Aulani Trip Report- October 2018

What a fun day! Did you have your own underwater or use the one they provided?

We actually had three of our own. Most of the photos above are with a Nikon Coolpix AW100 we bought for our Disney Dream cruise back in 2012 so its hardly the latest model but still takes pretty good photos. The underwater ones by DD13 (and the close up of DD9 in her snuba gear) are with a Fuji Finepix XP130 underwater camera that IL's gave DD13 for her birthday partly in anticipation of the trip. We also had a GoPro with us and shot a bunch of video on that but I didn't try to post any videos. So I can't comment on the one they provide nor did I see anyone else using theirs, to be honest. They do sell the disposable underwater cameras in the marina store as well but I really wouldn't bother with those... they're terrible.

Last edited:
Zip Lining at Keana Farms, North Shore Tourist Eating and Photo Session- Friday

The next morning we had booked a zip lining adventure at Climbworks Keana Farms (https://www.climbworks.com/keana_farms/). We chose this place over Kualoa Ranch based in part on some TRs I read on the DIS but largely because DD7 didn't meet the height/weight requirements for Kualoa but was OK for Climbworks and she wanted to go. Our reservation was at 9:30am but you are supposed to arrive 30min early. We weren't sure how much traffic we would encounter so we left around 7:45am.

I'm not sure if it was because we didn't have to go all the way into Honolulu or what but we weren't too impressed with the dreaded Oahu traffic. There was a little bit near Wheeler Airfield but that was it. We got to Keana Farms in plenty of time.
IMG-4633.jpg

MIL did not want to zip line and FIL ended up decided not to go either. The rest of us checked in and got fitted for our harnesses. DH had brought the GoPro and some various options to attach it with but the were able to provide him with a helmet that already had a GoPro mount- sweet! There was another small group of 3 they put with us (so a total of 10) and we set off. They have you do one zipline near the check in area I think as something of a "shakedown" in case anyone finds out zip lining isn't for them or they need to adjust anything. DD7 is pretty funny. She has been zip lining before but sometimes struggles with stepping off the platform. Somehow she convinced the guides to push her off instead (why she finds that less scary I don't understand!) and once she's moving loves it. By the end of course she was confidently stepping off on her own. Here's the first zip line (DD7 on the left).
IMG-4635.jpg

After the first line they have you load up in some ATVs and take you to the top of the hill for the real adventure. Climbworks is on a working farm and the ride up was really enjoyable. The driver told us all about the various crops and plants we went by on the way, even stopping briefly a couple times to talk about things.

The view from the top is beautiful.
IMG-4638.jpg

Our guides were 3 late teens early twenties guys who were super nice, great with the kids and pretty funny too. We really enjoyed our zip lining adventure at Climbworks and would highly recommend it. I'd never been zip lining and thought it was awesome!
Again, as it's a working farm, they told us a little about the crops we would zip over and after two of the lines they actually had samples- macadamia nuts at one (that you had to crack yourself- kinda fun) and apple bananas at the other. Both were delicious! There were also plenty of water stations throughout the course. Moving from zip line to zip line wasn't too strenuous but there were a few steep stairs/ramps, a couple suspension bridges and one section where they have you hoist yourself up (but they'll help you if you can't make it).
DD13 hoisting herself up
original-4.jpg

A few more photos:
DD13 and DH
original-23.jpg

DD7 on the left, DD9 on the right
IMG-4646.jpg

IMG-4657.jpg

The last line they call their trick line. For all others they have you keep your hands on the handle bar. For this one, they tell you you can kick up your legs or even let go and "hang" upside down for the first half of the zip. Amazingly, I was one of the only ones that managed/was willing to try full upside down.
(DD13 on the left, I'm on the right)
original-50.jpg

We really enjoyed the zip line adventure and highly recommend Climbworks. They take photos of you at several points throughout the course and you have the options of purchase them (individual or all) at the end. We decided to just purchase them all- I think it was $50. You get a link to download the photos. Several of the photos above are theirs and they got a number of good ones so it was worth it.

FIL and MIL did some driving around and sightseeing on the North Shore while we zip lined and met us at the bottom of the course when we finished (I texted them when we were starting the final zip so they knew when to head back). It was now about 11:30am and time for lunch. Lucky us...guess what's basically right across the street from Keana Farms?
IMG-4661.jpg

The shrimp were indeed delicious and our DDs were OK with the garlic hot dog they have as an alternate though we at least got them to try some shrimp. I like garlic but not too much so I was worried about getting just the full on garlic shrimp so we got one lemon butter and one scampi to share between DH, DD9 and me. The lemon butter was good but the scampi (the one with the garlic) was better and not too overpowering. The garlic butter was also delicious on the rice. The line to order moved fairly quickly but we did wait a bit for the food. All the adults in our group really like shrimp and agreed it was delicious and totally worth the wait (and GF!). There were some other food trucks in this little area but we didn't visit any of them or pay particularly close attention to what they had, sorry.

To complete our North Shore tourist food stop, we hit up Matsumoto in Haleiwa on the way back.
IMG-4669.jpg

The line was a bit long but moved quickly. While the shave ice was good- perfect melt in your mouth consistency- we all ended up kind of deciding we just didn't love shave ice.

We had one last stop before heading back to Aulani. Remember DD13 had decided she really wanted a ukelele? We had done some research and while it would have been awesome to have visited one of the factories we didn't have time. We did find out there is a store in Haleiwa right down the street from Matsumoto's called The Ukelele Site that specializes in them. So we headed down there to see what they had, knowing that they would probably mostly be out of our price range. Indeed, the wide array of beautiful ukeleles they had were mostly out of our price range but the staff were super nice and helpful and did help DD13 select a nice entry level model that isn't Hawaiian made (the real Hawaiian made ones are $$$) but was the starter line for one of the Hawaiian ukelele companies. They were willing to restring it lefty for her but she ended up deciding to keep it strung the traditional way. Apparently one of the most famous ukelele players is a lefty who plays righty (according to the guy in the shop) so she was inspired. I admit it's always seemed odd to me with guitars etc that the traditional setup has you doing the more intricate fingerwork on the fret with your non-dominant hand so perhaps being a lefty playing righty is actually the secret to being a ukelele virtuoso. ;)

While we could have spent more time exploring the North Shore, we had to get back to Aulani. Our extended family has never taken family photos and its something MIL and I had been wanting. I suggested we consider doing this at Aulani. We talked through various options (trying the free PhotoPass by the beach, doing the 20 min reserved time or just going for the full portrait session) and decided on the full portrait session. As we were 8 people, we had to book the large session which is 40 minutes for $350 and includes a DVD with all photos BUT you don't pay until after you view the photos. If you don't like the photos you are not obligated to purchase. I called to book this about 2 weeks ahead of time and selected 4:40pm which was the last session before the $50 sunset premium kicked in. We didn't want full sunset photos anyway but I figured this way we would have some lovely "golden hour" lighting for at least part of our session as sunset was to be around 6pm. Normally they say you can view your photos 24hrs later in Kalepa store at the PhotoPass kiosks but I told them we were checking out early the next day. She assured us they would be ready for viewing by 8am the next morning.

We cut our time a little close getting everyone ready but we all made it down to the beach to meet our photographer by 4:45pm (the ones who were ready first made it down by 4:35ish to locate her). They had us meet her on the beach but off to the far left side near the public restrooms and past the wedding chapel. As we were walking down they were setting up a wedding on the terrace outside 'Ama 'Ama that looked gorgeous- that will be a memorable wedding for sure!

The photographer was wonderful. She did a good job of engaging the girls and taking a mix of photos. She had a small set up with some front light for fill as the sun was behind us as well. The only surprise was she did have us wading in the water for most of the shots. Two of my girls had long dresses on so weren't super exited about this but managed to deal with it and even knowing ahead of time I may still have gone with the same dresses as they worked so well together.

Needless to say we were very happy with the photos. Here are a few (she took 171 shots).
Photo-0004.jpg

Photo-0048-retouched.jpg

Photo-0117.jpg

She had us all do a fun one at the end where we were splashing water toward the camera
Photo-0141.jpg

Photo-0159.jpg

SIL and FIL ran off immediately after the photo session to "make a run to the store for something" while the rest of us went back up and tried to dry off the wet clothes. We had dinner reservations at Roy's which is at the golf club across the street in an hour or so. We had figured everyone would be dressed up and it would be a good evening for a nice dinner. The menu at 'Ama 'Ama didn't really appeal to everyone too much so we settled on Roy's instead.

At first we couldn't figure out where Roy's was. We went over to where google maps said it was but didn't see it. We drove around the golf club parking lot a few times before finally everyone got out to go look for it while I parked. It turns out it's behind/next to the clubhouse and you just go in there. When I walked back up on foot from parking I easily saw the sign above the breezeway but it's not positioned in a way that's easy to see from in a car under the portico.

I found Roy's to be OK but not amazing, especially for the price. In our group, people's assessment seemed to vary some based on what they ordered but no one was blown away. Service was also very slow (beyond this is a fancy restaurant and we serve you at a leisurely pace slow. Just plain slow. Super slow to take the order, appetizers then came pretty fast but very long wait for entrees, verrrryy long wait for the check etc).

Unbeknownst to me, the family had decided this was my birthday dinner even though, as mentioned earlier, my actual birthday isn't until December. But it was my birthday trip so I went along with it. They even went to the length of telling the server so they came and sang and everything. At this point I also found out why SIL and FIL and rushed off after photos. They had to go pick up a custom Gluten Free, Corn Free, Dairy Free cake they had ordered from a local bakery as a surprise.
IMG-4684.jpg

I had started to suspect something might be up but it was still a nice surprise. The cake itself was OK, not amazing- apparently there had been a mix up though. MIL had gone to order the cake from the bakery earlier in the week (and brought back the cupcakes DDs were secretly eating in their room when DH and I went across the street for ice cream) but when they tried to pick it up earlier that afternoon on the way back from Haleiwa the bakery had missed the order. The owner was super apologetic and threw something together but that was why SIL and FIL had to run off after photos- to go back and pick up the 'make up' cake which wasn't exactly what had been ordered as they were out of the filling. All in all, I certainly appreciated the surprise and it was a nice closure to our last night on vacation.

Next Up- Check Out and Final Thoughts

Check Out and Final Thoughts-Saturday

Sadly, we had reached the end of our trip. We all agreed that would could have spent several more days at Aulani as there were a number of things we didn't get to (more on that later). Guess we'll just have to go back! We have even toyed with DVC membership now...

We packed most of our stuff up Friday evening so Saturday wouldn't be too crazy. Our flight was at 11:45am so not really time to do much before leaving. Still, DD's couldn't miss getting their pool wristband for the day! They were disappointed that I made them cut them all off the day before for the family photo shoot and somehow that came up when we went by the pool that morning. The lady at the wristband/towel station actually offered to put on all the ones from the whole week for the girls! We ended up deciding they didn't need them as we had saved the ones we cut off the night before as mementos anyway but it was such a nice offer.

We decided to go across the street to Eggs 'N Things for breakfast "on our way" to the airport. But first we had to stop by Kalepa store to look at the photos from our portrait session (and purchase them if we liked them). MIL and I were pleased with the photos and then further surprised when the cashier gave us the DVC discount on the PhotoPass Portrait purchase based on our wristbands. We're not actually supposed to get this discount since we were renting points but had this happen a couple of times where they didn't even ask us- just applied the discount. While I certainly would not ask for it or count on it we were pleasantly surprised. I had planned to ask if my Disney Visa discount would apply but never even got the chance. MIL would be able to pick up the DVD on the way back from breakfast.

Side note- I did not know until this last day when I purchased an Aulani photo frame and the Alex and Ani Aulani bracelet that my Disney Visa discount applied at the Aulani gift shops (I only have the Disney Visa Debit card but the discount still applied). I didn't room charge this purchase since I didn't have my key with me and we were basically checked out but the cashier saw my card and mentioned that he was applying the Disney Visa discount for me. I wish I had realized this sooner as there was at least one other purchase that I made in Kalepa Store that I charged to the room but would have qualified for the discount had I realized- it didn't even occur to me.

Eggs 'n Things was good but not amazing. It was a nice final moment in Hawaii for us, though, as we ate out on the patio with everyone before heading off to the airport. Everyone else was heading back to Waikiki for a few days and then IL's were going to the big island as well. We all agreed that Aulani and the trip had been incredible and we would love to go back.

The drive to the airport and return at Hertz were uneventful. The Hertz staff were super nice though and talked up DD seeing that she had purchased the ukelele- telling her which YouTube lessons to check out etc. We ended up a little tight on time as the check in process is lengthy...first you have to put your baggage through agricultural inspection, then there were very long check in lines (even just bag drop!) for United, a painfully long and slow line for security- even though we have TSA PreCheck it still took quite a while- followed by a long trek to the gate so leave yourself adequate time when you fly out of HNL. Our flight home went by fairly quickly with the aid of a few movies and then our awesome trip was truly over. :sad:

After we got home I realized I completely forgot to look at our other PhotoPass photos while we were in Kalepa Store. We had not made an effort to seek out PhotoPass photographers or character so it was really just the lazy river ones and one other set from when we were doing the Menehune Mischief Trail. I have a Disneyland Annual Pass that includes PhotoPass and I had the codes so I put them in my Disneyland app to see if they would load. They photos did load and showed I could purchase them if I wanted. The next day, I went back in to look at them again and they were now free for download! So it seemed like there was a delay but eventually my PhotoPass benefit of my DL AP applied to the Aulani photos. I'm not sure this would have worked had I tried to view the photos on the website vs. in the app but if you do have a DL AP its worth a try. I am not sure if it would work for WDW AP holders with photo benefits as well.

Things We Didn't Get To (saved for next time! :p )
  • DD7 & DD9 were a little bummed they never got around to checking out Aunty's.
  • DD13 was bummed that she didn't get to check out any teen activities as they were only really offered Friday evening during our stay and we had other plans.
  • Maka'ika'i: Art and Culture of Aulani tour (also conflicted with other plans the two times it had been offered while we were there)
  • Animation class and maybe the painting class at the Pau Hana room (we were not interested in the T-Shirt stamping one which seemed like it was offered the most)
  • More time in the Lazy River
  • Finishing the outdoor Menehune Mischief Trail
  • Mo'Olelo Fire Pit Storytelling
  • An Ohana Movie Night on the lawn (instead of our balcony)
  • A beach fitness class
And that's just at Aulani! We would also go back to Pearl Harbor and visit the Missouri and other sites as well as other sightseeing on the island.

Things I Wouldn't Do Again
  • Waikiki. It just wasn't our vibe. It was useful as a one night stay for some Honolulu area tourist stuff on our first full day but otherwise definitely could have done without it.
  • Makahiki Dinner. It was OK and DD13 was thrilled to see Stitch but SOOO expensive for what it is.
  • Hanauma Bay. But only because the snorkel trip on the boat was so incredible.
  • Go to the grocery store on the way to Aulani check-in with everyone in tow.
Things I Wish I'd Packed
  • A couple of kitchen knives. The ones in the villa were...well used.
Little Things I Was So Glad I Did Pack
  • A small pair of scissors
  • The waterproof phone pouches
  • Reusable Grocery Bags
Things I Wish We Hadn't Packed
  • Our snorkel gear. We used it at Hanauma but could have rented. We just used the gear they had on the boat since it was a hassle to bring ours.
  • Beach Towels. We used towels from the hotel for Hanauma (they had them in the lobby for this purpose) and could have for other things as well. I probably still would have brought one or two but didn't need all the ones we brought.
  • Food. It ended up being super easy to find the Gluten Free food items we had brought with us on the island.
I know this took me forever to complete but thanks for reading and I hope it will be helpful for others planning their trips! We LOVED Aulani and can't wait to go back. Some other big travel plans in 2019 (Australia/New Zealand and Italy) means that won't be for a while but hopefully not too long!

We've just booked Aulani for next summer and found your TR really helpful. You've done a few of the things we are considering (star gazing, ukulele lessons and the photography class) and the details and lovely photos you've shared were great!

I'm also a lefty but would pick up a guitar/ukulele the same as a right handed person would, which my dad discovered after restringing a small guitar for me many years ago and ended up having to redo it the "right" way!:laughing:

We just rented points from David‘s for a Christmas trip to Aulani this December. It is the first time I’ve rented points from them and it is concerning me a little bit because I do not get an email directly from Disney. Did you get a email directly from Disney or just the information from David‘s? And were you able to check in 10 days in advance?

We just rented points from David‘s for a Christmas trip to Aulani this December. It is the first time I’ve rented points from them and it is concerning me a little bit because I do not get an email directly from Disney. Did you get a email directly from Disney or just the information from David‘s? And were you able to check in 10 days in advance?

I did get an email from Disney as well but it was a few days after the confirmations from David's. But I think others on here sometimes don't. Maybe it depends on how the point owner enters your info when they make the reservation? Regardless, I don't think you have anything to worry about- lots of people here have rented from David's without issue though I totally get the feeling of wanting that confirmation from Disney as well.

We had no trouble checking in online ahead of time.

how far in advance should I apply at Davides if going Jan 12, 2020?

You'll have to decide if you want to submit now or wait for the 7 month window. Prior to the 7 month window you pay an extra $1 per point. Depending on the length of your stay and room type being requested that may or may not be a big deal for you.

That said, I think your dates will probably be OK at 7 months unless you're trying to get something with very few rooms like a standard view 3bd villa. So what room type and view are you aiming for?

If you decide to wait for 7 mo I had planned to request right at 7 months but ended up doing so a week or two later but still had no problem getting our room (2bd island view for October 2018).

Just a studio. Planning Jan 12-17.

I think you will be ok at the 7 month window but if you want the peace of mind of booking now (and paying the $1/point premium) studios range from 85-125 points (85 for standard view, 95 for island view, 115 for pool view, 125 for ocean view) for your dates. So the most you'd be looking at for booking before 7 months is $125 extra. Only you can determine how that affects your budget vs. knowing your booked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter