Anyone mortgage free?

My last house was in an area of old homes with an independent school district, and not a very good one. Taxes on a cape cod valued at 110k were about 2200 for city and county. Now I live in a better city. My house is valued at about 160k. I also have a second lot attached, taxed at about 40k. Separately, I have 14 acres of rural property valued at about 200k but taxed as agricultural based on a value of about 50k, and a lot attached there for building valued at 10k. That property is not in a city so only pay county taxes. All that property combined brings tax of around $2500. I am in the greater Cincinnati area.

I will add that $190 of that is for a year of trash pickup.

I'm in Louisville. The $1500 is our Jefferson County taxes and then we do pay about $200 more per year because we are in one of the smaller, class D cities within the city, but that $200 pays for our trash/recycle/yard waste pick up, so it is about break even for if we had to pay it ourselves.

Our financial advisor advised us not to be mortgage free when we downsized for a variety of reasons, the biggest one being that at the time mortgage rates were really low (ours is less than 4%) and our investments were going well (around 8%).

I remortgaged our paid off house and put the money into investments sometime after the housing crisis. Interest rates were low and stocks were on sale. (there is a more complicated version of that story that involves some time owning a second home, but that's the end result). Because I remortgage for only a small portion of our home's worth, my mortgage payments are $300 a month

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter