Bad knees/Bad shoulders & Concerns re trams and rides

mavanilly

Earning My Ears
I have severe arthritis in the knees and shoulders which makes it difficult for me to step up or down without having something to pull on if going up or brace myself if going down. I plan to walk if possible at the parks and not rent a wheelchair or scooter. However, I am concerned about stepping up and then down on the trams from the parking lots to the park entrances as well as the step into a ride or out of it. POC looks like it might be difficult as well as SM in MK. I'm sure there are others in the other parks as well. Could anyone tell me which rides I might have to consider skipping due to the big step up or down or lack of railing etc. to help pull myself up? We leave next week and I'm starting to get worried and scared! I'd like some reassurance or advice about this. :confused3 :rolleyes2 :scared1: :sad1: :confused: :eek:

I have a bad knee. I can walk on flat ground all day long, but big steps KILL me. I have had the WORST times at Jungle Cruise, nearly couldn't get out. When you step into the boat you actually step onto the seat, then down onto the floor of the boat. That's a big step, from the floor to the seat!

I had trouble at Splash Mountain getting out. Not so much that the step is that big (though it's a bit big), but because when you get out, you have to stand up, sort of twist and step up into the seat in a backwards sort of way, then step out. I had trouble with that.

Those were probably the worst. Anything you had to step down into a boat (Pirates, Mexico, Norway, etc) were tough, but doable. I just had to go slow and sort of throw my weight into my hip and off my knee to get out.

I went to City Hall in the MK and explained my problem about stairs and they gave me a GAC (guest assistance card). I only needed to use it at Splash and the Railroad Station next to Splash, so I could use the alternate entrance and not be forced up the steps.

Have a great trip!

The boat I rode on Jungle Cruise Monday had a diagonal grab bar (lika a bannister) so you didn't have to literally pull on the upright bar to get up and down the stairs. Very helpful.

Talking Hands, was that a special boat that you had to request or show a GAC to use? Renee, how did you eventually get out of the Jungle Cruise boat? I understand the CM's cannot help by touching you in any way such as lending a hand or giving a pull. Did you have any experience with the parking lot trams? Thanks for your responses. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter