Are Bridal showers still something that happens?

disykat

This person totally gets me
Are bridal showers done anymore? I haven't been to one in years, but I figured that was because of my age and not knowing many people getting married. Just talked to some young adults (in their early 20's) who have never heard of such a thing and are acting like it's just me, they'd hate that, why would anyone do that, etc. Am I out of date?

Are bridal showers done anymore? I haven't been to one in years, but I figured that was because of my age and not knowing many people getting married. Just talked to some young adults (in their early 20's) who have never heard of such a thing and are acting like it's just me, they'd hate that, why would anyone do that, etc. Am I out of date?

Ds married last year at 23. Yes, his bride had bridal showers. Still common here in the South.

I went to two over the summer....they are very much still "in" here in the Northeast. Every wedding I have been to in the last 40 years had a bridal shower in the months preceding the wedding.

MJ

Went to one a couple weeks ago, but it was co-ed. It was weird to me, more like just a party with registry gifts.

I have attended several traditional bridal showers in the past few years.

Thank you for your replies. I'm glad I'm not crazy. It really took me aback because I was offering to throw a small family shower since the couple is planning to visit the area for Thanksgiving weekend. I thought it would be especially nice for the great grandmas, who probably won't be travelling for the wedding. The bride was not present when we talked though, so she may not think it's weird. I hope not, because I'm guessing I won't be the only one who has the idea.

Our wedding was quite laid back and wasn't planned particularly far in advance. We didn't have a shower - it would have been so close to the wedding and we knew it would be difficult for people to commit to traveling so didn't want to put anyone in that position. I have also always been uncomfortable opening/receiving gifts and it felt like having a shower in that rush of time would have felt like a gift grab to me. I don't know why I felt that way - I haven't felt that way About anyone else's shower!

I think around here its a bit of a mix - still a lot of traditional showers but some people opt not to have one.

To my knowledge, they were held so couples getting married got gifts to start a household. Seeing as most couple getting married seem to be fairly well established that way, what is the purpose of them now? My son is getting married to a girl he has been living with for 4 years and own a home together. Other then monetary gifts they need nothing. If they do have a shower, is there a polite way to say they need nothing physical and ask for gift cards instead?

Yes, we had one in June for our new daughter in law here in New Jersey. Difference now I found is Bride to be is usually specific on a gift registry for things that they may need. :goodvibes

To my knowledge, they were held so couples getting married got gifts to start a household. Seeing as most couple getting married seem to be fairly well established that way, what is the purpose of them now? My son is getting married to a girl he has been living with for 4 years and own a home together. Other then monetary gifts they need nothing. If they do have a shower, is there a polite way to say they need nothing physical and ask for gift cards instead?
Why not add something on the shower invitation that the bride loves to shop at certain stores or on the registry?

Went to my new daughter in laws bridal shower here in Long Island, New York in june.
Ours was June(mid June) as well! I thought it was fun and a great way for people to mingle and get aquainted before the wedding. CONGRATS to you on your new DIL!:love:

Yes, bridal showers are still common here in Michigan. I went to one in May with almost a hundred people.

Alive and well here, DD had 2 showers - one in Georgia with her friends there, then one back home in Florida with family and friends here, and a 2 bachelorette parties, again one in GA and the other in FL, low key not really wild or anything. She and her DH registered at target, and bed, bath and beyond. Which made it easy for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!