Attention all you strength training gurus.....

jmasgat

DIS Veteran
Strength training is one of my weaknesses. I am making an effort to be better at it, but I find it hard to get motivated. So I have a "technical" question. Is there any good data that shows that a strength training routine must be performed all at once, versus doing a set spread out over the day in discrete chunks? While I would love to return from a run and buckle down to do a full set, I find I am more interested in breakfast and a second cup of coffee. So I am thinking of just doing things in chunks.

I have put together a couple of "short list" sets to do--I am really only looking at basic overall exercises to support running, and not anything else---this body will never be a Peloton-arm, Beach Body, HIIT- jacked, Insert-your-favorite-hyped-program-here temple. All I want is to get in the equivalent of 2 workouts/week, so the stakes are low.

Any thoughts?

My coach says to not do strength training when you're tired because the form won't be as good. I do strength training twice a week with schedules she puts together, and it's done on days when I don't run. Right now each day is 7 sets, with two of those being core work. I do sometimes break out that core work and do it later if I'm crunched for time.

It doesn't make a difference, just like any other type of exercise. The effects are cumulative, so you can break it up into chunks. In fact, it's probably better to do it that way. It's how I do it. I don't have a set routine. I just keep my weights handy and will randomly do sets throughout the day on days where I am doing weight training.

Just make sure you work each muscle group to exhaustion. This is easier to do when you are focusing on one type of exercise at a time. Like, if you are doing weighted squats, don't count reps, just go until you can't do anymore, then stop. Then rest for a bit and do the same thing for the next exercise. You should tire after somewhere between 12 and 20 reps. If you can keep going, add more weight.

have to agree with @OldSlowGoofyGuy. also counts for foam rolling. I asked my PT the best time to foam roll beside anytime is better than not doing it. She said after the run, but she was quick to say but anytime is better than not. I tend to foam roll after dinner or before bed. Like you after my run it is shower and coffee.

Like, if you are doing weighted squats, don't count reps, just go until you can't do anymore, then stop.

Go until your form slips. Not until you truly cannot do it, because your form will have slipped before you hit that point. You don't want to work like that with poor form.

What @DLgal describes is exactly how my trainer does it. But he will choose two or three exercises and do a rotation through them. Squats until you're tired, then bicep curls until you're tired, then ball crunches for 90 seconds. Back to squats, etc, for three reps each with maybe 30-60 seconds rest between exercises.

What @DLgal describes is exactly how my trainer does it. But he will choose two or three exercises and do a rotation through them. Squats until you're tired, then bicep curls until you're tired, then ball crunches for 90 seconds. Back to squats, etc, for three reps each with maybe 30-60 seconds rest between exercises.

Yeah, that's how I do it too. I couldn't figure out how to explain it better. I pick like 3 exercises and do them in succession, doing either 2 or 3 cycles. I already have a lot of muscle mass (just naturally easy for me to build muscle), so I'm more about maintaining than building up more, so I don't do too much. I only do this once a week. But I do it throughout the whole day, since I'm a stay at home parent.

Go until your form slips. Not until you truly cannot do it, because your form will have slipped before you hit that point. You don't want to work like that with poor form.

That's always a given when doing any exercise.

The method depends a lot on the goal. If you are just trying to stress the muscle, tendons, and joints a bit you can spread out your workout throughout the day. I know of people that have a pull up bar on their office door and when they go through the door they do 5 to 10 pull ups and go about their day. Phil Maffetone and Brad Kearns have some books and blogs about this method and it has some positives.

If you are looking for specific adaptations however, like muscle growth, a significant increase in strength, power, stamina, or a combination of them, you will want to fully fatigue the muscles during exercise. What that means will change a bit but will look different than just a few lower impact moves spread throughout the day.

Think about it like you would aligning methods with outcomes in endurance training. The method will differ dramatically depending on the goal. Is the goal a 10 second 100m, a 2:15 marathon, a 6:00 marathon, or just being able to walk a 5K. All of these are "endurance training" just like there are many methods of "strength training". Start with the goal and work backwards, don't try to make the routine fit the goal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter