Anyone done cheap DIY custom shirts?

petunia

DIS Veteran
With the trip expenses so high this year our large group wanted to get shirts done, but finding them pretty pricey for a one time use shirt..has anyone just got a t shirt from dollarama and done the spray paint method? Is it that easy? Any tips are appreciated!

I've previously used printable iron on transfers to create custom shirts at home for a trip. You can print whatever you want onto the transfer paper and then cut it out if you want and iron it on! It was fairly cheap compared to ordering custom shirts and it was something fun that our group got to do together before we left. I used the Avery brand transfer paper and ordered it from Amazon, but there's lots of different kinds you can order!

Just an idea
If I was doing them this year I'd go with Red & Green Tye Dye T shirts .
To save money have everyone give you one of their T shirt's they already have.
1658341761560.png
Add some Santa Mickey Hats and you are all decked out for the season.

Have fun planning
Hugs
Mel

Just wondering what blue & white Tye dye t shirts might look like (snow seasonal).
1658341645637.png

Last edited:
I've done iron transfer (Avery) for one of my daughter's birthday party and it looked great. Thinking of making some for our new year trip. Will buy the t-shirts at Michaels as they have multiple colours. My daughter would probably love a tie-dye one but I personally like them. Could be a fun project for her this summer since she's really into the planning of the trip.

Years ago I read a thread on DIS about spraying bleach on a t-shirt. I made these shirts from that idea. I did a better job with the wolf as it was my second one. I had paw prints running up the back of his shirt but I didn't get a good photo of it. On the last photo you can see a bit of the paw prints.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1738.JPG
    IMG_1738.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 18

I haven't tried the spray paint method myself, but I've heard mixed reviews. It can be a bit tricky to get the design just right, and the paint might not hold up well after washing. If cost is a concern, you might want to look into bulk printing services – they can often offer better deals, especially for larger groups.

Last edited:
I did shirts last year with the iron on transfer paper and they looked DIY. At the time I thought they looked ok but now looking at the pics we took....no, they look bad. This past Christmas I made a shirt as a joke gift for DD's boyfriend. That time I bought an image from someone on Etsy...the cost varies based on what you are getting. The one I got was $15 for a digital image and it was made for use on a dark shirt. This turned out very well and does not look DIY. In future I would do this again. The shirt I got on sale from Michael's for $4.99, the dark shirt transfer paper from Amazon (10 sheets for $20). The dark shirt transfer paper is different than the one for light shirts. The light is a reverse image and you can still see the paper after done but it might not show on a white shirt. As long as your image does not have light edges the dark looks like you bought the shirt rather than made it.

There are lots of people who make them on Marketplace, or if your into buying Cricut machine if you have alot of shirts to do might end up being cheaper as its your time. Micheals has Glidden branded Tshirts from 3.99 when on sale. Buy your transfer paper and start making your own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter