Bigger castle and new attraction coming 2018-2023 !!!

netimka

DIS Veteran
saw updated on FB this morning

Hong Kong Disneyland Resort (HKDL) announced a multi-year development plan to take the park to a new level of excitement, leveraging some of the most beloved and successful franchises of The Walt Disney Company. Guests will experience Marvel and “Frozen” like never before as HKDL leverages the best of Disney to bring both these world-renowned franchises to life in their own immersive areas. The centerpiece of the park and the gateway to Fantasyland – the castle – will also be transformed to create spectacular entertainment experiences for guests.

Castle will be expanded with both day time and night time shows (2019)

15078950_10154826054232148_5658194407278589165_n.jpg

15085734_10154826120382148_4861857823998742560_n.jpg

15193420_10154826120412148_7594796218573335778_n.jpg

Last edited:
Marvel area
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters will be rethemed into an Ant-Man / Avengers ride. (2018)
Autopia will be turned into a big Avengers base with new ride. (2023)

15192539_10154826120462148_9179708835684052683_n.jpg

15107334_10154826120477148_7113681277048555824_n.jpg

I really like these new plans, not so sure at the size of the new castle, looks like they will build on top of the existing one but time will tell I guess...

Ick to Marvel. I'm just not a Marvel fan, and hate that it's taking over all the parks! However, I understand that lots of people love it, and not devastated to lose Autopia, although I'm a bit sad to see Buzz being rethemed to Marvel.

Completely over Frozen too. Cute little movie, but I just don't understand the hype around it. Again though, I know lots of people love it. Hopefully all the people will congregate in the two new areas and I can have the rest of the park to myself ;)

The new castle looks kind of hodgepodgey, but I like that they're going with a more whimsical style like that in Paris, and also that they seem to be incorporating styles from many of the different princesses. I'll be interested to see the end result, and sure that it will look beautiful in person.

I think it's great that they're doing something with the park though. I was kind of worried when Shanghai opened, and the park always seems kind of empty. Hopefully these new expansions will encourage more visitors (like I said though, as long as they all stick to the new areas and leave the rest of the park nice and quiet!).

It all looks pretty good to me! The castle looks like it is going to at least double in height. It certainly appears to include design influence / inspiration from a broad variety of princesses.

Arendelle looks really beautiful, especially with Elsa's ice castle in the background on the tall mountain.

And an Avengers area makes sense. I'm sure Disney wants to get the maximum value for money from the licence and to my general understanding, they're somewhat limited with using the brand at WDW due to existing licensing agreements with Universal Studios. I don't mind the re-theme for Buzz Lightyear, although I'm hopeful that they'll prominently include the Wasp in the ride in addition to Ant-Man.

I look forward to seeing it all completed in 2023!

just to update, it has been approved today by HK government so expansions will go ahead now xx

I dont understand some of these choices. A bigger castle isn't going to attract more people to the parks, sounds like a waste of money that could be better allocated. The buzz lightyear change just seems like a lateral move; same ride, different theme. I feel like they need to spend their money a little more wisely if they actually want this park to start making money again.

I like the proposed ideas in general but am disappointed with Buzz Lightyear ride becoming Avengers. Buzz is a kid-friendly ride, and those younger kids are not the target audience for the Avengers. I hope they would find ways to balance out the age-groups.

Anyone have any idea when castle changes will start? Visiting in November 2017 and hoping to see the original castle. Thanks.

The graphic in the posts above show the castle being done in 2019. I doubt it will closed before sometime in 2018.

Any update on when changes and closures will start? We will be visiting late May or early June 2018

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!