Are SSR Sofa Beds really that bad?

ProfT

Earning My Ears
I thought I would ask the experts on this one.:worship:

We are currently deciding between ASMu family suite and SSR studio for my wife, son and myself. We need a kitchenette because of my son's food allergies. Room prices are similar.

At both properties, one person will need to sleep on a pull out. My son, although 14 years old, is bigger than my wife.

I think we will be fine with both properties but would like to try Saratoga this trip.

However, I have read a few reviews regarding the sofa beds at SSR as being worse than other properties.
What has your experience been?

Thank you! Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I stayed at SSR last December. Loved the resort. Our party was myself and my 16 month old son, my sister, and my parents. I paid for the room but gave my parents the bedroom. I slept on the sofa bed with my sister. We both agreed it wasn't comfortable, but we were able to sleep. I would equate it to a bed at the value resorts. It is not comfortable but is tolerable. The sofa beds are not any worse at SSR than the other resorts, IMO.

We've slept on the sofa beds at BWV, CC (new properties at WL) and SSR
There is nothing similar between the beds at BWV and SSR. I'll leave CC out since in all fairness, they are brand spanking new. BWV and SSR are similarly decorated and furnished so one would have guessed, similar beds.
They were nothing alike.
BWV is by no means a stellar mattress on the sofa bed but it was a true mattress, like what you'd purchase for a trundle or loft bed at home (or what we've purchased for ours at least). I believe they are called inner spring mattresses. Made to be both box spring and mattress, so to speak. I've had sofa beds at home and these had similar mattresses as the one we had at BWV. Our guests found them ok to sleep on. You can't feel the support bars underneath.
The one at SSR is nothing more than a foam pad, maybe 6" thick, if that. There is nothing more to it but foam, no springs added or anything. It is not a mattress in my definition at all. It is not even solid. I should have taken a photo of it when we pulled the sheet off. You can see each strip of foam used, there's a break in them. You can clearly feel every bar, screw and nut in the support underneath. We called and they brought an egg crate type of topper which made it tolerable but not comfortable. And in some sort of comical side note, the beds are queen or full (not sure which) but they have the toppers cut down to twin size (explain that one!) so I called to request one and they showed up with 1! I had to call back to get a 2nd. Because all anyone would want to cover is half the bed?!?

Stayed at SSR a few years ago. The pullout in the studio was very uncomfortable.

Stayed recently at BLT and recently renovated BWV. Totally different experience. I could sleep comfortably on those beds.

Thanks all. Does not seem to be a single fan of the SSR sofa beds. We are planning a trip over the holidays and will be paying a premium for our hotel room regardless where we stay. Hate to think we are settling for a "sleep-able" or passable bed for that premium.
Your responses have helped immensely.
All the best!

I didn't like AOA's sofa bed much either, gets thinner and thinner feeling the more nights you sleep on it and the same with the pull out chair bed at OKW. BLT's one was fine though.

Yes. Yes they are bad. Thin padding, metal bars and scratchy fabric make for an unpleasant night on them.
Consider using an inflatable bed.

~Signed, SSR Sofa bed Survivor (barely)

We're in an awkward position. Having brought our holiday forward by one day (to save a HUGE amount on the airfares), OKW can't accommodate us for the first night and the only availability for the same money we paid is SSR. Emma has basically more or less refused point blank to sleep on the SSR sofabed, which leaves us with a problem. I think our only option - short of using one night's points to get a studio (as it's only for one night) - is to do the first night at SSR and keep 9 of our 10 nights at OKW.

When Emms gets back from work I will ask her about this and will ring Disney and try and get this organised.

Oh, and someone on another thread told me this morning that apparently SSR are trialing new types of sofabed. So, by the time we go (next September) they could have new beds in situ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter