Anyone else started Christmas shopping ?

I guess I have officially started and done! I just had to buy LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar for grandson and LEGO Friends Advent Calendar. They arrive for visit on Dec23-Jan 1 for Universal & WDW. This is something small enough to enjoy in resorts and will fit in suitcase. I’ll probably get giftcards also. Wish Disney still had their Disney themed paper money for gift giving. Does anybody remember that?

I always start Christmas shopping the day after Christmas and am done, with everything wrapped by Thanksgiving. I'm not that on top of other things in life, but I love Christmas so much and don't want to deal with any stress whatsoever during the entire season. From Thanksgiving on, I just enjoy!

I've also shopped lots of clearance sales for children's charities and done a dozen shoeboxes for Samaritan's Purse. :-) Plus I buy lots of decorations and lighted trees when they go 90% off after Christmas every year to donate to families in need. Every child deserves a tree and at least one gift.

I guess I have officially started and done! I just had to buy LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar for grandson and LEGO Friends Advent Calendar. They arrive for visit on Dec23-Jan 1 for Universal & WDW. This is something small enough to enjoy in resorts and will fit in suitcase. I’ll probably get giftcards also. Wish Disney still had their Disney themed paper money for gift giving. Does anybody remember that?

Yes, I remember Disney Dollars!

Yup, out of boredom so way early for me. Bought leather luggage for a family member and mama papa and baby bear ..matching slippers for a 1St “family” Xmas.

I'm nearly done :). I usually start jotting down ideas once September comes. I have a spreadsheet to keep it all organized and so I don't forget what I've gotten.

In my family (sister's fam, brother's fam, mom) we do a Secret Santa gift exchange where we each "draw" names of one other adult. We use the site Elfster and it automatically generates who you get.

I'm holding off on my kids big gift, a MacBook, close to Christmas in case there are good deals and also because it being an electronic I want to make sure I'm within the return window. Other than that pretty much everything is purchased or I know what I'm getting.

DH and I are doing stockings and a few other small things for one another. I think we will get a hot tub this fall and call that our Christmas gift to one another.

I also usually have gifts wrapped before December. I find the month (usually) busy, although this year who knows?! I like to just enjoy the season and have the gift buying and wrapping behind me. I usually also have our Christmas card done in early fall as well but we have to wait for our oldest to get home from college at Thanksgiving to get photos taken.

OP here,

I just checked my stash of Christmas wrapping paper, and I don't have any to speak of... I guess I did not buy any last year for this year when they went on sale... Dang it!!! So now I have to get some wrapping paper... I was planning on starting to wrap today... while DH is getting the oil changed in the car.

Has anyone seen any Christmas wrapping paper out yet?

Op here,

I am going out today to run errands and might find my way into a store or two and tomorrow with my friend to do some shopping... I have asked everyone for a list of couple of things that they would like, and sizes, colors...

I want to get a toaster oven for my parents... I want a something that is easy ( simple) for them to use, well made and you can control the temp, like they can put in on 300, 325, 350 ...as well I want a larger size one.. any suggestions... and I'm not looking for the most expensive one... I make meals for them, and warming up casseroles, and meat, and other dishes are better warmed up in the oven.. plus this would open up more things for them to cook... They are not really able to use the oven, the bending over is really not something that either one of them can do... I really could use some suggestions...

I need to hit up Lowes or Home Depot... there are lots of good stocking stuffers for my guys in both these spots...

I'll post later with how things went...

Breville is a little pricey but the BEST for toaster, small oven warmer, etc. Really good quality. Love mine.

Dh just placed a big order last night from Target. He had not yet signed up for a circle account so with that discount this week, our red card, a coupon left over from a registry and this weeks circle offers we got a great discount on some items from the kids lists.

How do kids already have lists? It's September! lol

I still have some of that money!!!

I just yesterday got a notice from a private school my son attended for grades 3 -8 about their annual fund raiser. A company for them each year produces about 5000 boxes of milk chocolate covered almonds ($14 a box) and 5000 of dark covered almonds ($16 a box). And they are soooo good. The best I have ever tasted. They will sell out. They do every year.

So I just ordered seven of the milk chocolate ones and one of the dark covered ones.

-- The three women I play tennis with plus our regular tennis sub will get a milk chocolate box (These are a favorite of theirs that they look forward to every year)
-- My husband (we don't do big gift exchanges) will get a box of the milk covered ones and a box of the dark covered ones. (He will be thrilled)
-- One milk chocolate box will go to our neighbor who has our dog over to play with his dog twice a week (I will give some cash too for doggy treats)
-- The last milk chocolate box will go to my favorite cousin. Don't really want to start a gift exchange with him, but want to let him know I am thinking of and figure this is a small enough thing

Figure this below is practically done too:
-- I will just do cash for people who do services for us. (cleaning service that comes once a month and the gal I go to for cut, color, and highlights -- who now I just go to every eight to 10 weeks or so) -- lol used to go every five weeks, but found great root coverup product during lockdown and now go less often for convenience and to cut down on costs
-- There is someone who I adopt for Christmas every year who I will buy some peanut brittle for, give a $300 Visa gift card to and give $300 cash to -- looks forward to what for him is a Christmas windfall each year -- I used to adopt a different family I didn't even know thru my church annually, but now spend the same and I adopt someone who I know instead who IMHO has less than any of those other families and who is such a sweet person and doesn't feel bad or embarrassed about my doing this (I actually put aside a small amount of money out of each paycheck each year to do this as this is actually the biggest chunk of my Christmas budget.)
-- my brother will get a box of Harry and David pears for his family
-- stopped gifts to nieces and nephews a few years back, as they are all grown up (in 20s and 30s as I wanted to cut back on Christmas spending). When DH was working I would send them cash for a dinner out and a movie- (feel comfortable financially now, but felt a little more flush then as DH pre retirement was covering some things in the family budget that I now cover from my paycheck -- Still feel like I have decent disposable income for sure, but it's less disposable income for me than before) That seemed an obvious cut back.

That leaves just two people to buy for that I a haven't thought about what to get yet (This thread is making me start thinking about this)
-- What to get my dad who will be 84 (both B-day which is around Thanksgiving and Christmas) -- doesn't have to be big, but I'd really like to get him something little for each of these occasions
-- What to get my 25 year old son. (For my son, we do a lot for him though out the year, so again it doesn't need to be anything big, but he is so enthusiastic / fun -- adores Christmas, and I love to get him something little he'd like and be surprised by).

Anyway, this thread now has me planning to put aside the monies I will want to have on hand for the rest of my Christmas spending and has me starting to think in the back of my mind at least about what I might want to get for my dear dad and dear son. I will be reading this thread in detail for ideas.

I just yesterday got a notice from a private school my son attended for grades 3 -8 about their annual fund raiser. A company for them each year produces about 5000 boxes of milk chocolate covered almonds ($14 a box) and 5000 of dark covered almonds ($16 a box). And they are soooo good. The best I have ever tasted. They will sell out. They do every year.

So I just ordered seven of the milk chocolate ones and one of the dark covered ones.

-- The three women I play tennis with plus our regular tennis sub will get a milk chocolate box (These are a favorite of theirs that they look forward to every year)
-- My husband (we don't do big gift exchanges) will get a box of the milk covered ones and a box of the dark covered ones. (He will be thrilled)
-- One milk chocolate box will go to our neighbor who has our dog over to play with his dog twice a week (I will give some cash too for doggy treats)
-- The last milk chocolate box will go to my favorite cousin. Don't really want to start a gift exchange with him, but want to let him know I am thinking of and figure this is a small enough thing

Figure this below is practically done too:
-- I will just do cash for people who do services for us. (cleaning service that comes once a month and the gal I go to for cut, color, and highlights -- who now I just go to every eight to 10 weeks or so) -- lol used to go every five weeks, but found great root coverup product during lockdown and now go less often for convenience and to cut down on costs
-- There is someone who I adopt for Christmas every year who I will buy some peanut brittle for, give a $300 Visa gift card to and give $300 cash to -- looks forward to what for him is a Christmas windfall each year -- I used to adopt a different family I didn't even know thru my church annually, but now spend the same and I adopt someone who I know instead who IMHO has less than any of those other families and who is such a sweet person and doesn't feel bad or embarrassed about my doing this (I actually put aside a small amount of money out of each paycheck each year to do this as this is actually the biggest chunk of my Christmas budget.)
-- my brother will get a box of Harry and David pears for his family
-- stopped gifts to nieces and nephews a few years back, as they are all grown up (in 20s and 30s as I wanted to cut back on Christmas spending). When DH was working I would send them cash for a dinner out and a movie- (feel comfortable financially now, but felt a little more flush then as DH pre retirement was covering some things in the family budget that I now cover from my paycheck -- Still feel like I have decent disposable income for sure, but it's less disposable income for me than before) That seemed an obvious cut back.

That leaves just two people to buy for that I a haven't thought about what to get yet (This thread is making me start thinking about this)
-- What to get my dad who will be 84 (both B-day which is around Thanksgiving and Christmas) -- doesn't have to be big, but I'd really like to get him something little for each of these occasions
-- What to get my 25 year old son. (For my son, we do a lot for him though out the year, so again it doesn't need to be anything big, but he is so enthusiastic / fun -- adores Christmas, and I love to get him something little he'd like and be surprised by).

Anyway, this thread now has me planning to put aside the monies I will want to have on hand for the rest of my Christmas spending and has me starting to think in the back of my mind at least about what I might want to get for my dear dad and dear son. I will be reading this thread in detail for ideas.

OP here

DD went to private school and they always had fund raiser like the one your describing... Wow I miss those options... Flavored pop-corn in a different containers,(not all Christmas themed which I really liked), Christmas wrapping paper, candles/potpourri... I would by several different types of the pop-corn and give as gift to co-workers, they all enjoyed the pop-corn, the container's however were the real star, they were really cute and well made... the last year DD was going to school there they offered 3 smaller containers (tins), on a tray - each container with a different flavor of pop-corn... 14.00 each... I ordered 10. Then I got a couple of the double tins (4), they were 12.00... I divided them up and used them as hostess gifts to go in the baskets or bags that I would make up for the host or hostess, Basket raffle at the church, and the rest I would tuck into gifts for my brothers family or friends.. when we were doing all that gift exchanging...

For my Dad who is 81, I get him a new journal every year, and he writes in it daily... this year he mentioned a book light, so that is on the list. He is in need of some new clothes as he has lost quite a bit of weight due to health related problems, so some new hangout in the house clothing... In past years, a good flashlight, we got one that has several different options one of them being a strobe, which in a emergency is something that they could use to alert or show first responders were they were at, in a crisis. Fireproof safe for important documents. Rolling picture frame, which reminds me I need to make a new zip drive with some new picture for this year...

Got a few things yesterday at Aldi!

For my youngest niece I got a bunch of playdoh, a little outfit, and a Lady and the Tramp book. Then for my 2 oldest nieces I got each a pair of soft fuzzy slipper socks.

I also went on Amazon and looked at a bunch of stuff based off of the list my cousin gave me for her kids. Saved a ton of items that I will finalize within the next month and get ordered.

Still waiting on a list from my other cousin for her kids.

We shop year round on clearance and sales and i have a tub that it goes it - we buy for everyone including extended family and it royghly rounds out to about 200-300 per person i think? Closer fsmily it is about 500 per person.

I really like to give surprises, not requests (although I am fine with those) but I also don't like to throw money away. I work way too hard for it to do that and I want the gifts that I give to be something people actually want. Now that the kids are older 24 and 26, I find they need things that are more practical and can help with life. We're all big cooks and I want them to have good quality tools to last. I'll probably get them each a couple of good knives this year and one of them needs good cookware. I get them each a hardcover book for their personal collection each Christmas. Not sure what else! The silly stuff for stockings etc all seems like throw away stuff but I usually succumb and just have fun with it anyway.

How do kids already have lists? It's September! lol
My kids know I want a list in September. They may add to it as the season goes on but they cant take anything off. We have a big family and all 3 kids birthdays also fall within 6 weeks after Christmas so we are generally shopping for both occasions.

Last edited:
My kids know I need a pr

My kids know I want a list in September. They may add to it as the season goes on but they cant take anything off. We have a big family and all 3 kids birthdays also fall within 6 weeks after Christmas so we are generally shopping for both occasions.
Good for you for getting it all done! :)

Absolutely! I start in the summer. There are some things they kids always get... socks, the mechanical pencil package at costco, pj's and stocking stuffers. I pick them up as I go so it's less painful. We always get our niece/nephew clothes so I got those at costco for a good price, they are done.

We have a bunch of birthdays right before christmas too, so that is painful.

OP here,
I got my list yesterday from DD when they came over for my birthday cookout - Yay... my grandson only wants everything under the sun... LOL.. he's 5 so that is to be expected... LOL..

I need slim pants for him.. 6 slims... he is pretty tall for being 5, as well has long legs and arms...most people think he is like 7 years old... we measured him yesterday, 4 feet on the dot... suggestions on where to get some slim pants and jeans for him.. ? I bought a pair of adjustable pants for him, and when you adjust them to fit him they look funny in the waist, and he doesn't like them, he said they feel funny Mimi...and at 5 he is a clothes horse already... so they are going back to the store this week... he likes athletic pants, lightweight, like warm up pants... which I am always looking for... I might have to get them to fit in the length, then take them in the waist... which I prefer not to have to do..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter