Arriving at Aulani Feb 4th! Excited! Any tips for me?

CruisingCamper

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

My husband and I, along with our sons, who are 9 and 4 will be arriving at Aulani for week vacation on Feb 4th! We are beyond excited and a little bit nervous. We love to travel and have been to Hawaii twice before to the Big Island and then to Maui. We are from north Louisiana and are DVC members and WDW Annual Pass Holders. We all love all things Disney:) We go to WDW about 3-4 times per year for a week or more at a time, so we are expecting this place to be top-notch.

We are hoping you all could give us some advice on how to pass the time on the long flight, or how to make the most of our stay. We have reserved a One Bedroom Ocean View. I have lots of questions, and I feel sure that you all can give me some answers!

These are just random questions that come to me as I type that I would like to know:)

1. Exploring the island - we plan to go to the North Shore and to Pearl Harbor, but we are staying a day at the end of the trip on Waikiki, so maybe we wait to do that until then....
2. Are dining prices what you find at WDW places?
3. Aunty's House - Can you drop in any time and check your kids in? or do you have to sign up for specific times? Do they have dinner there?
4. Should I request a room preference? Are all the One Bedroom Ocean View's ok?
5. We have a rental car, it's a Full Size SUV for 8 days for about $380...is that too much? What prices have you found?
6. Soft Drinks - prices?
7. Do they offer lemonade or flavored soda that is not juice?
8. Are the pillows good? nice ones?
9. Crowds- Does it feel more crowded than say....Disney's private island when you cruise? Or a cruise ship deck?
10. I really really don't want to go to a grocery store and buy all this food and then not eat it! It seems like every time we get to places, we got buy a bunch, then do not use it. Do you here? Or do they have snacks, chips, salsa, cheese and crackers, pop-tarts, etc....
11. Cell service - How is AT&T? Good or bad?

I am sure that I will have more total random questions later too...

Thanks in advance for helping me to make this a great trip for us!

Congrats on your Aulani Vacay!! You will love it- Aulani has the best lagoons for swimming in
and honestly you never need to even leave- there is so much to do at the hotel if your kids love to swim.
I'll try to help with what I can
1. I don't know if you have been to Oahu before but North Shore is the best part of Oahu
get a snowcone down there and look at the river (you can even kayak or paddleboard the river)
take pics of the bridge and there are lots of galleries and shops to look at (kinda expensive)plenty of little places
to eat when you are down there or you can continue on past north shore going east to one of the shrimp stands
and get a shrimp plate so delish
On the way to/from North Shore stop at the Dole Plantation and get a dole whip and souvenirs
it is touristy and cute but there are beautiful trees and some locally made stuff too
2. Aulani prices are typical for Disney and Hawaii but you can look them up online at the Aulani website
typical lunch plate is like 11 bucks for a salad or sandwich
however you can go to the ABC store in Ko Olina across the street from Aulani and get a few things or eat
at the mexican restaurant or monkeypod for a change of pace
-If you don't want to cook on your trip ( like me :) ) then Aulani has plenty of options for take and go
or eating poolside with the family as for specifics like pop tarts and popcorn I couldn't say for sure but they have chips and fruit
5. The rental car pricing is not so much an issue as the parking at Aulani-it is a staggering 37 or 38 bucks a day
so use that car and make it count haha
6/7. Soft drinks you can get the refillable mug (18bucks ?) and yes they have lemonade and i think root beer, iced tea as
some of the choices if you want a specific soft drink I would go to the ABC store
8. I think the bedding is top notch but I have never stayed in the Villas so I don't know if that bedding would be
any different
9. The only time is seems kinda crowded is if you are by the main pool when they have their big Character Party
which I think is twice a day?? noonish and another one later around 3 or 4
That is all I have for you - my kiddos are waking up- but Aulani is great we are going back this spring too and cannot wait.

Congrats on your Aulani Vacay!! You will love it- Aulani has the best lagoons for swimming in
and honestly you never need to even leave- there is so much to do at the hotel if your kids love to swim.
I'll try to help with what I can
1. I don't know if you have been to Oahu before but North Shore is the best part of Oahu
get a snowcone down there and look at the river (you can even kayak or paddleboard the river)
take pics of the bridge and there are lots of galleries and shops to look at (kinda expensive)plenty of little places
to eat when you are down there or you can continue on past north shore going east to one of the shrimp stands
and get a shrimp plate so delish
On the way to/from North Shore stop at the Dole Plantation and get a dole whip and souvenirs
it is touristy and cute but there are beautiful trees and some locally made stuff too
2. Aulani prices are typical for Disney and Hawaii but you can look them up online at the Aulani website
typical lunch plate is like 11 bucks for a salad or sandwich
however you can go to the ABC store in Ko Olina across the street from Aulani and get a few things or eat
at the mexican restaurant or monkeypod for a change of pace
-If you don't want to cook on your trip ( like me :) ) then Aulani has plenty of options for take and go
or eating poolside with the family as for specifics like pop tarts and popcorn I couldn't say for sure but they have chips and fruit
5. The rental car pricing is not so much an issue as the parking at Aulani-it is a staggering 37 or 38 bucks a day
so use that car and make it count haha
6/7. Soft drinks you can get the refillable mug (18bucks ?) and yes they have lemonade and i think root beer, iced tea as
some of the choices if you want a specific soft drink I would go to the ABC store
8. I think the bedding is top notch but I have never stayed in the Villas so I don't know if that bedding would be
any different
9. The only time is seems kinda crowded is if you are by the main pool when they have their big Character Party
which I think is twice a day?? noonish and another one later around 3 or 4
That is all I have for you - my kiddos are waking up- but Aulani is great we are going back this spring too and cannot wait.

Thank you for taking the time to give me some insight! You gave me some great suggestions! I usually don't wait this late to plan, but we were super busy in Dec and the time just got here before we knew it:)

We went in February as well last year. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. North Shore is definitely more convenient from Aulani. We've gone from Waikiki before, so I really noticed the difference. Pearl Harbor is probably more convenient from Waikiki.

3. You can drop in to Aunty's anytime as long as they're not at capacity (I don't think it will be that crowded in February). There are Premium (for cost) activities you can sign up for in advance. There are also special activities (free) like Stitch's Space Goo or the volcano experiment that you can sign up for. It used to be you needed to line up before Aunty's open, but I think now they have advance sign-up when you do online registration for Aunty's. They have lunch and dinner there (for about $10), which also requires signing up.

4. I think most of the ocean views are good. There is a thread on views here:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/aulani-villas-views-updated-09-26-2015.2907389/
My request was mostly to avoid the views I didn't think were as good. I requested (in order of priority) - higher floor, facing Waikolohe Valley, Ewa tower. Higher floor is the most important so you don't get a unit just above the tree line. Then facing Waikolohe Valley was to avoid getting a unit that faces the parking lot or the construction at the old JW Marriott next door. Then Ewa tower was just insurance since the Waianae tower is next to the JW Marriott and the parking lot.

5. We had a minivan for 7 days, it was $314 (with taxes). It was through Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Costco also has good prices. I always keep checking until we leave. If your reservation is with DVC points, then you don't need to pay for parking.

9. I like your cruise ship analogy. On weekdays, I would say Aulani was more Castaway Cay crowds, but on the Magic. :) On weekends, it felt more cruise ship deck crowded, but not during sail away or Pirate night. The pools at Aulani are huge though, so it's never kid soup like on the cruise.

11. We have AT&T, don't remember having any problems.

We went in February as well last year. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. North Shore is definitely more convenient from Aulani. We've gone from Waikiki before, so I really noticed the difference. Pearl Harbor is probably more convenient from Waikiki.

3. You can drop in to Aunty's anytime as long as they're not at capacity (I don't think it will be that crowded in February). There are Premium (for cost) activities you can sign up for in advance. There are also special activities (free) like Stitch's Space Goo or the volcano experiment that you can sign up for. It used to be you needed to line up before Aunty's open, but I think now they have advance sign-up when you do online registration for Aunty's. They have lunch and dinner there (for about $10), which also requires signing up.

4. I think most of the ocean views are good. There is a thread on views here:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/aulani-villas-views-updated-09-26-2015.2907389/
My request was mostly to avoid the views I didn't think were as good. I requested (in order of priority) - higher floor, facing Waikolohe Valley, Ewa tower. Higher floor is the most important so you don't get a unit just above the tree line. Then facing Waikolohe Valley was to avoid getting a unit that faces the parking lot or the construction at the old JW Marriott next door. Then Ewa tower was just insurance since the Waianae tower is next to the JW Marriott and the parking lot.

5. We had a minivan for 7 days, it was $314 (with taxes). It was through Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Costco also has good prices. I always keep checking until we leave. If your reservation is with DVC points, then you don't need to pay for parking.

9. I like your cruise ship analogy. On weekdays, I would say Aulani was more Castaway Cay crowds, but on the Magic. :) On weekends, it felt more cruise ship deck crowded, but not during sail away or Pirate night. The pools at Aulani are huge though, so it's never kid soup like on the cruise.

11. We have AT&T, don't remember having any problems.

Thanks! I love your input! Do you remember what the temps were? Cool nights?

Thanks! I love your input! Do you remember what the temps were? Cool nights?

The weather was nice. If it was sunny, a little hot. If overcast, the temperature was comfortable, but a little cold getting out of the pool. I was in short sleeves and shorts during the day (or swimsuit). Nights I put on jeans, but still short sleeves. I usually brought a light sweater, but I don't recall using it much.

"kid soup" that is hilarious :D

it is so funny because I never think of Hawaii as being cold because we
are coming from Alaska but I did consider bringing our wind breakers along
incase we get sunburnt during the day-that can make me feel cold at night.
I was thinking for the movie nights Aulani does it might be cozier to have a blanket
or light jackets.

I do plan on packing us each a light jacket. If I don't, Hawaii will have a record low temp while we are there.:rotfl2: That happened to us at WDW a few years ago.

It is tide laundry soap, powder in a box.
Have fun! We will be going a couple weeks from then!

Feb is a good shot for really big waves, check surfline.com and try to pick a day when its big for the north shore trip. The best place to watch big waves, unless they are super big, is Ehukai Beach Park, which is the banzai pipeline. Its not marked as Banzai Pipeline so you need to know what to look for, its across from a school and there will be a lot of cars parked. Its a really nice beach and the waves break real close to shore. Its for looking only, you can not go in the water. If its big they will have some pros and photographers here. Do not leave anything in your car.

Feb is a good shot for really big waves, check surfline.com and try to pick a day when its big for the north shore trip. The best place to watch big waves, unless they are super big, is Ehukai Beach Park, which is the banzai pipeline. Its not marked as Banzai Pipeline so you need to know what to look for, its across from a school and there will be a lot of cars parked. Its a really nice beach and the waves break real close to shore. Its for looking only, you can not go in the water. If its big they will have some pros and photographers here. Do not leave anything in your car.

Thank you! Is theft a major issue in that area? From what I have read, Oahu seems to have lots of theft. Should we be scared of being robbed?

You will not get robbed, but if you leave valuables in your car you will have a broken window and no more valuables. Its only a problem if you make it one. All rental cars have a big sign, do not leave valuables in your car. Its an issue at the north shore surf spots, I do not think there would be any issues in Ko Olina, but just do not try. Other than car breakins Hawaii is the safest state in the country

3. Aunty's House - Can you drop in any time and check your kids in? or do you have to sign up for specific times? Do they have dinner there?

Do the online preregistration on Aulani's website! It makes registration much easier when you get here, plus you can get a complimentary program or two ahead of time. Other than that, Auntys is open from 9:30-9pm for secured drop off, and you don't need sign them up for set times for free play. Dinner is offered ($9 per child), but you need to stand in line as they pass tickets out for dinner at 7:30am for that day.

You will love Aulani!! We just returned yesterday from our 3rd trip to Aulani. My son is little bit older so I can't answer any questions on the kids club since we never had to use the service. We have always stayed in a one-bedrom villa and yes the beds and pillows are very comfy. Since you are a DVC member you don't have to worry about the $35 a day parking. You just use the room key to go in and out of parking. For groceries there's an ABC market across the street or you can try the nearby Costco, Walmart, or Target which we used to stock up on a few items. For the most part we cooked breakfast in our villa and used the quick service/cafe at Aulani for lunch..prices are reasonable. Most of the time we would go out for dinner so we didn't get a chance to eat at the resort. Definitely sight see around the island...North Shore a must as others mentioned. Also check Groupon and Living Social for any discounts on Sunset dinner cruises or other activities. Have fun and feel free to ask any questions!!

You will not get robbed, but if you leave valuables in your car you will have a broken window and no more valuables. Its only a problem if you make it one. All rental cars have a big sign, do not leave valuables in your car. Its an issue at the north shore surf spots, I do not think there would be any issues in Ko Olina, but just do not try. Other than car breakins Hawaii is the safest state in the country

Thanks for the advice! We will make sure not to leave bags in our car each time we get out. We really like to drive and get out and see things, so I will just take my backpack with me each time.

Do the online preregistration on Aulani's website! It makes registration much easier when you get here, plus you can get a complimentary program or two ahead of time. Other than that, Auntys is open from 9:30-9pm for secured drop off, and you don't need sign them up for set times for free play. Dinner is offered ($9 per child), but you need to stand in line as they pass tickets out for dinner at 7:30am for that day.

Thank you. I just registered the kids:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter