Best luau in Oahu

Do any Luaus in Oahu have a pig roast on the beach? Can you watch them dig up the pig? Or is all the food prepared in commercial oven, maybe even located off-site?

-Paul
I went to Paradise Cove many years ago and there was a section where you could watch them dig up the pig with a little ceremony, however I cannot say if they actually use that pig for the dinner. From what I remember it is the pig that they cooked the night prior that was served?! I could be wrong on that, it was a long time ago.

Polynesian cultural center actually did. They uncovered the pig and then brought it to be cut up.It wasn't part of the official buffet food, so you had to go up on your own and grab some if you wanted. It was probably the only decent piece of food I had to eat that day. And even then, it wasn't really that fantastic.

I went to Paradise Cove many years ago and there was a section where you could watch them dig up the pig with a little ceremony, however I cannot say if they actually use that pig for the dinner. From what I remember it is the pig that they cooked the night prior that was served?! I could be wrong on that, it was a long time ago.
We did PC in June. Obviously even if that one pig was served, for that many people, there were others prepared elsewhere. How/where I cannot say, but it was quite good and being from the south, we're kinda snobs about pulled pork. But it was fun to watch them dig it up and parade it around.

Does anyone know of a small Luau where the pig and traditional food are featured rather than a big production stage show? Or do you need to know a local to get invited to a backyard party?

The Polynesian Cultural Center has a deluxe package with Prime Rib, but doubt that is traditional fare.

-Paul

Does anyone know of a small Luau where the pig and traditional food are featured rather than a big production stage show? Or do you need to know a local to get invited to a backyard party?

The Polynesian Cultural Center has a deluxe package with Prime Rib, but doubt that is traditional fare.

-Paul
If you’re looking for a restaurant win good local food, try the Willows. It’s in Honolulu and you’ll probably need a car. We stopped there with three generations and everyone found something to eat. They had traditional Hawaiian fare along with other items. Setting is nice. Looks like nothing from the street, but it’s an oasis inside

If you’re looking for a restaurant win good local food, try the Willows. It’s in Honolulu and you’ll probably need a car. We stopped there with three generations and everyone found something to eat. They had traditional Hawaiian fare along with other items. Setting is nice. Looks like nothing from the street, but it’s an oasis inside
We didn't get around to it, but my bestie loved the Willows also.

We went to Fia Fia at the Marriott Beach cub down the road from Aulani. (That was right before the luau at Aulani started.)
We loved it. There was a lot of dancing, singing and audience participation. Before the show started performers went through the audience greeting and engaging folks. They helped us make head wreaths and had kids activities. I enjoyed the explanations of the different Polynesian cultural backgrounds. It was a great evening.
I would highly recommend it. My friend used an ECV/scooter while we were at Aulani. We stopped by and asked about borrowing a wheelchair to use while we were at the luau and they were very accomodatind. It is a long walk from the front door to the elevators and then to the luau site which is just below the front entrance.
A local restaurant for real local food is the Highway Inn. Nothing fancy. One of the Cms recommended it.
Ask the CMs for recommendations about food, restaurants etc. They are terrific.

We did the Aulani, and compared to the Polynesian, we would to the Polynesian.
Have to agree with you on this. We enjoyed the one at the Polynesian much more than the Aulani one. However, Aulani did have some nice pre-luau kids activities.

Food was better at Aulani. But I thought the pace was a little slow and the show a little long. a kid (probably about 12?) fell asleep at our table in the middle.
So right. Yes, food was definitely better at Aulani. And our kids (and we saw many others do the same) also fell asleep at the luau.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter