BCT Graduation...what's it like?

Justanopinion

Mouseketeer
DS is graduating BCT on Nov. 13 from Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo.

What is the dress code for us?
What can I expect?
I am so nervous and yet so excited and proud.
Also, what's it like if I take my 4 yr. old? I wasn't going to take her but I ended up having to make an emergency trip because my grandmother passed away and I was gone for 10 dys, I've only been home 10 dys now. I'm worried about leaving her again so soon. I don't know why, Daddy does a great job with her...trained him well. Do I take her or not.

Any other tips or advice?
TIA

DH Graduated last year November 2nd. Family Day was the day before graduation. I took both my DD who was 4 at the time and DS who was 10. We drove up to Elizabethton KY (DH was at Fort Knox) and stayed the night before family day. Went to family day and spent all day with DH. Went back to hotel and then went to graduation the next morning.

It is very family oriented. They were not allowed to leave base at all and they are given strict instructions on what they can and cannot do. We had to assemble in a gymnasium before going to the barracks to pick them up and we were also given instructions on what there were and were not allowed to do. And believe me, they are being watched at all times, and they do hold them to those instructions/rules. One of the guys in DH's unit got recycled (had to go back to the start) for having a smoke (yes, they are prohibited).

There were lots of things to do on base. We could go to the PX and shop. There is a food court there. They were allowed to go bowling on family day. Fort Knox had the Patton museum which we got to tour. There was a big park with playground that we went to and played.

The time went by way to fast! And to soon it was time to say good-bye again. After graduation they had about 5 minutes to say good-bye and then they were ordered to waiting buses, back to barracks to grab their gear and then on to other waiting buses off to their next destination for AIT.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Cristy

I forgot that you also asked about dress code. Whatever you want to wear basically. There were people dressed up to people who looked like they had on their PJs. On graduation day the soldiers will be in Class A's, this is a very impressive ceremony - you will be so proud :goodvibes !

I opted for nice black jeans with a sweater and casual shoes. DD wore a dressy dress that daddy bought for her while we were in the PX. DS wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

DS graduated from Ft Leonardwood five years ago and our experience was a little different because DS didn't leave for AIT for a few days.

First of all, anything goes in dress, but I would go with business casual.

I would book my hotel room now, they get really busy. We always like to stay at the Fairfield or the Baymont. He was also stationed there when he got back from Iraq, so we were there several times. There are many more options in eating and lodging than there were 5 years ago. St. Robert is right outside the base, so its easy to get back and forth.

We were able to leave and go to Wal-Mart and out to dinner and he was able to take a nap in our hotel room in the afternoon. We had a wonderful day together.

I left my kids at home because they were just starting school the day of graduation and I didn't want them to miss the first few days. To be honest, it was easier without them. They are older, but they would have been really bored by the whole thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter