"Anyone else think this thread took a downhill turn?"

nd5056

DIS Veteran
The title is a quote from another thread, but I felt like the replay deserved its own post since it’s not single topic related.

For me, this or any other Forum, it’s like a live version of Wikipedia, there are great knowledgeable minds hidden behind the user names. There’s always someone closer to the source, have a great knowledge or life experience, willing to share & contribute to the conversation that benefits many. There’s no better place to look for an advice then here. And we’re all grateful for that.

Here, just like in any other Forum out there, people used to express their opinion, regardless if right or wrong. It always was a conversation maker. At the end, all agree to disagree and moved on to newer topic.

Lately, the trend is to come out victorious out of the conversation. It always starts with ridiculing someone and bullying them until they quit posting. Then and only then one feels satisfied.

There are some cases of one being very passionate about something, and perhaps they may not be 100%, it doesn’t matter. It’s different.

To sum it up, expressing believes without repercussions, is like the air that a true Democracy breads. There cannot be one without the other.

Since people’s tolerance toward each other views has changed so much, I can say that the TRUE Democracy we had here is gone. Need to rename it to “Democracy LLC”.

Because Democracy is not only a system, it’s a lifestyle as well.

P.S. I'm no angel myself, I don't always agree with everything, but I'm always trying not to get personal about it. And I have nothing but respect for the individual that reflected with those words used for this thread title.

Lately, the trend is to come out victorious out of the conversation. It always starts with ridiculing someone and bullying them until they quit posting. Then and only then one feels satisfied.

I don't think what you described is a new development but it is certainly something that has been growing in acceptance in all facets of life, it is not just semi anonymous message boards that exhibit this behavior.

When was this forum ever a democracy? And when did we all agree to disagree?
I’ve been here a long time, and it’s the same as it’s always been.

Perhaps I'm just not sensitive enough to the perceived "bullying" that's going on. There are posters that answer one another back-and-forth many times over the course of a long thread with point/counter-point, but so what? :confused3 I'd presume anyone who wasn't enjoying the discourse on some level wouldn't continue to engage in it. An "alert" that you've been quoted doesn't automatically require a reply, especially if you find the comments unpleasant.

Last edited:
people used to express their opinion, regardless if right or wrong.

By definition an opinion can not be right or wrong. It is an opinion, your view point on a topic. Of course an opinion can be based on wrong information.

I am notorious for posting seemingly innocent threads that take a turn to the dark side. Some people thrive on creating drama and being nasty. I do t let it bug me, I find it funny.

To use a very cliche phrase..haters gonna hate.

Do you know what starting new threads really says?

"HEY DIS!!! HEY DIS!!! LOOK AT THIS THREAD!!! I GOT THOROUGHLY OWNED!!!!

I don't think what you described is a new development but it is certainly something that has been growing in acceptance in all facets of life, it is not just semi anonymous message boards that exhibit this behavior.

Exactly. A visit to your local Courthouse will expose you to a lot of people who use more than words to take things downhill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter