rooms at CCV in December and it was such a pain - we didn't get into our new room with our luggage until after we had finished our evening at MVMCP). But, our new room was so much better and then we could settle in for the rest of our stay. We had water issues at BWI (water pipe break and pounding all night long to fix it) and were compensated one night's stay (without asking). Your situation is far worse. I hope you find a resolution that will help you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Excellent suggestions here. Sad that these aren’t offered by Disney and you have to ask for a meaningful accommodation.

We are on day 3 of a 12 day stay in a 2 bed @BWV. We are actually having fun despite some annoying and time consuming issues. Day one our room was not ready until after 6 because the sleep sofa was and still is broken. They were trying to fix it I believe. During dinner I got a call, very nice cast member, gave us a few anytime fastpasses with the usual exclusions and are doing a bday room setup for my daughters bday, again very nice.

Day 2 our magic bands did not work on room locks for several hours. Multiple cast members came and went, took our bands, eventually they worked but our day was delayed and actually affected our ability to use the anytime fastpasses. Oh well. That night we get back, toilet overflows after just a wee flush, if you get my drift. Ok, plumber comes fixes it. (And hey it’s suppsoed to be like being home, right?)

Day 3. My husband wakes up and picks up his backpack from aside the bed, it’s soaked. His iPad case in soaked, iPad is ok thankfully. His sketch pad with his artwork, he’s an actual working artist, is drenched. We call engineering, someone arrived quickly and said they will have a plumber investigate. We go out, get back at 3 and now there is water seeping up through the cracks of the floor in bathroom/kitchenette area. Call again, new person from engineering shows up and apparently no plumber had been called after the first call at 9 am. Anyway, they are now actively trying to find and fix the leak, it’s most likely in the wall above us. The floor is still wet, we have towels on it. We could move except for the fact we are in a 2 bed villa with extended family, sharing kitchen, groceries, etc. Part of the point of the vacation is to be together. They can’t get us a 2 bed for 9 nights, no availability. We were at the moonlight magic event and the left a message saying they are crediting us around $400 on our account.

We’ve been fairly calm throughout the whole thing and even the cast members have commented on our patience. Still I’m frustrated. Moreso about the lost time then my wet socks. Packing up and moving is more lost time and might happen if the situation gets worse. If not for being with family I would move but even then I’d be losing the kitchen and living room as it would be to just a studio. Has anyone been through anything remotely similar?
Since you mentioned the Moonlight Magic event, I will assume that you are an DVC owner and not staying on a cash reservation? If so, I think that a call to Member Satisfaction is in order. You should not have to live with these conditions. I would certainly expect a partial refund of points and a new room at the very least.

I hope the issues are resolved soon and that you continue to have a great vacation in spite of the problems.

What a mess. So many things going wrong at once and most of them, except the sofa, are not from poor maintenance or otherwise preventable. It's just pure, old-fashioned bad luck.
No idea what the best course of action to correct it all is. Especially since there is little they can do to make more rooms available. Booked is booked. If they were to ask YOU what YOU would choose as the best option, knowing they can't make a new room where there are none, what would you want? Maybe figure that out and go down and ask the manager for that?

Sounds like the sofa is still broken day 3? And this is a stay with extended family, so it’s likely that sofa is a HUGE maintenance problem. Disney knows how many guests you have and whether that sofa was required. Most DVC members are pretty good about reporting room issues, Disney fixing the issues between stays, not so much. Aside from the question whether your multiple plumbing issues are due to lack of maintenance, with the plumbing problems on top of the still broken sofa after 3 days, the resort should be bending over backwards to make you happy, in my opinion. I would expect and ask for return of points. How many returned will be adequate compensation is your call but I think $400 at day 3 with the sofa issue still not solved is minimal in your situation.

Last edited:
So sorry! I hope the rest of your trip is absolutely wonderful. It would be great if they could find a solution for your entire family so you did not have to put up with all this nonsense.

I'm going to move this to the DVC Resorts board, as this would be of interest to the members who hang out there. It really is a membership issue at this point. And I agree that the room should be taken out of inventory. "Home away from home" or not, no guest should be in a room with that many issues.

If it were me, I'd be asking for a move to another 2-bedroom villa, at another resort if necessary. Yes, it takes time to move, but you've already lost so much time out of your vacation that a couple of hours spent packing and moving would be worth it to have the rest of your stay in peace.

Sounds like your whole family needs to be moved. That much water, coming from who knows where, doesn’t sound very sanitary for any of you to be there. If it’s coming from the room above you & leaking enough to wet your floor that much, it’s going to take forever to dry adequately. Your other family won’t be able to use the kitchen either. So you all need to be moved, IMHO. Plus I’d be worried about things starting to get musty/ moldy if they don’t get the walls dry quickly. Yuck.

The magic band issues wouldn’t bother me too much. Seems everyone has those once in awhile. Doesn’t make it ok, but doesn’t warrant much compensation. But the huge water leak, yea, that requires serious action.

I am impressed with your patience. I agree with possibly a refund of some of the points you used to book the room as well as the $400 credit they gave you, at the least.

Sounds like you guys are being awesome troopers amidst all this! My hat is off to you for your graciousness.

As a 25 year member, I have never, ever had anything like your series of events happen. I agree you should talk face to face with a MANAGER. And I would write an email to Member Satisfaction outlining everything that has happened. These things have been a major disruption for your trip.

I hate when I hear bad stories but the guest/member did not bother to let anyone know while they were still THERE. OF course, with your plumbing issues you had no choice but to call. :crazy2: It seems to me that you should receive some sort of compensation. And I'm not one to willy-nilly say that. I would not expect to get all your points back, but I think partial reimbursement is in order.

AND I would ask to be MOVED, and asap! Good luck, fellow DVC member! :flower3:

IMHO, that 2-bedroom should be taken out of inventory. That's not a livable situation. If the other side of the villa is ok, perhaps have your family stay and take the studio for yourself and your DH. Ask them to keep your MB's active for the 2-bedroom so you can come and go to spend time with them. The other alternative, if available, ask for a studio and a 1-bedroom and, again, ask that your MB can open both doors. That gives you the same space, just rooms that don't connect. If that doesn't work, I would ask for a 2-bedroom suite to accommodate you or ask to be moved to a 2-bedroom somewhere else on property and ask to be compensated for time lost (FP+'s, refund of cash or points, etc.) I know it's a pain to move, but if you are in a room that isn't flooded, I think you will be happier. We had to move rooms at CCV in December and it was such a pain - we didn't get into our new room with our luggage until after we had finished our evening at MVMCP). But, our new room was so much better and then we could settle in for the rest of our stay. We had water issues at BWI (water pipe break and pounding all night long to fix it) and were compensated one night's stay (without asking). Your situation is far worse. I hope you find a resolution that will help you enjoy the rest of your stay.

I'd be expecting to get at least half of my points back. As described above, this is not a livable situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter