Becoming an Independent Disney Travel Agent

The two places I contacted, AAA included, said I would not qualify because I have no schooling or experience and they were not willing to "train" me just because I love to plan travel :sad2:
That's not right! That's not how it works at all. (I feel like I'm in a commercial saying that!) You sign up with an agency, then you get training.

^ Thats what I have assumed as well - if it were easy enough to do without training anyone could and would do it, right? I've considered making the switch in the past, but I've no idea where I would find clients if I had to start from scratch so it has never moved from the day dream stage. Plus I make a good salary so... still a maybe someday.

That's not right! That's not how it works at all. (I feel like I'm in a commercial saying that!) You sign up with an agency, then you get training.

Apparently then they don't want to train -- they want you with experience and ready to go or just don't want to bother :confused3

Coming to this thread a little late, but wanted to throw out one more thought...speaking from the standpoint of someone who works in an HR capacity, our personnel policy manual expressly forbids performing functions of any type of side job during the hours you are working for us. When you are "on the clock," you may take the occasional personal call or check personal emails, but cannot do any work at all for any side business. I would check with your HR department for your employers' policy.

This exactly is something that the OP needs to consider. Yes, she may get the occasional breaks when she wants but if she tries to work a part-time job on her current job than she is in jeopardy of losing her full-time job.

I own an agency and started PT. While its easier now that I have my own and I'm FT, my most successful agents actually work "normal" jobs full time. It's not all sunshine and roses, but if it's your dream, go for it. Find an agency who fits you and where you will fit. So many just add anyone and I've learned from personal experience that you really want to get to know at least the owner during the process. That takes more than one app and them saying you're hired. I love mentoring new agents, even those that don't work for me so feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Hi Brandi, this is an old post but I'd love to get some inside info from you as I start to think about this. I'm new to the forums and don't know how to direct message you, but would love to know how to chat!

This thread started several years ago but seems to be a popular idea. I am currently looking at doing this as a PT thing to supplement my income. OP, did you go ahead with becoming an agent? How did it go for you?

I'm a travel agent, work from home...and LOVE this job. It has real flexibility and even though I am on call for my clients, most respect normal family boundries.

I know that attention to detail ahead of the trip reduces the number of calls I receive as well.

I know this thread was started a month ago, but if anyone has interest, I'd be willing to answer your questions.

I've been doing this for 7 years (started with someone else and now work for myself.) So I have some experience I'd be willing to share.

One of the things I like best is that other Disney Travel agents are a helpful bunch. There seems to be a philosophy that there are plenty of clients for everyone...most love Disney so much, they're willing to help other agents out. I love my other Disney TA friends! One such Travel Agent when talking with me said, "Follow Your Dreams and see where they lead." Wow am I thankful I took her advice.

Some of the responses are "downer" responses. And that's okay. This job isn't for everyone. However, I've been able to make REAL money for my family in a sales position -- I never thought I'd like a sales position. But really, it's more like a guide/teacher. I get to share my knowledge and enthusiasm for Disney with each client. In the end, I know more about resorts than I do touring the parks because THAT is what my clients NEED -- help choosing which of the resorts to stay at and a general schedule for a trip.

Our extra money pays for ballet and music lessons, basketball seasons, Disney trips, and so many dinners out that we wouldn't have enjoyed without it. AND I LOVE IT!

PM me if you'd like information.

Hi Poohfriend!

I actually would like more information. However, I do not know how to personal message you. Can you please contact me? Thank you! :) My email is katherineburthardt@gmail.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter