Any Way to Monitor Park Hours Change Without Checking Disney Site Daily?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
So I'm sitting on the bench near the Atlantic Dance about 6 am having my daily coffee and cigar when I checked the MDE app to review our day's plan, I was in charge of making FP+ selections for our party of 11. I was surprised to see that Disney added an hour in the morning, opening MK to all at 8 am. This screwed up my plans as 7 of our party stayed off site with 5 grand kids from 5 to 15 and there was no way to herd that crew to rope drop, I avoided EMH parks and planned on starting times of 9 am. I don't know when the hour was added, could have been before or after our 60 day window and in the future I'd like to know quickly if this happens again, I might be able to modify my FP+ choices with enough lead time. Do I have to check park hours daily to do this?

Bill From PA

Last edited:
I wouldn't even trust their site. Last Thursday, they shut down Pandora at 6pm with no warning. Our 5:30 safari FPs got cancelled the day before, and we didn't find out about Pandora until we got there.

Last Thursday, they shut down Pandora at 6pm with no warning.

They shut the safari down early the same day. Had security to keep people from going to Africa. You could be in Dinoland, Asia, Discovery Island only. For an hour before park closed.

Day-of changes are fairly rare. I think they extended the Thanksgiving week hours a few weeks ago. In general, I check maybe once a week? It’s annoying about FP’s - I agree. I started mine slightly early because I figured my dates (week before Christmas) would move to 8am, at least at MK. You can also see previous years hours for your week at wdwinfo.com

I never book FB+s in the early morning as find it to be a waste. Morning crowds are generally pretty light meaning standby lines relatively short. Our fastpasses always shoot for an 11:00-3:00 window. Park hours changing make little or no difference for us.

Should be relatively easy to write a tool that would check for changes once a day for a given set of dates and send an email. Surprised touring plans doesn’t offer it. If I’m bored this week maybe I’ll whip something up. It would be something I’d use myself so there’s some incentive.

They shut the safari down early the same day. Had security to keep people from going to Africa. You could be in Dinoland, Asia, Discovery Island only. For an hour before park closed.
Yep, didn't get to see much of Pandora in the dark that night.

Should be relatively easy to write a tool that would check for changes once a day for a given set of dates and send an email. Surprised touring plans doesn’t offer it. If I’m bored this week maybe I’ll whip something up. It would be something I’d use myself so there’s some incentive.

If you 'watch' days in touring plans as a subscriber they will email you regarding changes.

Last Thursday, they shut down Pandora at 6pm with no warning.
we didn't find out about Pandora until we got there.
The one hour early close had been on the calendars for months. It was the IAAPA park buyout.

I follow Kenny The Pirate for his blog updates (they come in my email)
Anytime Disney issues new park hours he sends out an email with the changes, and puts them on his park calendar.
That's the best way I know of.
Touring Plans doesn't send me emails, even though I have trips planned and follow the dates in my crowd tracker. I get them if the crowd levels change but not hours change.

Where? The calendars showed a 7pm close. Pandora (and Africa apparently) closed at 6pm.
That's correct, 7pm instead of 8pm. Pandora, and some other attractions, closed before 7 because it was the main element of the special event and had to be prepared.

That's correct, 7pm instead of 8pm. Pandora, and some other attractions, closed before 7 because it was the main element of the special event and had to be prepared.
Where was it posted (except for signs within the park the day of) that Pandora would close at 6pm?

Where was it posted (except for signs within the park the day of) that Pandora would close at 6pm?
I had no reason to check it, but I assume it was posted on MDE at the same time it appeared on the internal calendar. Park buyouts are major events and the park schedule for the affected park is posted ahead of time. I understand that it may have appeared to be a last minute change, but the event being what it is, was scheduled a long time ago.

http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/IAAPA...Sessions.aspx&SessionID=1081&SessionDateID=97

I had no reason to check it, but I assume it was posted on MDE at the same time it appeared on the internal calendar. Park buyouts are major events and the park schedule for the affected park is posted ahead of time. I understand that it may have appeared to be a last minute change, but the event being what it is, was scheduled a long time ago.

http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/IAAPA...Sessions.aspx&SessionID=1081&SessionDateID=97
No, it was not posted on the MDE. And up until the day before, I had safari FP's at 5:35, so it WAS a last minute change...

From the email I received the day before...
"There has been an unexpected change in the operating schedule of an attraction or show during your upcoming Walt Disney World® visit. Your FastPass+ selection for Kilimanjaro Safaris from 5:35 PM to 6:35 PM on 11/16/2017 is no longer available."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter