Aunty's Beach House and Special Needs

JenJenJen

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

My daughter is about to be granted a Make a Wish. We've selected Disney's Aulani in Hawaii. I've been reading up and see the childcare service at Aunty's Beach House. My other 2 would be perfect for it. However, I wonder if they make accommodations for kids with special needs.

My girl is slightly mobile but does use a wheelchair. She's in diapers and has no hand use. She is also non-verbal. Would Aunty's Beach House be able to work with her? In my ideal world, while her siblings are there, my girl would have a one on one caregiver. Do you know if they have anything like that?

Jennifer

Questions about accommodating children with special needs at the kids' programs has been asked here before. I'm not sure we've had a definite answer. You might try posting on the Aulani forum as well.

However, if your daughter will need direct 1:1 assistance to be in the program, I honestly wouldn't expect them to accommodate. The childcare programs as WDW as well as on DCL require that children be able to participate in group environments without need for a 1:1, and they are not authorized for diapering. Since this is a WISH trip, your WISH granters may be able to work something out but I suggest you specifically ask about this accommodation if it's important to you.

Enjoy your WISH trip!

Questions about accommodating children with special needs at the kids' programs has been asked here before. I'm not sure we've had a definite answer. You might try posting on the Aulani forum as well.

However, if your daughter will need direct 1:1 assistance to be in the program, I honestly wouldn't expect them to accommodate. The childcare programs as WDW as well as on DCL require that children be able to participate in group environments without need for a 1:1, and they are not authorized for diapering. Since this is a WISH trip, your WISH granters may be able to work something out but I suggest you specifically ask about this accommodation if it's important to you.

Enjoy your WISH trip!

I feel bad. I just suggested to the OP (over in Aulani) that she come ask here. OP, sorry, genuinely not trying to give you the run around. It can be hard to find the right information.

Disney most definitely does NOT provide caregivers in this capacity from what I understand. Mostly for liability reasons....

Thanks everyone. The people at Make A Wish are looking. It honestly isn't that big of a deal. I was just hoping to keep her with her siblings for events that are kid centered. We may not even use Aunty's Beach House. I was mostly interested for the goo and volcano making events.

They would not be able to offer 1:1 care, could not feed, administer medication or change diapers.
But, they would be licensed as child care/day care providers and are subject to the ADA. So, they would have to make reasonable accommodations for needs related to disability if possible. That does mean that if a child is not toilet trained due to their disability, they can't just say no. They would not have to change diapers, but would need to accommodate that disability related need in some way.

In the Florida Children's Activity 'clubs' accommodation has included things like the parent coming to administer medication and either parent coming at a set time or being called if diapering was needed.

Your best bet would be to contact them or have Make a Wish contact them directly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter