Avatar strategy when FP unavailable

kpgclark

<font color=339900>There's nothing hum drum about
I'm staying off site in exactly 30 days with my hubby. It's been many years since I've been to WDW and this is my first time using the online FP system and I haven't seen any of the Avatar attractions. I really want to get a FP to Avatar. I logged on this morning to find there are no Avatar FP available. I made FP ressies for Navi and the first available time is 1:50. I also made Expedition Everest at 9:15 and Kilamanjaro at 4:30. What should be my strategy for seeing Avatar? How do I check availability without cancelling my Navi tickets? I don't know what to do. Help!

Editing to add that I changed the Expedition Everest to 9:55 thinking maybe we'll just go to Avatar straight away right after the park opens....

I'm staying off site in exactly 30 days with my hubby. It's been many years since I've been to WDW and this is my first time using the online FP system and I haven't seen any of the Avatar attractions. I really want to get a FP to Avatar. I logged on this morning to find there are no Avatar FP available. I made FP ressies for Navi and the first available time is 1:50. I also made Expedition Everest at 9:15 and Kilamanjaro at 4:30. What should be my strategy for seeing Avatar? How do I check availability without cancelling my Navi tickets? I don't know what to do. Help!

I assume by "Avatar" you mean "Flights of Passage." Avatar is the land, the attraction is FoP.

To look for a FoP FP, just go to your Na'vi FP and click modify. It will show you what else is available, including FoP. You can only see if FoP is available by trying to modify the Na'vi FP since both are a tier 1 and you can only have one tier 1 FP. If there are no FoP, it will be at the very bottom with no availability. As long as you don't confirm a change to anything, your existing Na'vi FP will stay unchanged. You can do this over and over up until the day of to see if FoP becomes available.

If it does not become available, you have two options. Make sure your AK day is NOT an EMH day. Get to AK at least one hour before opening. That will put you towards the front of the crowd that will be heading to FoP. They will allow everyone into AK sometime between 15 and 30 min before opening and then hold you at the bridge. You're still waiting an hour, but that hour is outside of park time, so you're not wasting touring time.

The other option is to wait until closing. Enjoy Avatar in the evening when it all lights up, then get into the FoP line about 15 min before closing. You may still wait an hour, but not likely, and it's at the end of the day, so it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the great advice! So do you think it is better to have FP for FoP over Na'vi? I'm wondering if I should bother changing the FP's or just stick with what I have and use your advice.

It is much better to have a FP for FoP over Navi River, however booking 30 days out, you likely won't see a Flight of Passage FP pop up. If you don't, then keep the NRJ FP.

To do FoP I recommend two options..either arrive at AK on a non EMH morning at least 60 min prior to park opening, or wait until near park closing to get in line. These will offer the shortest waits

We couldn't get FOP at 60 days out, but we have Navi and Kilamanjaro and Dinosaur, we will keep trying but I am not expecting to get FOP. Not doing the park at RD, so we are opting for standby at end of day as others have suggested. I plan to get in line about 15 minutes before close; others have said that the posted waits will most likely be more than the actual wait ime. Hoping that to be the case and SO EXCITED about FOP, have read that it is fabulous!:cheer2:Enjoy!:goodvibes

Agree with the others. Be standing at the park entrance 60-75 minutes before the park opens. Calculate your wake up time, travel time, and parking/walking time carefully. Showing up even 10 or 12 minutes later may cost you 40 minutes or more of extra wait time. If you have already put in so much effort, it would be ashame to miss the mark and still have a long wait.

I would go at rope drop as others have suggested but yes, arrive at the gates at least an hour before opening. FOP is still the hottest ticket in town and many can't get a fp for it even 60 days or more out. So don't feel bad! You can keep checking.. something may eventually pop up with people dropping things and changing their plans.

I second what others have said. Show up 60 plus minutes before opening in a regular park opening day and get in line to rope drop. U should be ok. Plan on traffic and parking time. U want to be in line at turnstiles 60 plus minutes early.

Another vote for being early to rope drop for FoP. I will suggest 90 minutes early to be at or near the front of the line. If you are willing to spend time waiting before the park opens you will be off FoP just a few minutes after park opening and then have the rest of the day for other attractions. If you quickly head over to Navi River you will be able to ride with little or no wait. I have done this a couple of times and have been been finished both attractions no later than 20 minutes after park opening. I drove in from offsite this August and accomplished FoP, Navi River, Bug's Life, Dinosaur, FP'd the Safari and was waiting in line for an early lunch at the Flametree BBQ by 10:50am.

I much prefer to spend my time waiting before the park opens and then get a lot done in those first few hours before the park really fills up.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

Just got back from WDW. We were at AK on Friday and rope dropped Flights of Passage. We got in line about :45 before the park opened. They started letting us in about :15 before the park opened and we went straight to Pandora to wait until it opened at 9:00. Then we lined up for FOP and waited about :20 in line. It wasn’t bad at all. We also got in line to ride it about :30 before close. As long as you are in the actual queue before the park closes, they’ll let you ride. It was totally worth it to end our vacation with FOP.

What about if there are Extra Magic Hours? How long before the extra magic hours begin would we need to get in line? This is over Christmas week with an 8 am opening and EMH starting at 7.

What about if there are Extra Magic Hours? How long before the extra magic hours begin would we need to get in line? This is over Christmas week with an 8 am opening and EMH starting at 7.

If you don't want to "waste" the whole EMH hour, I would still be there at least 30 min before, and probably 45. That's the busiest week of the year and resort guests will be just like you wanting to ride with little wait.

If you don't want to "waste" the whole EMH hour, I would still be there at least 30 min before, and probably 45. That's the busiest week of the year and resort guests will be just like you wanting to ride with little wait.
Thank you! I am trying to mentally prepare for that week. It was the only week we all could go and taking a friend of my sons who has never been to Disney and wanting a great experience despite what the crowds will be. FOP is at the top of the list. Hoping we will score a fast pass, but gotta have a back up plan.

Riding right at park closing is also a great strategy. They heavily inflate the wait times then. For example, if the park closes at 9, at 8:30 the posted standby wait time might be 90 minutes. But, really, it's probably no more than 30 or 40.

Flight of Passage is a must-do. Do not miss it!

I would get in line 5 minutes before closing. No way would I go through that RD crowd going into Pandora.

On our rope drop days for AK and DHS we are going in the opposite direction of Avatar and TSL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter