Beware of a room ending in 17 at Copper Creek.

Donna M

DIS Veteran
I just got back from my second stay at Copper Creek in a one bedroom. What a disappointment, and I had built up the place so much for my friend who stayed with me this time.

First, we arrived at 5:30 and the room we did early check-in for and made a request for wasn't going to be ready for an additional hour. The very friendly cm was able to find a room that was ready, but all this did take at least half an hour. That was a mistake, should have waited.

My dh and I stayed is a 1 bd and told each other it was now our 2nd favorite behind VGF, now I'm not sure.

This room, 2117 which has a studio attached was noticeable smaller, probably 3-4 feet shorter. There was not any room for a chair, and there wasn't one, and there was very little space to pull out the dining room chairs. The bathroom door was a folding one because there wasn't room to swing open a regular one. The shower door just clears the counter by one inch. The master br looked the same, but I stayed on the sleeper sofa, which was very comfortable, so I didn't spend any time in the master.

Also, to top it off, there is a stone wall in front of this unit. There are large openings, like windows, but the wall makes the unit dark.

It would have been way too crowded if our husbands had joined us. You can't get the dining room chairs out to sit the extra two people, and this could be a two bedroom with 8 people in the living room, lol. I don't think you could stand 8 people up in the living room!

This unit should not be the same amount of points as the other 1 bd. It does not have the same square footage.

There are so many great things about this resort. I want to keep loving it, but there is no way I would take that unit again for the points of a regular 1 bd.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t let this instance sway your feelings about Wilderness Lodge the resort. It’s really about Copper Creek. They are converted hotel rooms. There are bound to be some odd rooms just because they had to reconfigure these rooms to fit the DVC model. If you can try a room at BRV. More spacious layouts. There is only one room I’m aware of to stay away from and that is the lone studio that has no balcony. Don’t let this stay color your enthusiasm for Wilderness Lodge. It’s a wonderful resort.

I just got back from my second stay at Copper Creek in a one bedroom. What a disappointment, and I had built up the place so much for my friend who stayed with me this time.

First, we arrived at 5:30 and the room we did early check-in for and made a request for wasn't going to be ready for an additional hour. The very friendly cm was able to find a room that was ready, but all this did take at least half an hour. That was a mistake, should have waited.

My dh and I stayed is a 1 bd and told each other it was now our 2nd favorite behind VGF, now I'm not sure.

This room, 2117 which has a studio attached was noticeable smaller, probably 3-4 feet shorter. There was not any room for a chair, and there wasn't one, and there was very little space to pull out the dining room chairs. The bathroom door was a folding one because there wasn't room to swing open a regular one. The shower door just clears the counter by one inch. The master br looked the same, but I stayed on the sleeper sofa, which was very comfortable, so I didn't spend any time in the master.

Also, to top it off, there is a stone wall in front of this unit. There are large openings, like windows, but the wall makes the unit dark.

It would have been way too crowded if our husbands had joined us. You can't get the dining room chairs out to sit the extra two people, and this could be a two bedroom with 8 people in the living room, lol. I don't thing you could stand 8 people up in the living room!

This unit should not be the same amount of points as the other 1 bd. It does not have the same square footage.

There are so many great things about this resort. I want to keep loving it, but there is no way I would take that unit again for the points of a regular 1 bd.

Back in the day for our second stay at WL at the time we arrived we were told our room was not yet ready and would be a couple more hours. DH wanted a room right away. Ok, fine. Where were we assigned for the new room? Just around the corner from that room you got - ground floor in the shade etc. We didn't even go in the room, went back to the desk and DH explained it was fine to wait for the other room. :rolleyes:

Agree that you shouldn't let one bad room ruin your love for a resort. I certainly would avoid taking a room like that in the future, if possible, but as mentioned, the architects had to use the existing room structure around which to build the DVC suites. Thus, there will be the occasional odd room--too bad you got one! However, another visit to the Lodge might help allay your fears. VWL (which is what BRV will always be to me) does have larger rooms overall, and while not as updated as the CCVC rooms, they are still lovely.

The other half of this room when it is rented as a two-bedroom, will be the ?115 studio which has the alternate lay-out where the bedroom and the sofa bed are in separate spaces. The alternate studios appear to have more space than a normal studio, so in a two-bedroom configuration the set-up would appear to have two living rooms. This may make the ?117/115 two-bedroom combination more appealing to some families.

It would have been way too crowded if our husbands had joined us. You can't get the dining room chairs out to sit the extra two people, and this could be a two bedroom with 8 people in the living room, lol. I don't thing you could stand 8 people up in the living room!

Did you happen to get any photos of the room? I would be interested in having a visual of room 2117.

I didn't think of taking pictures, wish I had. Look at the virtual tour in the Official Copper Creek thread and picture the space between the dining table chairs and couch about a foot less and then the chair by the slider removed and about 3 feet less floor space. From floor plans I looked at, it looks like the ..19 rooms and the rooms across the hall could easily be smaller rooms too. They need to price some of these units value because you are not getting the same type room. This would be a real problem for 4 people who spend time in the room.

The other half of this room when it is rented as a two-bedroom, will be the ?115 studio which has the alternate lay-out where the bedroom and the sofa bed are in separate spaces. The alternate studios appear to have more space than a normal studio, so in a two-bedroom configuration the set-up would appear to have two living rooms. This may make the ?117/115 two-bedroom combination more appealing to some families.

I'd have guessed it would be connected to the studio on the other side (xx19) and that they left the alternate studios as dedicated. But if not then that would be quite the lock-off!

Did you happen to get any photos of the room? I would be interested in having a visual of room 2117.

I had looked at Touringplans room views to see what this room looked out at so you can at least see the view if not the room layout:
2117.JPG

I'd have guessed it would be connected to the studio on the other side (xx19) and that they left the alternate studios as dedicated. But if not then that would be quite the lock-off!

I had looked at Touringplans room views to see what this room looked out at so you can at least see the view if not the room layout:
2117.JPG

Yes, this is the view, but, and a big but, that stone wall continues around to encase the 2117 unit and it is a fuller wall. You need to step out onto the balcony and look through the opening to see that view. Maybe I can find a picture.

Disneys-Wilderness-Lodge-Pool.JPG

I found a picture of where the unit is and the stone wall you need to look through to get the view. Right above the left lifeguard you can see the stone wall with two openings. The right one is outside the slider of the living room and the left is by the bedroom, the slider that is not blocked goes to the studio, 2115.

Since my friend used her points she filled out the questionnaire after which they called her and gave her some compensation. The room was not the same size as the other 1 bedrooms. It needs to be changed to a value like AKV.

This one bedroom is connected to studio ...15, which could have the unique configuration mentioned.

Could you have gone back down to the desk and say no thanks, you’ll wait for the other room?

How long was your stay? 3 or 4 times, at various resorts, I've landed in less than stellar areas, SSR/Carousel (no man's land as I call it, stunning view of the grey parking lot & guard gate) twice no less, BWV - the tiniest 2bd I've ever been in, we were 7, there for 5 days, all over each other, ate breakfast in shifts and OKW-I think #19 (bus turnaround near the interstate, no sleep)

If it's a very short stay, and I'm not really spending too much time in the villa, I live with it. But with a couple of these experiences, I've learned for longer stays to make requests and I've been very fortunate.

Sorry that you got a bad room. I guess patience really is a virtue. Early check in is just a request, not a guarantee. There should never be any expectations that a room will be ready early, especially if it's a specific room request.

Sorry that you got a bad room. I guess patience really is a virtue. Early check in is just a request, not a guarantee. There should never be any expectations that a room will be ready early, especially if it's a specific room request.
When the OP said she arrived at 5:30, and the villa would not be ready till 6:30, are we talking am or pm? I thought she meant pm, and if that’s the case, check in is 4:00pm. Online check in or not, I wouldn’t have been happy having to wait for my accommodations that late. Yes s request is just a request, but check in is 4pm. In 19 years, only once have I ever been made to wait past 4, had a room at 5:30pm (Jambo)

When the OP said she arrived at 5:30, and the villa would not be ready till 6:30, are we talking am or pm? I thought she meant pm, and if that’s the case, check in is 4:00pm. Online check in or not, I wouldn’t have been happy having to wait for my accommodations that late. Yes s request is just a request, but check in is 4pm. In 19 years, only once have I ever been made to wait past 4, had a room at 5:30pm (Jambo)

Isn't it worded as check in is after 4PM for DVC? It was changed quite a few years ago. A pretty easy way to cover or not put full effort into having things ready by a designated hour but still, Disney gets to set the standard.

Isn't it worded as check in is after 4PM for DVC? It was changed quite a few years ago. A pretty easy way to cover or not put full effort into having things ready by a designated hour but still, Disney gets to set the standard.
Gee thanks, never noticed the change. I guess luck has always been on my side.

Last edited:
Gee thanks, never noticed the change. I guess has always been on my side.

In general I think they aim for the 4PM time and we also usually get it by then if not before. But not always - BLT has been bad for us that way and BCV too. VGC is very consistently 4-4:30PM but they'll tell you the villas get cleaned last.....

Did that room and the one beside it used to make up one of the deluxe rooms? I just looked at the touring plans map, and based on that and the view I think it might have been a deluxe room we had a couple of years ago. we stayed in it one night and then moved because I didn't want the ground floor and felt like everyone walking by could see right onto our patio and into our room. It was super close to the door to the courtyard and pool, though! I agree, that stone wall and patio did make the room we had feel much darker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter