Best cabin location for motion sickness

sunsets

Earning My Ears
I am EXTREMELY prone to motion sickness and I've been told to be sure to get a midship cabin. I've never cruised before so I'm not exactly sure where that is. Can anyone be more specific as to what category and deck level to get? I'm assuming an inside stateroom is what they mean by midship but from what I've been reading inside staterooms only sleep 3 and there are 4 of us. Any help is appreciated.

By midships, the people you've been talking to are referring to cabins that are around the middle of the ship rather than near the front or the back. They're assuming that the ship will rock up and down as it gets tossed by waves. But you're not going to detect any motion like that like you might in a small boat. The Disney ship is the length of three football fields... you just aren't going to have a ship with that length rocking back and forth because of individual waves.

That being said, the ship does rock slightly from side-to-side. And your best bet is to be near the center of gravity (COG). And that would be on the lower decks. I'd go for Decks 1 or 2.

I would go for a category 10 or 11 -- and ask to be 'midship'. Midship actually means toward the center of the ship -- the middle of AFT and FORWARD. The lower down on the ship, might be the best option. Cat.10 and 11 are both inside staterooms. The only difference is that with the cat#10, you will have a split bath. Both cat 10 and 11 will have staterooms to accomodate 4 people.

If you are prone to motion sickness I would seriously consider staying in an outside cabin! We have cruised many times and are boaters, but the one time we tried to stay in an inside cabin(last minute trip), my daughter felt nauseous after just a few minutes and we switched to an ouside. I personally think the higher up you are and the closer to midship, the better you will feel.

Okay, now I'm really confused as to where to stay. I've been told lower decks/inside stateroom, middle deck/inside stateroom, and upper deck/outside stateroom! Help! I hate to sound like a fanatic about this, but getting motion sicknes as easily as I do, I really want to get a cabin that would be best for me. More suggestions are greatly welcomed. :confused:

I do think that an outside cabin would help, though I don't know what level you should choose. Being able to see the horizon does truly help reduce motion sickness. This is related to brain research; it's not just my opinion. Both times we have cruised we have been on deck 6, mid-ship with a verandah. Some nights we could really feel the ship rocking, other nights you couldn't even tell that you were on a ship. I would definitely get either a window or verandah room.

Well, I can tell you that outside cabin, deck 8, middle of the ship DOES NOT WORK! I speak with experience on this one.

Drugs, they can be your friend. Seriously, will medicine help - more than location? How about that patch thing?

On the first evening you're on the ship, you'll pass over the Gulf Stream which tends to be more turbulent than other waters. We have noticed it as early as 6:30pm the first night. It ususally ends by 10 or 11pm and the seas are usually smoother after that.

I have an inner ear problem that can make me have the symptoms of seasickness almost anytime even on land. I take the prescription version of Meclizine 25 mg to help and it almost always works well.

I always make sure that I take a new dose of it soon after we pass over the bridge where you see the ship for the first time. This makes it approximately 45 minutes to an hour before I get on board and then I take another dose 4 hours after that to help with the Gulf Stream passage. By the time I could take another dose according to the label, we're back into smooth seas and it isn't necessary.

I also take Ginger Capsules on a regular basis and I take two in the morning and then two at night and I seldom need to take the prescription after the first night. Except for the day in St Thomas when I was on a shore excursion and at the mercy of a local driver when I was a passenger on a tour.

I have tried the wrist bands and haven't noticed much relief from them, but take them along just in case.

Like others, I would also encourage you to try out the medication a week before your cruise to make sure you don't encounter side effects that are unpleasant.

I also believe that the DCL ships have superior stabilizers and from experience, I can say that you notice less motion than you would on another cruise line.

For cabin selection, I would also recommend an outside cabin that is midship and on a lower numbered deck for the center of gravity. If you'd like a veranda cabin which I think helps further, I recommend one on deck 5 or 6, the lowest decks with a veranda. I do believe that being able to see the horizon does help to lessen motion sickness and I do prefer being closer to the water on a low numbered deck.

oh god....this was a bad thread to read....
it makes me wonder whether i'm out of my mind for even considering cruising with the motion sickness problem i have....

albiats,
so you're telling me that despite this problem you're able to cruise and enjoy it?...
i guess i'll have to try some of my daughter's dramamine II before we sail.....
but first i have to check if it interacts with the regular medication i'm on......hmmmm.......

i kind of figured i'd spend all 3 days in bed....which is why i took a suite....

as for position in the ship....when i was little and we were on a ship that hit very very high seas, the lower i went on the ship, the greener i got.....our stateroom was on the highest stateroom deck and just going down the stairs to the dining room did me in....i had to head straight back up to bed.....

As my husband gets ill looking at pictures of boats, seasickness is definitely something I'm worried about. The doctor suggested Bonine over Dramanine and also I did get the prescription for the patch filled...just in case. Friends suggested I get things with ginger in them and I went to a health store and found some different things there. Now after all that I'll probably be the one to get seasick!

Ginger capsules are fantastic!! No side effects and really do the trick.

Ginger capsules....health food store best place to look? Are they hard to find and do you have to start taking them before the cruise. THANKS

disneyholic -

Yes, despite my inner ear problems, I enjoy DCL cruises very much and try to go as often as possible, and don't have any lasting bouts of motion sickness.

We've been on 4 cruises and we have one booked for October of this year and another one in January of 2003. I do very well with a cabin on deck 5 or 6 with a veranda and not quite as well on deck 8.

We were on the Magic for a 7 day in January of this year and the worst experience I had was on shore excursions with the native tour drivers, and the Ginger and Meclizine took care of it quickly. The tv report from the bridge showed the seas varying from slight on some days to rough on others during the cruise.

I do encourage you to check with your Doctor and Pharmacist before adding new herbs or medications and to be sure to try them out before your cruise to make sure you can tolerate them.

Ginger is usually safe for most people and is known to help with stomach discomfort and motion sickness. It is also known to help lower tryglycerides (sort of like cholesterol) in your blood and just recently, I read that it can help lessen the discomfort with osteoarthritis.

I get motion sickness from the moment I step on deck. I scuba, so I'm a lot of boats and see a lot of people suffer. I've found the patch is the only thing that really works for severe motion sickness. Stick it on a couple hours before boarding and never take it off. The patch last 3-4 days. If you take a 7 day cruise, do the switch before going to bed. I've still had a couple nauseous moments during boat turns on the Wonder, but not too bad. The patch can make you a little drowsy. Dramamine or Bonine are worse for drowsiness and ginger tablets do work for some, but if they don't work - they will burn when you throw them up. The pressure wrist bands and the ReliefBand (Sharper Image) didn't work for me. Wear your patch & have a great time!

Noel

I've had no side effects using a Scopolamine patch. I probably use 1-2 patches a month on weekend dive trips. My doctor said that drowsiness and dry mouth are the main side effects, but I've experienced neither. If I did, I’d still use them. Being a little sleepy or dehydrated is a lot better than feeling nauseous.

Noel

THANK YOU all so much for the wonderful advice!! I'm definitely going to try Bonine, ginger AND the sea wrist bands! Although, a few have mentioned not having side effects from the patch, many I've heard have and since I'm SO prone to side effects as well I think I'll stay clear of the patch. But of course if I'm still sick on board I'll go ahead and try those too!LOL! I think I'll also stay on a mid level deck-not too high and not too low. I'm still undecided as to whether I should have and inside or outside cabin since I've heard some pros and cons on both. To see the horizon or not to see the horizon? That is the question. Thanks again to all!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest