Anyone else get blue field entoptic phenomenon after Covid?

LuvOrlando

DIS Legend
It was really terrible after I was sick last summer and has backed off some but is not gone so I wonder how common it is?
Looks like this now but they are way smaller, for a long time there was about 10 times more.
Screenshot 2024-07-29 at 3.49.40 PM.png

When I was actively sick around day 10 on my second round of medicine my eyes were bananas, I had a streaming grid that looked like the Matrix but a grid so both vertical and horizontal, it was v e r y trippy.

I had something like this recently but it wasn’t from Covid, it was from a new medication I’d started. Once I realized what was causing it I stopped the med, and it took about a week or so for it to go away. Completely gone now, thankfully - it was so worrisome! Is there any medication you’re on that could be causing this, but it just coincided with Covid, by any chance? Have you seen an opthalmologist yet, ie was this an official diagnosis or did you figure it out on your own?

I had something like this recently but it wasn’t from Covid, it was from a new medication I’d started. Once I realized what was causing it I stopped the med, and it took about a week or so for it to go away. Completely gone now, thankfully - it was so worrisome! Is there any medication you’re on that could be causing this, but it just coincided with Covid, by any chance? Have you seen an opthalmologist yet, ie was this an official diagnosis or did you figure it out on your own?
Yikes, I didn't know medications could do that but I'm glad for you it went away. I'm not taking anything, I am spooked off medications after some sketchy side effects from Biologics a few years back.

I was complaining about the white spots right away but I guess I was lucky to be alive so it all got chalked off, I actually had the Paxlovid twice with the 30 day infection. A few months after infection cleared I got a stye that wouldn't go away and after that a red spot in the white of the eye that was defined inflammatory. I went to Eye and Ear ER for the red spot and talked about the white spots while there and they did thorough testing and seemed to think my eyes were safe, I still have a slight redness there plus the lingering white seagulls. The Eye Dr at Eye and Ear has been the only person who I felt really listened when I told him I think the infection actually started in my eyes, they were the teeniest bit red for days before I got sick and I was getting a tiny amount of bright white gel discharge which was very strange, it looked like shiny whiteout. I have decided to feel it is good if I have lingering WBC in my eyes to protect me going forward, I assume they are sentinels for my body just waiting to react. The red spot was diagnosed Episcleritis. In my experience, being a messy patient, is the Drs will single out one thing in the mud to tag and the rest of the mess just sort of trails along as associated to that one thing.

I was just wondering if other people have this lingering weird thing. It can be tough to notice, the spots are brightest with sunglasses off when I look up at the blue sky but with shades on or looking out in the world at other colors like at trees or the road when I drive they aren't noticeable.

Interesting. Sorry you’ve been experiencing all these problems. Eye issues can be tough as we’re so dependent on our eyes to see properly.

First, the red spots in the sclera - it’s not uncommon to see these when there’s a lot of coughing. I’m glad you went and had it checked out at MEE and feel good about that.

Second, the stye. I posted a thread here probably about a year ago on how to deal with them. They are apparently more common now due to face masks. I would highly recommend getting the Bruder eye mask and using it daily. I wonder if the discharge you have now can be related to this - basically the stye is a blocked duct of material that moistens your eyes. Maybe yours are working OT. The mask could help that as you do the massage when heated it helps the ducts unclog.

I think you should follow up with an opthalmologist. I can recommend a good one for you at MEE.

Third, in some people the first sign of Covid can be conjunctivitis. There can be other eye problems related to Covid. There are some clinics around related to long term Covid, I can make that recommendation to you, too, if you want to go that route. I would probably try the ophthalmologist first and see how that goes.

https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/covid-damages-retina-eye-stroke-pinkeye

https://www.cognitivefxusa.com/blog/blurry-vision-and-other-vision-problems-after-covid

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/vision-problems-after-covid

I wish you the best of luck!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest