Bad Character Interaction - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that Tiana had gloves on is not relevant here. This child had her hands in her mouth and high fiving Tiana would mean her saliva (and any germs she had) would be on the glove that the NEXT child will also touch. Perhaps that is the simple explanation here.
Or on any surface she touched like railings etc. So that is just a silly excuse.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm pretty sure my kids got hugs and I'm glad they did.
I'm totally fine with that. As a male teacher, caution needs to be my first priority at all times.
As for the intent of my original comment, I am just thinking of it from a liability standpoint and why Tiana may have acted the way she did.

Last edited:
I don't understand with the "no touching" theory being applied, yet we have seen millions of pictures of kids being hugged or what about the bright red lipstick left behind from a kiss from snow white.

Not everyone is a hugs or physical contact, totally fine in my book.

No one is saying it's not ok for someone to NOT want to be touched. Just that physical contact with children is part of this particular job. I don't want to be vomited or pooped on, so I'm not a nurse. Becoming a nurse and then trying to make my employer prevent that from happening is not reasonable... it's part of the job.

It is very competitive to become a Disney princess in many ways, these are not people who are forced to take this horrible job to make ends meet. If you don't want to have the warmth of physical contact with kids, then a princess at one of the parks is really not the job for you. You have every right to decide that about your body but then pick a job that does not entail what you are not comfortable with.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm pretty sure my kids got hugs and I'm glad they did.
I am super glad that they are not overboard in the other direction about physical contact at my school as well. Kids need physical contact, especially the really little ones. Mine has sensory issues and will often anchor himself to an adult, I am forever grateful for the warm and caring staff who has always given him what he needed when he was feeling lost and I could not be there.

Cosmetologists, barbers, masseuse, etc. absolutely have to touch people as part of their job. I don't see why it could not be required of characters at Disneyworld.

Do you seriously not get the difference between those professions when it comes to the service they have to provide, and what a character at Disney has too? I'll give you a hint, those jobs require touching the body in order to do the job. There is no need to touch a child in order to interact with them. Interaction can happen without physical contact in case you were unaware of how it works.
OP, it is real disappointing to you, but the next child's parent whose kid Tiana touches is thankful that Tiana has some standards when it comes to hygiene during cold and flu season.
If you know your kid sucks their thumb bring some wipes and clean them up before you expect someone to touch their germy selves.

I totally understand how you feel. Cinderella is my DD's absolute favorite princess and when she was 3, we got a bad Cinderella at CRT. She was not pleasant at all and even ignored and turned her back on my daughter at one point when she asked her where Prince Charming was-- you can also see on her face in our pictures that she did not want to be there. It wasn't just us either. I don't know what was going on with her that day, but it was so bad that my 3 year old declared her an imposter standing in for the real Cinderella who was busy in ToonTown. Most of our character interactions have been great.

BUT-- I wonder if there was something else going on here. Maybe Tiana felt like she was coming down with the flu or was otherwise ill and was concerned that your DD was little and would pick up germs and put her hands in her mouth - or maybe a child or two before yours was sick and had coughed all over her and she was concerned your child would pick up those germs and put her hands in her mouth. I know one time, we had waited in line for Snow White for about 10 minutes and she suddenly took off unexpectedly and there were some littles who were not happy as we were told she was not coming back. I asked the CM if she was okay and if she would be back for later sets and the CM whispered to me that it was a stomach bug. Very glad she left before my DD was hugging on her that day!

Sorry, but IMO a bit of an over reaction here. I can understand being a bit disappointed if the experience wasn't what you had hoped it would be. However unless the character was outright and openly rude or mean, I don't think it's worth getting so livid over.

Why? Last I checked, touching little kids is not looked upon too highly, either. I personally would not be too thrilled if my kids came home telling me that their teacher gave them a hug at school, no matter the age.
You said you wouldn't even high-5 a kid. A kindergarten classroom with not even a high-5 or fist bump would be a sad, clinical place.

I don't understand with the "no touching" theory being applied, yet we have seen millions of pictures of kids being hugged or what about the bright red lipstick left behind from a kiss from snow white.

No one is saying it's not ok for someone to NOT want to be touched. Just that physical contact with children is part of this particular job. I don't want to be vomited or pooped on, so I'm not a nurse. Becoming a nurse and then trying to make my employer prevent that from happening is not reasonable... it's part of the job.

It is very competitive to become a Disney princess in many ways, these are not people who are forced to take this horrible job to make ends meet. If you don't want to have the warmth of physical contact with kids, then a princess at one of the parks is really not the job for you. You have every right to decide that about your body but then pick a job that does not entail what you are not comfortable with.

Do you seriously not get the difference between those professions when it comes to the service they have to provide, and what a character at Disney has too? I'll give you a hint, those jobs require touching the body in order to do the job. There is no need to touch a child in order to interact with them. Interaction can happen without physical contact in case you were unaware of how it works.
OP, it is real disappointing to you, but the next child's parent whose kid Tiana touches is thankful that Tiana has some standards when it comes to hygiene during cold and flu season.
If you know your kid sucks their thumb bring some wipes and clean them up before you expect someone to touch their germy selves.

I do believe that anyone can refuse at any given time. We weren't at this interaction, so if the kid was oozing germs, I can understand. I don't believe a Disney character or my hairdresser has to physically touch my child who looks like she is carrying the plague.

However, the idea that NO physical contact is required of Disney character actors is silly. No, they can't effectively interact from across the room. I can't see one being good and refusing to hug small children routinely. I would posit that maybe you don't understand human interaction if you think that no physical contact whatsoever can be the same as even a high-5 or hug.

However, the idea that NO physical contact is required of Disney character actors is silly. No, they can't effectively interact from across the room. I can't see one being good and refusing to hug small children routinely. I would posit that maybe you don't understand human interaction if you think that no physical contact whatsoever can be the same as even a high-5 or hug.

I have no idea whether or not Disney requires touching, however I bet they allow a character to use their own judgment on whether or not to allow touching during certain situations. I would be very surprised to find out that Disney fores their employees to touch, especially kids, no matter what. In this case it sounds like she did want the OP's child to pass along germs to her, and the other children she would be interacting with. Good on her.

And now you are just using hyperbole to try to validate your opinion. Nobody is talking about being across the room. It is certainly possible to interact with a child without physical contact. We are talking what a 90 second meet and greet with a 2 year old who doesn't even remember this incident. She's over it, it's time for mom to be too.

From what I have seen, some characters are touchy, and some are not. I’m sorry that you had a bad experience, OP. I would suggest bringing wet wipes. But really, Wet wipes or not— the way you describe her saying no to a high five would definitely put me on the defensive as well! It should be no surprise that children, toddlers, and babies put their hands in their mouth. As a nurse, I can also confirm that ADULTS put their hands in their mouth, as well ;)

When I meet characters, I prefer not to be touched. I’m not a touchy person, but hugs are okay. It doesn’t ruin the experience whether I high five, fist bump, hug, or not— but I’m an adult.

I’m a nurse, I have healing hands. But my hands are gloved, and I wear PPE whenever neccessary. No matter the profession, protect yourself before you can protect others.

I have no idea whether or not Disney requires touching, however I bet they allow a character to use their own judgment on whether or not to allow touching during certain situations. I would be very surprised to find out that Disney fores their employees to touch, especially kids, no matter what. In this case it sounds like she did want the OP's child to pass along germs to her, and the other children she would be interacting with. Good on her.

And now you are just using hyperbole to try to validate your opinion. Nobody is talking about being across the room. It is certainly possible to interact with a child without physical contact. We are talking what a 90 second meet and greet with a 2 year old who doesn't even remember this incident. She's over it, it's time for mom to be too.

The hyperbole was introduced earlier that it is not required to have physical contact. I am sure there is discretion, but I am also sure there is no way a character would remain employed if all the interactions were smiling, talking and staying at an arms distance from guests.

OP here, and I’m reading the discussion with interest.

There was no indication Tiana was sick, and my DD was not either. She did not have a runny nose or any other indication of illness. Someone asked if there was an element of the story left out, and the answer is no. We waited in line, got up there, and Tiana signed my DDs book but refused all physical interaction or touch with her. She was the only character to do so. Tiana said she had her hands and fingers in her mouth - that was her explanation.

My point is that the behavior of my DD is typical toddler behavior. To refuse contact because my kid acted like a kid bothers me. Think about all the things kids touch at Disney! If it was a germ issue, they could offer hand sanitizer (though I personally think that shouldn’t be necessary).

I don’t know Disney’s policy on touching, but I think the PP over generalizes a touching liability issue. The expectation of that role is there would be some physical contact, so no, Disney wouldn’t be liable for every single person walking in. I’m watching Disney videos now that clearly show face characters hugging. Belle’s meet and greet has a ton of interaction. It’s silly to suggest characters have a no contact rule from Disney due to liability. And for those that are curious, yes, I AM a lawyer.

We had an awesome trip, so this event didn’t prevent me from enjoying it. But would I meet her again? Nope. I vividly remember the look of disgust on her face, so no, I don’t want a re-do. And I was bothered enough to complain, mainly because, as I said above, she was upset about my kid being a kid. The cast member needs to be reassigned.

Rapunzel rocked, though. Got on her knees to be at DDs height. Tiana should take a few lessons from her!

We had an awesome trip, so this event didn’t prevent me from enjoying it. But would I meet her again? Nope. I vividly remember the look of disgust on her face, so no, I don’t want a re-do. And I was bothered enough to complain, mainly because, as I said above, she was upset about my kid being a kid. The cast member needs to be reassigned.

you do realize that it's an actress and not an actual person named Tiana right? It sounds from your first post and from this that you think she is an actual person and now you're not even going to show your child her movies because of how this one disney employee acted. It's an actress, and I'm sure not even remotely the only one who plays Tiana in the parks. You could visit her again and it's more likely you'd get someone different than the same. This is an issue for particularly observant kids who see the same face characters in multiple locations.

I understand you had a bad experience but it's not the franchise, it's one particular CM.

you do realize that it's an actress and not an actual person named Tiana right? It sounds from your first post and from this that you think she is an actual person and now you're not even going to show your child her movies because of how this one disney employee acted. It's an actress, and I'm sure not even remotely the only one who plays Tiana in the parks. You could visit her again and it's more likely you'd get someone different than the same. This is an issue for particularly observant kids who see the same face characters in multiple locations.

I understand you had a bad experience but it's not the franchise, it's one particular CM.

Huh? Of course I do! But it leaves a distaste in my mouth for that character, period. Just like the little girl who met a bad Cinderella.

Business wise, the CM should not be a meet and greet princess. Period.

The hyperbole was introduced earlier that it is not required to have physical contact. I am sure there is discretion, but I am also sure there is no way a character would remain employed if all the interactions were smiling, talking and staying at an arms distance from guests.

I'm sure you are right but nobody here knows if that particular CM refuses to touch everyone that comes to meet her. And I'm sure there are some details being left out, even if mom says there isn't.
I'm sorry but wanting her reassigned because she didn't want to touch your germy hand kid is over the top. I guess the OP doesn't get that her child isn't the center of the universe and that the other children in line behind her deserve not to touch Tiana's glove that has some little girls saliva on it. And really its a 2 year old, give me a break she isn't going to be traumatized by this. Some people take these character interactions way to seriously, its a lady in a costume, your kid moved on to the next one. To be livid because one wouldn't give her a high five is borderline lunacy.

Tiana didn't touch me, either and it was one of the best princess meets I've ever had. We curtsied to each other and chatted a bit, then took a picture.

In my experience not every character hugs the kids. Elsa didn't hug my daughter a few years ago. You can't expect them to all do the same thing.

LOL. Y’all are funny! But missing the point. The Tiana CM was rude - to me and my kid. She acted like my DD2 was disgusting and diseased. Her concern was something she will experience every day. If it’s a problem, change the job, or get over it.

And no, we aren’t the center of the universe. I just expected to get what I paid for! But I’ve sent the complaint and done what I can do. Time for me to move on too. I will try to post here if Disney responds. Maybe that’s why they gave me an extra FOP Fastpass? LOL!

On a slightly different note, I observed an interesting problem at the Hollywood and Vine breakfast. Doc came around and this lady had 5-7 things for her to sign. She wasn’t ready when Doc got there, then wanted Doc to stay and sign t-shirts, picture mats, etc. Doc called a handler over. I’m glad - a book or two is one thing, but I was surprised they brought so much with no recognition of others or the CM themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter