Autograph books - what age to start?

MI-Parrothead

Earning My Ears
What do you think the best age is to start autograph books for kids? My girls are five and I'm debating on whether or not to take them to the parks with us. This is the first time at the parks so there will be SO much to take in already - will this add to the fun or be "one more thing" to deal with?

What has your experience been?

Thanks for your guidance, oh Disney wise ones!!

:) jody

My son was just barely 4 when we went, and he had a blast with his autograph book. It is probably his favorite souvenier. :goodvibes Oh, and it was our 1st ever trip.

I am starting my daughter one when we leave in 2 weeks!!! She is 2

guh - NEVER. I hate the blasted things. And my son [7] JUST asked me yesterday if they could do one. I looked at him and said, "if we walk up to Mickey Mouse and you had the pen and book over, are you really getting a mouse's signature or some guy in a mouse suit?" He smirked. I said, "You really want some strange person writing Mickey's name down in a book? What good is that going to do you, in say, a week?" He got me.

Yes - cynical Mommy. Cynical Mommy that hates spending another three minutes in line per child in front of you for an "autograph." Hey, I like make believe as much as the next guy [well maybe not quite as much as some :p] but I don't need to wait in line longer than necessary!

Jody- You are wise for considering whether or not to deal with this because it can be a hassle. Are your girls excited about meeting characters? Any one in particular? If so, I'd take an autograph book (or two) and let them decide when you get there. If they see a character they recognize and want to go meet them, you'll be glad to have a book on hand. But I wouldn't hop from character line to character line. Too much waiting around for us and my boys couldn't really care less at this point (they are 5 and 3).
If you decide you do want to meet a lot of characters for autographs, you might want to do some research on the best places to do so (shortest wait times, best chance of seeing your faves, etc.) I know there are many different locations to meet them and some are busier than others.

My daughter was 8 months when we did our first, but that was mainly for my scrapbook. ;)

She did one when she was 2 and she loves it! She has taken it to preschool for show and tell and memorized which signature belonged to which character. It is her favorite thing from the trip.

My girls were about 2 when we started...if it takes a few extra minutes for my child to be happy and get a character's autograph (yes it is real to the kids) then so be it..thats what we are there for the kids.....

My daughter did one her first trip, when she was 4 1/2. We bought a small memo pad with a picture of Mickey at a nearby supermarket and brought a pink thin highlighter with us for signing. She loved collecting autographs from characters, even those she didn't know (Country Bears). When we went back 6 months later, she did it again.

My son's first trip will be later this month. He's already said he wants to ride rides, not meet characters, so he may not be into it. But we'll bring something for him anyway (he tends to change his mind a lot). Not sure if DD will still be into it this time now that she understands who the "characters" are.

We are making autograph books for our kids...DD-13, DS-8 and DD-3. They are just as excited to get the autographs as I am. And for them to have ownership in their albums is priceless. We did this on our last few trips to DL and it was a blast. What pages don't get signed we then fill in with pictures of them from the trip and it becomes a "one of a kind" souviner.

We did one last year with DD and she was 2. To me it ended up being a big pain because she didn't really care and all she wanted to do was see the characters. I ended up being the one giving it to the characters and consequently was missing getting really cute pictures. This year I think we are going to take a break from using it. She still really only cares to see the characters. But, this all may depend on the child. This was just our experience. I think your 5 year old should be able to do it and enjoy the experience much better, so for that age, yes I would do it. Just about everyone you see is getting the autographs.

I would definitely leave the kids home. They whine and have to get smacked around all day. It just gets to be a hastle.:cool1:

to myself that it did sound like I was questioning whether or not to take the girls!

Thanks all for your perspectives....I like the idea of buying a book and pre-thinking it out so that pictures can be put in with the autographs - I can see how the girls would treasure that for a long time to come.

I'll probably take them and just see how it goes. (the books AND the girls!!) :rotfl2:

jody

We did it the first year when my girls were 5 and 2. This past sept, we did not girls were 7 and 4 I though it was great. They still got to meet the charactors at the meals. And at MGM Mulan was coming out we were walking by so we got a pic with her cause we were the first people in line. Also waited about 5 mins after the playhouse disney show for Golith as that is dd 4 favorite.

Next year it is up to them. They will be 8 and 5

From my own experiences with my kids, your kids will have a blast with them. My 10 year old nephew still collects autographs. I say go for it, and if it's not your kids' cup of tea, put the books away for another trip (there's ALWAYS another trip in the works, now, isn't there?:cool1: ). Personally, I was thinking about doing it MYSELF next year - the opportunities to embarrass the crap out of my kids are bottomless!!!:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

We are going to try it. Kids are 5 and almost 3 and LOVE characters. If it becomes too much of a hassle or the kids don't like it, then we can save the books and use them another time. But I think they are going to really enjoy it. Especially when they get back home.

We have always taken an autograph right from the first trip when my son was 23 months. He has always loved it, even on the last trip he took one - he's just turned 13 (though so I think this year he may give it a miss) - my daughter would not miss it for the world. Yes, it eats up time - so what. My life is rushing around at breakneck speed all the time, it we can't stop for a character's autograph then what is vacation for.

We stood in line at the Epcot character spot last week and there were kids of all ages bouncing around in anticipation at getting their books signed and looking through the ones they already had. If they want to meet the characters then take a book while they're young enough to appreciate that kind of magic.

I did my first autograph book when I was 29 and had designed a page for each character - I got so much more interaction from them as they pointed to their pictures - I got a kick out of it - and it would have made my year if I were little!

My kids also love getting autographs. They started at 2, of course neither were afraid of characters. It is especially great if you have character meals and can get the autographs without having to stand in line. We look at the past years books all the time. This year I got 2 ring binders that fit notecards, flipped the cards so the blank page is on top for the characters to sign. I plan on cutting out the autographs for scrapbooks this year. The characters are going to sign in different color markers that I have in a ziploc. I decorated the front- the binders have a plastic pocket to slip in the front cover. That way I also could make their own front. One says Princess Alicia's friends and the other Luke's 10th Birthday Bash. I got the binders at walmart. (3 weeks from today we will be using them) :banana:

Our kids, DS8 & DD5 liked getting autographs. We bought DD2 one as well and had the characters sign hers so she'd have some to look at when she gets older. Towards the end of the trip DD2 was taking her book & pen to a couple of characters. She loved Tigger! Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest