Any USA entry updates?

on the bright side, the pfizer vaccine does seem to be effective against the UK strain.
We had a massive surge the past two weeks, but now that we have a good chunk of the population vaccinated, it does seem to be slowing down, though just a smidgeon at this point.
but even just leveling off is a good sign at this point.
here's hoping it continues in the correct direction!!
Yes, UK numbers too are going the right way now, though it's more to do with the 'lockdown' than vaccines.

I'm just hoping that we don't see vaccine resistant strains appearing before we (ie. the world) has got this thing more or less cornered.

They don't really do much checking to determine strains, so there's no way to know.
I wonder if that's on Biden's (Fauci's) federal to-do list.

We postponed our trip from July last year to July this year, but starting to think that trip must be in jeopardy now. I can't see the quarantine restrictions for coming into the UK easing by July, which will kybosh our trip. So will probably be looking to postpone until July next year. Anybody know what date 2022 bookings will be open (I have hotel and flights booked separately, not as a package).

Sorry to be the doom and gloom merchant, but this is pretty much what I've been hoping against:
Robert Peston: Why the risk of Covid-19 mutations means we face at least six gruelling months

first of all, it's a well known (though somewhat counter intuitive) phenomenon that antibodies resulting from infection provide less protection than antibodies resulting from immunization.
We have seen this in the past with other diseases.
So the fact that an area that was thought to have achieved herd immunity was struck down by another wave caused by a new strain doesn't necessarily augur bad tidings.
If the same happens once an area is fully vaccinated, then i'll start to worry (big time).

And by the way, to consider an area as having reached herd immunity when only 76% are positive for antibodies seems a bit of a stretch.
For example, herd immunity against measles requires about 95% of a population to be vaccinated.
Why would anyone think that Covid-19 requires anything less?

Has anyone had any luck moving/cancelling the 14 day tickets they had purchased for this year? We purchased ours from Disney.

Already spoke to David's about our DVC points.

Just spoken to VA and they replied pretty much instantly about giving me an open ticket for our flights (24th April-8th May Manchester) an said they would waiver the fees even though we had changed more times than I can count! Wonder if that means they are pretty much about to pull the trigger on cancelling.

Last edited:
And by the way, to consider an area as having reached herd immunity when only 76% are positive for antibodies seems a bit of a stretch.
For example, herd immunity against measles requires about 95% of a population to be vaccinated.
Why would anyone think that Covid-19 requires anything less?
Way back last year there was talk of 60% (of what I'm not sure now) being herd immunity. But of course herd immunity doesn't mean no-one catches it - only that it's not going to spring an epidemic on us, or that a current epidemic will die away.
Measles is far more infectious than Covid19 (or anything really), so you will need a higher % of resistance to it to give 'herd immunity', however it's defined.
(Covid19 and smallpox both have R0 between 3 and 6, measles is 12 to 18.)

Way back last year there was talk of 60% (of what I'm not sure now) being herd immunity. But of course herd immunity doesn't mean no-one catches it - only that it's not going to spring an epidemic on us, or that a current epidemic will die away.
Measles is far more infectious than Covid19 (or anything really), so you will need a higher % of resistance to it to give 'herd immunity', however it's defined.
(Covid19 and smallpox both have R0 between 3 and 6, measles is 12 to 18.)
that was true of the prior strain of covid, but the UK strain is highly contagious.
Masking which worked against the earlier strain is insufficient against the UK version (double masking has been strongly advised, and not even sure that will suffice).

The problem we have is the slow pace of vaccinations.
Someone mentioned a vaccine resistant strain. The odds of that happening are increased by slow or incomplete vaccine rollout.

that was true of the prior strain of covid, but the UK strain is highly contagious.
They are saying the R for the UK strain is about 0.7 higher. It's a problem for sure, but nothing like measles. From what I've read 70-80% is probably about the zone for HI now.
As you say, the problem is getting there before anything worse mutates out into the world, which is why we will have to keep physical restrictions/precautions until we get those percentages vaccinated.
In that respect I'm pleased to see Biden/Fauci getting the US involved in the whole world vaccination programme. Easy international travel won't be possible until pretty much everywhere with an airport has control of the virus.

They are saying the R for the UK strain is about 0.7 higher. It's a problem for sure, but nothing like measles. From what I've read 70-80% is probably about the zone for HI now.
As you say, the problem is getting there before anything worse mutates out into the world, which is why we will have to keep physical restrictions/precautions until we get those percentages vaccinated.
In that respect I'm pleased to see Biden/Fauci getting the US involved in the whole world vaccination programme. Easy international travel won't be possible until pretty much everywhere with an airport has control of the virus.
i'm not a fan of fauci - his disinformation at the beginning of the crisis didn't serve anyone.

Has anyone had any luck moving/cancelling the 14 day tickets they had purchased for this year? We purchased ours from Disney.

Already spoke to David's about our DVC points.

Just spoken to VA and they replied pretty much instantly about giving me an open ticket for our flights (24th April-8th May Manchester) an said they would waiver the fees even though we had changed more times than I can count! Wonder if that means they are pretty much about to pull the trigger on cancelling.
Yes, we had a cash refund for our 14 day tickets purchased from Disney UK No quibble, back on the credit card in two days!

We also used David's to rent out the points.

We are supposed to be on a Carribean cruise right now, arriving at the BWV on February 1st. All those payments have been rolled into a September cruise instead.

No plans to get back to WDW at the moment.

ford family

Oh good to hear about Disney sorting the tickets straight away.

Points are now up with David for rental. Fingers crossed for your September cruise.

Yes, we had a cash refund for our 14 day tickets purchased from Disney UK No quibble, back on the credit card in two days!

We also used David's to rent out the points.

We are supposed to be on a Carribean cruise right now, arriving at the BWV on February 1st. All those payments have been rolled into a September cruise instead.

No plans to get back to WDW at the moment.

ford family

Oh good to hear about Disney sorting the tickets straight away.

Points are now up with David for rental. Fingers crossed for your September cruise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ne...f1bXyg88kZRfjWGnT9HXRrtatTjU7ZztTDAhexAPv3G7Y
and in case you hit a wall street journal paywall, here's the text from the article:

A Guide to the New Covid-19 Testing Rules for Travel to the U.S.
The CDC will require preflight testing as Covid-19 cases continue to soar and new strains of the virus emerge

im-284688

The CDC is set to require a negative Covid-19 test result for travelers entering the U.S. as new-infection rates remain high; Miami International Airport in March.
PHOTO: WILFREDO LEE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
By
Alison Sider
Updated Jan. 22, 2021 2:59 pm ET

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has ordered that all travelers flying to the U.S. from abroad will have to show proof of negative Covid-19 tests before boarding their flight starting Jan. 26. The CDC said preflight testing is necessary as Covid-19 cases continue to soar and more-contagious strains of the virus emerge around the world. President Biden signed an executive order on Jan. 21 affirming the new testing requirements and directing agencies to consider additional travel-safety measures.
Here is what you need to know about the new protocols before you take a trip.

Who does it affect?
The order applies to everyone traveling to the U.S. on international flights, including U.S. citizens. You will need to show negative test results even if you are flying on a private jet or charter flight. There are exceptions for children under age 2, airline crews and federal law-enforcement agents and members of the military traveling for duty.

What countries are covered?
All of them. Passengers need to show proof of a negative test when traveling to the U.S. from any country, including Mexico and the Caribbean. Airlines can seek temporary waivers for certain countries where testing supplies are inadequate, but carriers haven’t yet said which countries might fall into this category. The requirement doesn’t apply to U.S. territories, such as Puerto Rico.

The universal testing requirement goes into effect Jan. 26. People arriving from the United Kingdom already have been subject to similar testing requirements that went into effect in December, following the emergence of a new coronavirus strain there.

Airline executives have said they expect some short-term hiccups as the new policy goes into effect but say they believe testing will help restore confidence in travel in the long run. United Airlines Holdings Inc., for example, has said it is working with partners to increase the supply of tests in places like Mexico, where the new requirements have put a damper on appetite for trips to beach resorts.

“We are going to work really really hard to make sure it’s really, really easy to travel with United even with the new testing requirements,” Toby Enqvist, United’s chief customer officer, said.

What kind of test will I need, and when? What happens if I don’t have my results?
U.S.-bound air travelers must get tested no more than three days before flying and bring written or electronic proof of the results. Airlines can accept both PCR and rapid antigen tests. The CDC has said home diagnostic kits that are analyzed in a lab should qualify, if the kits have been approved by national health authorities.

If you don’t have the documentation with you, airlines won’t allow you to board, according to the CDC’s order.

Airlines are still working out the exact protocols they will use to check test results. Customers coming from the U.K. on United Airlines show test results in the lobby before security, but the details might not be the same for other countries, a United spokeswoman said.

To streamline the verification process, American Airlines Group Inc. is expanding access to a health passport app where travelers can upload documents such as negative Covid-19 test results. Starting Jan. 23, the VeriFly app will be available for American Airlines customers traveling from all international destinations.

What if I have been vaccinated?
Even if you have been vaccinated for Covid-19, you still will need to show proof of a negative test.

What if I recently had Covid-19 and got better?

If you have tested positive for Covid-19 in the past three months but no longer have symptoms, the CDC doesn’t recommend getting tested again. If you are in this group and have met the criteria to end isolation, the CDC says you can travel as long as you have written permission from a health-care provider or public-health official. Bring your positive test result and the doctor’s letter to show the airline in lieu of a negative test result.

Does this mean the U.S. has lifted bans on most travel from Europe, the U.K. and other countries?
No. Mr. Biden rejected a last-minute effort by former President Donald Trump to lift those travel restrictions on Jan. 26, citing the worsening pandemic and more-contagious variants of the virus emerging around the world. That means people who aren’t U.S. citizens or permanent residents generally can’t come to the U.S. from most of Europe, the U.K., Brazil, China and Iran, with a few exceptions. Likewise, many countries don’t allow travelers to enter from the U.S., or continue to impose lengthy quarantine requirements on arrival.

What if I need to change my travel plans now?
Airlines already have done away with most international change fees and are adding more flexibility for people who need to adjust their plans and get to the U.S. before the new testing requirements go into effect.

American and Delta Air Lines Inc., DAL -1.65% for instance, will allow people to rebook international tickets to the U.S. that had been scheduled through Feb. 9, as long as new travel starts on or before Jan. 25. That means you can rebook to fly before testing is required without paying higher last-minute fares. United is waiving fare differences for travel originally scheduled through Feb. 15.

Do I need to get tested again or quarantine when I get back to the U.S.?
The CDC recommends people get a second test three to five days after travel and stay home for seven days (or 10 days without a second test). Testing on its own isn’t a substitute for social distancing and wearing face masks, CDC officials said.

President Biden has said he believes people arriving from abroad should be required to self-quarantine; his executive order says air travelers will be required to follow the CDC’s guidelines, including self-isolation recommendations, “to the extent feasible.” It isn’t yet clear how that might be enforced, and the order doesn’t specify. The order also directs federal agencies to develop a plan for ensuring compliance with CDC guidelines and to consider other public-health measures, including consideration of additional testing immediately prior to departure.

Well it looks like our Easter trip is going to have to be canned for second year (originally scheduled Easter 2020)
Me too! This is our third cancellation. Luckily BA cancelled the return flight for April 2021 and as I did not accept the alternative offered I can get a refund. I have provisionally booked WDW resort rooms for October 2021, but now I feel that I don’t want to do all the planning (and look forward to) for another trip, just to find myself in this situation again. I am tempted to ‘put Disney down’ for a while and consider booking when flights become available for Easter 2022.

i told my daughter that they may need to re-think their summer - they have 2 weeks booked at WDW for august 2021.
I was sure it would be ok when i reserved it for them, but now i'm beginning to wonder. Actually more than beginning.

Me too! This is our third cancellation. Luckily BA cancelled the return flight for April 2021 and as I did not accept the alternative offered I can get a refund. I have provisionally booked WDW resort rooms for October 2021, but now I feel that I don’t want to do all the planning (and look forward to) for another trip, just to find myself in this situation again. I am tempted to ‘put Disney down’ for a while and consider booking when flights become available for Easter 2022.

We feel the same after just cancelling for the end of April. I am looking at Disney now for next year, an once the flights come out will use our open ticket to book them. I have booked a hotel for Madrid for Summer in case we can fly there, that is fully refundable until the day of travel and I don't have to pay until we get to the hotel. I'm not booking any flights. I just couldn't cope with being let down for Disney again.

Should travel to the US open up again later this year then I can always look at booking a last minute trip.

Yeah. Our biggest risk is the 14 day park tickets we purchased in late 2019 for the 2020 trip. I think they expire now in Sep 21 , but who knows when they will allow US travel again.

Cant see UK lockdown being lifted much before Easter (fully expecting schools not to go back until after Easter), so it will be question of can you get a flight / room later

We are DVC members, so have got that juggle to do as well.

Absolutely gutting, but at the same time, it needs to be safe, and with an eldest child with Aspergers, youngest possibly with autistic traits as well, even a 9 hr flight with masks (even though they are exempt could be a bridge too far anyway)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter