Best things to do in NYC before cruise?

fredandkell

I'd rather be cruising
Hi, we'll be in NYC 3 days before our cruise leaves. What things do you recommend for kids to do? Mine will be 9 and 12 at time of trip. Husband and I have been a few times before and have done most of the tourist stuff, so it's really about the kids this trip; we don't want to do Broadway since we'll see shows on the ship. Thanks!

So much to do and see...what month will you be there? The Intrepid is cool, cycling in Central Park, walking the High Line, across the Brooklyn Bridge, and view from the top (Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, Freedom Tower), Ellen's Stardust Diner, (chocolate) walking tour (or any of the food tours), Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, museums if they're interested.

Check Groupon before you come.

Last edited:
I agree with the food tours, they are a lot of fun. If they love pizza like my grandkids try Scott's Pizza tour, he's great.
Madame Toussand wax museum, museum of Natural History.
KashasMom hit on a lot of good places.
When my son was 12, he had a blast climbing the rocks at Central Park.
Serendipity is a fun restaurant, get there when it opens.
Seaglass Carousel in Battery Park is fun.

We'll be there in late September before the Bermuda cruise. Has anyone ever done this DCL pre-excursion (backstage at the Aladdin theater?) https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/new-york-city-amsterdam-behind-magic-tour/

We are on the same cruise I think!
We have not done that excursion, but that show is amazing, we saw it a couple years ago.
For this cruise we are going to fly into Boston for a few days, then go to NYC a couple days before the cruise.
I really wanted to do the 7 night Boston, Bermuda cruise but it was a DVC member cruise, so we are going to just do Boston first.

Your link is for dates in 2018. I kept trying to make sense of the dates because none of them were "before or after" our NYC cruise on 9/30/19 LOL!!!
Yes they don’t have next year’s dates out yet—slackers!! Don’t they know there are obsessive planners out here!?

We did the New Amsterdam theater tour (when we did NYC as a port call on a transatlantic cruise a few years ago). It was interesting gave a good background on the theater itself as well as the area (without dragging on too long) and kids really enjoyed the costume area where they could try on costumes from all the Disney Broadway shows.

Glad you aren't interested in the touristy stuff. As an New Yorker I always hate bringing out of town guests to tourists spots. I'd say check out Brooklyn. There are so many cool places there with amazing food and trendy bars (not williamsburg stay away!)

my kids adored the Museum of Natural History (up on central park west)..
we spent hours there and the kids wanted to stay longer but we didn't have time..

they also enjoyed the central park zoo...

for something a "bit" more commercial, they also enjoyed a visit to FAO Schwarz...

and they also were interested in visiting ground zero...

and yes they love broadway - each time we'd do at least 3 broadway musicals (over the course of 3 days)...

I would check out the museums. Natural History Museum, The Metropolitan and MOMA are all stunning. The Intrepid is also very cool. Walk in Central Park, get some great food, avoid Times Square!

If you are staying on the West side to be near the port, I recommend visiting the Highline if the weather is nice. On Saturdays, the Whitney museum which is right off the Highline has special art activities for kids, my 7 year-old goes with his grandma all the time and loves them. If your kids are daredevils, the Chelsea Sports complex has trapeze lessons right above the Hudson river.

I love the East Village and Lower East Side. I recommend a stroll through those areas. Be sure to visit St. Mark's Place.

Last edited:
If you are staying on the West side to be near the port, I recommend visiting the Highline if the weather is nice. On Saturdays, the Whitney museum which is right off the Highline has special art activities for kids, my 7 year-old goes with his grandma all the time and loves them. If your kids are daredevils, the Chelsea Sports complex has trapeze lessons right above the Hudson river.
We are staying in Midtown near Rockefeller. I did have my eye on Highline though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter