Back from our rainy, but fabulous trip! 5/16-5/24/18

JerseyJanice

A Disboards original...
We had a fantastic time. :) The magic lives on.

I am exhausted, so just the quick highlights for now:

The Hall of Presidents is great. It is different than I recall, and I think the current show is very well done. I remember it being mainly focused on the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. First time I saw it was 1972. Last time was 2009. We also found the displays of Presidential memorabilia in the lobby very interesting.

Rivers of Light is worth seeing at least once. It doesn’t have the Wow! factor that a show with pyrotechnics has, but I thought it was beautiful to see and hear. The two babies with me were mesmerized by it. :)

I now officially love Happily Ever After. Saw it three times this trip. The colors, the music, the fireworks—it’s got everything. One night, it didn’t have Tinkerbell, I assume because the rain got intense a couple of times that night.

The photo that is sent to the future worked on Spaceship Earth. This is the first time in years that our pics were up on the walls at the exit.

Never sit in the last row of a log on Splash Mountain. I mentioned this important Disney life lesson on another thread, but it’s worth repeating. Don’t agree to be sat there unless you want your bottoms to be soaked.

We thought the refurb of HOP was an improvement also.

I don’t believe that George Washington stood up in previous versions I’ve seen so I think that was new.

I also don’t recall the previous shows touching on so many 20th century events—the Great Depression, WWII, the Civil Rights movement, the race to outer space, etc. I think all that is new to the show.

We were there from the 14th-21st, so I also got to enjoy a rainy trip. :)

It was our first time so I have no comparison, but I feel like we actually got more accomplished than I thought we would due to the crowds thinning out in rain. Multiple trips with virtually no wait on BTMR, Splash Mt, POC, Kali River, Toy Story Mania...

Also, I have no idea what the reason is but I sat in the back at Splash mountain the first few times and barely a splash, but when I sat in the front I got soaked!

@Honeypot We got a lot done too, but there were some times when we just didn’t bother going out because we didn’t feel like getting wet again.

Toward the beginning of the ride on Splash, we got soaked by the splash from another log going down the big drop. It nailed only the last row of our log, and that’s why I’m saying don’t sit there. When he sat us there, the CM made a joke about how wet we’d get in the last row, so I was like, “Ah ha!” when we got drenched.

@JerseyJanice I know. By the end of the trip I got over feeling a bit damp a big part of the day, and taking on and putting off the rain ponchos over and over again. I think we were just riding the first time high!

I will consider myself lucky that I didn't get soaked on every ride of Splash then. Although when we went on Splash and on Kali, I was like well I am already wet, so seems like the perfect time to do these rides :D

@Honeypot
Toward the beginning of the ride on Splash, we got soaked by the splash from another log going down the big drop. It nailed only the last row of our log, and that’s why I’m saying don’t sit there.

That happened to my husband and I when we were there a week ago! Thankfully it was a sunny, warm morning! We were drenched but the kids in front were completely soaked as well from the Splash down. We were there from 12-19th. It rained, but nothing that stopped us and we actually had four good afternoon pool days.

"Never sit in the last row of a log on Splash Mountain. I mentioned this important Disney life lesson on another thread, but it’s worth repeating. Don’t agree to be sat there unless you want your bottoms to be soaked."

Oh sure, now you tell me. Rode is last night and walked away with a very wet bottom. For the record, from the ride and not anything else!

Ocean Wave Dave

Also, I have no idea what the reason is but I sat in the back at Splash mountain the first few times and barely a splash, but when I sat in the front I got soaked!

Us, too! The CM assigned us to the front row, and I said we didn't want to get wet. She told us only the last row would. So naturally, the first row we were in got drenched. Figured she lied to get us to sit in the front.

Glad you had a great trip. Hall of Presidents was still closed when we were there. Have heard the new version is really good. Looking forward to seeing it.
Agree with RoL and HEA.
Splash Mountain, whe we have been on it, it seemed the front got soaked from the splash coming back on the front rather than the drops. The back stayed much drier. I think it also depends on how much weight you have in the log and how it is distributed. We saw one log filled with big guys and they all got soaked. Didn't matter where they were sitting.

We had a fantastic time. :) The magic lives on.

I am exhausted, so just the quick highlights for now:

The Hall of Presidents is great. It is different than I recall, and I think the current show is very well done. I remember it being mainly focused on the Revolutionary and Civil Wars. First time I saw it was 1972. Last time was 2009. We also found the displays of Presidential memorabilia in the lobby very interesting.

Rivers of Light is worth seeing at least once. It doesn’t have the Wow! factor that a show with pyrotechnics has, but I thought it was beautiful to see and hear. The two babies with me were mesmerized by it. :)

I now officially love Happily Ever After. Saw it three times this trip. The colors, the music, the fireworks—it’s got everything. One night, it didn’t have Tinkerbell, I assume because the rain got intense a couple of times that night.

The photo that is sent to the future worked on Spaceship Earth. This is the first time in years that our pics were up on the walls at the exit.

Never sit in the last row of a log on Splash Mountain. I mentioned this important Disney life lesson on another thread, but it’s worth repeating. Don’t agree to be sat there unless you want your bottoms to be soaked.
Glad you had a great time!
We will be doing HOP for our first time this trip. I agree with you about ROL but my 9 yo insists we do it again this trip!! Love, love, love HEA!!!! Glad you loved it too!!
I'll remember about the last row on splash!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter