• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arriving without booking.....risky?

siffen

Earning My Ears
....need some opinions on this.

We (my wife and me both 30 from Norway) arrive in Orlando about 3 pm on thursday 11th october.
We have not made any hotelresverations. We have heard there is no problem getting an hotel room at this time of the year, and that we could fine good 'last minute/drop in' deals at several hotels. We plan to stay at I-drive.

Is this very risky of us? Has any of you done this before? Do you have suggestions of hotels providing good 'last minute' deals?
We plan to stay for 5 days, and have never been to WDW before. Looking forward to it!!

I have never done this personally, but I do not think you would have any problems. It is off-season when you are going, and with the huge number of hotels there, I really don't think you will have problems. maybe someone else who has done it could give you better advice! Have a great trip!!:)

I'd suggest that you book something in advance.

It may be "low" season but trying to find a hotel that night may be a real pain. By the time you get out of the airport and over to I-Drive it will probably be at least 4-4:30pm. Traffic will be busy then (with daily commuters and tourists) on I-4 and I-Drive. Check-in times are usually between 3 and 4pm so hotels will be busiest then.

You may also get a better price in advance and avoid "flea bag" hotels. There are lots of good, low priced hotels around. Look at a few reviews here on the board. The reviews will give you an idea of what to avoid too.

October is becoming a more popular month to visit Orlando. WDW has it's Food & Wine Festival, Universal has Halloween Horror Nights and the weather is great then.

If you've never been to Orlando before, I would not recommend waiting til you get here to find a room. There are lots of good deals here on this website for hotel rooms, roomsavers.com and hotelkingdom.com. At least get a room for your first nigtes stay, until you get your bearings. Fatigue and Orlando traffic are not a good combination.

If you aren't renting a car, you might also want to select a hotel that has an I-Ride Trolley stop in front of it. That will get you up and down International Drive. I think a pass is about $7 a week.

You are coming to Orlando on October 11th? You will be one of the few tourists in town...you should have no problems finding a room.

If you like bargaining for rooms, try Kissimmee, which is located at the Maingate to Disney. Here you will find a lot of family owned hotels where you can strike up a good deal!

Cheers!

I do not think you should have any problems at all . I live 50 min. away from WDW and on the local news they are reporting such a decline in attendance. The hotels are offering the lowest discounts I've seen in years! Try www.travelsaverguides.com for coupons that most are for walk-ins only. We were always able to find hotels even during peak season with no problem.

:D Cindy-Lou :D

Just to confirm, attendances are down in Orlando this year, although Disney have cut a lot of their hotel discounts in October, indicating a slight upturn to coincide with the start of 100 Years of Magic. However, you shouldn't have a problem on I-Drive or along Highway 192 in Kissimmee. You might likie to take a look in advance at the Orlando Hotel Discounts link at the top of this page to get an idea of some good rates at good hotels in advance.

I heard Orlando has over 100,000 hotel rooms, maybe even more. Unless you are going during an ultra-busy time (like the weeks over Christmas and New Year's), there will be a room for you somehwhere in town.

Are you arriving that day from Norway?? If so, I would at least book the first night's hotel, so that you will know where you can crash and get adjusted to our time. Customs at MCO can take some time, plus there is the simple tasks of finding luggage, getting to I-Drive, etc. When I have traveled internationally, I am usually in no condition to be spending time my first night looking for a place to lay my head. With a short trip, you need to adjust your time quickly, although, it is easier traveling west rather than east. I don't think you will have a problem finding a room on I drive at that time of year, I just don't think you will want to after an international flight.

Some friends of ours went on a sudden impulse and managed to get a room inside. I have never done it, but they had no problem.

In your situation, I'd wait...then you can actually see what your getting. Occupancy is low then and you should be able to get a deal. Check out www.roomsaver.com for coupons for walk-ups.

I've done this once. (In June) and had no trouble getting a room. Some motels were willing to dicker on price an others were not (at 10 pm they had rooms available - their loss, I guess.)

Given the fact that you have 2 months left prior to your trip, along with the wealth of deals and information on this site alone, I'd take the time to do some research now, and book something prior to your arrival. If for no other reason, you'll save yourself the time, and frustration of having to potentially run from hotel to hotel......area to area....precious hours which could be spent exploring all the excitement that the area has to offer. Chances are, you'll get a better deal booking online, in advance, too! Enjoy your visit!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter