Best Time to Book Airline for March Break

Thanks for the info. Think we prefer to book anyways in Toronto since weather in March can still be iffy - and i'd be too nervous waiting 6 months out to book.
So...I'll just check AC and WestJet daily starting at the 1 year mark. Hope I don't need to check at 5am everyday? It's fine if I know the release date, but don't want to do that for a month. o_O

Hi again, will not be 5 am but for sure by 7 am. You might be able to book the flights on AC separately that is the flight down will be released before the return flight. Bit of a hassle. WestJet has in the past released the weeks around March Break together so it will only need one booking. I just wish they would give us the release date ahead of time!

Thanks. Does it end up being cheaper booking depart and return separately? Then again, if only departure is released first, and best price is at that time, but perhaps it would. As per your earlier post, I will watch flights...and if AC releases by the day, then I can see where they are and then watch for our day to open. If I understood correctly, sounds like WestJet is less predictable releasing groups of dates together (but there and back together).

Booking each way separately is a necessity if you're trying to keep costs down, if you wait the fares only go up!

Interesting...I see what you mean about AC and how they offer dates. They show up to Oct 31, 2018 right now so if you leave Oct 31, then there is no return date yet offered. Only thing is, when I tried a mock booking, the one-way came to $1082. Then again, back it up to a 2 days earlier and it's down to $265 (and this is Oct dates vs March). Hmmm...guess we'll just have to watch it closely as March comes and see how pricing goes.

I am sure you will do well on flights, planning ahead is the key! Another thing to remember is the flights might only have 8 to 10 seats available at the lowest fare and when they are sold the price climbs higher. So you might do everything right and not get the best fare but you should get a decent price. Then you will be booked and get to do more planning!

Thank you. We will watch the flights at that time so know when to book. As we know our exact dates, hopefully we can get right away (then again, since its March break, we won't be the only ones buying at that time).

I love Southwest airline, they have reasonable price and two free check in luggages included in their price. Plus free to change flight or even date, if they have seat sale on thr flight you booked you can get the credit to use it on your next flight.

I love Southwest airline, they have reasonable price and two free check in luggages included in their price. Plus free to change flight or even date, if they have seat sale on thr flight you booked you can get the credit to use it on your next flight.

Southwest is only US right? I hesitate booking from Buffalo in March since we can still get bad snow storms. (We're in Toronto so would need to drive there)

I like Southwest a lot as well, but the weather is an issue. Had one flight cancelled due to high winds in Buffalo (stuck in Fort Lauderdale for 3 extra days, not a bad place to be stuck!) 6 hour delay and landed in a lot of snow another time. Live 15 mins from Pearson so that factors in. Have you thought about a WestJet CC? That companion flight for 99.00 really helps the budget, free baggage too.

Weather can be an issue anywhere. At any time as well. We have been stuck on the Tarmac at both FLL and MCO because of thunderstorms. Buffalo is prepared for snow, and by being a smaller airport you don't have the chain effort of chaos like you do at Pearson, JFK, O'Hare, etc. You are more likely to have problems because of weather elsewhere causing problems. Poop will happen.

Weather can be an issue anywhere. At any time as well. We have been stuck on the Tarmac at both FLL and MCO because of thunderstorms. Buffalo is prepared for snow, and by being a smaller airport you don't have the chain effort of chaos like you do at Pearson, JFK, O'Hare, etc. You are more likely to have problems because of weather elsewhere causing problems. Poop will happen.

Yeah, but I'm thinking of a 2.5hr drive in normal weather (just to to the airport). If a snowstorm, then it's a risk. We would fly out the day before anyways but it does add an extra risk in March.

Southwest is only US right? I hesitate booking from Buffalo in March since we can still get bad snow storms. (We're in Toronto so would need to drive there)
We live in Niagara area so it is actually closer for us than driving up to Toronto. But there are many people come down this way, there are many hotels offer park sleep and fly package. Price is very reasonable.

We live in Niagara area so it is actually closer for us than driving up to Toronto. But there are many people come down this way, there are many hotels offer park sleep and fly package. Price is very reasonable.
Park/sleep/fly on the Canadian side or the U.S. side? If it's the Canadian side, how does going through customs work?

Park/sleep/fly on the Canadian side or the U.S. side? If it's the Canadian side, how does going through customs work?
It is in the U.S. Side. There are a bunch of hotel across the street from Buffalo Airport. You can check in the night before and stay overnight, and catch your flight the next day, and it includes parking your car for (usually) 10 days. They have shuttle to take you to the airport. You clear custom when you drive across the border. Flights are cheaper from Buffalo because they are consider domestic flights. And the airport is less busy than YYZ it less stressful.

We always book in Jan for March break and have never paid over 100 per person...........We are willing to do a drive though. We leave Friday around lunch and head to Pittsburgh 5 hours i know crazy but for the 5 of us I have never paid over 1300 return for all 5. Pittsburgh has great flight times and we stay at the airport Embassy Suites for only 120 includes parking for the week, shuttle, all you can eat breakfast and all you can drink at the manager reception. This year I found a deal out of Detroit so that will save us 2 hours of driving.

Wow thanks. That's definitely worth the drive. The only risk is that we can still have snow storms creeping up in March so relying on driving at this end is a risk.

I worry about the weather but we have been travelling over March break for the past 7 years and never had an issue. I do check the weather constantly. I ended up booking $70 flights down out of Detroit. The airfare converted to CDN with bags, and seats is 130.

fitmom3, thank you for sharing. That is an amazing price...even when not March break. We will not dismiss Detroit or Pittsburgh as an option.

one more thing to think about..........Southwest has so many options if you know a winter storm is going to happen. you can change your departure date, flight time and I think airport if seats are available at no cost. That always gave us a piece of mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!