Any discounts at the gate for 'locals'?

bjakmom

DIS Veteran
I am so thrilled that my Dr. has cleared me to make this trip :banana:, but I didn't buy my tickets yet since everything was so up in the air!
Here's what I need to figure out: Oldest DNeph (lives in Santa Barbara - zip code within the 'local' zone) will be joining youngest DNeph and I for our first 3 days at DL/CA - if I buy him a 3 day hopper at the gate, will there be any discount because he is a local? Little DNeph and I will be using City Passes and upgrading to DVC AP for me and a 5 day hopper for him. Thanks for any suggestions! :smooth:

I dont think there is anything at the gate. Typically they will charge as much as possible at the gate. However, some of the grocery stores in the area might have a S. CA rate. You might want to check in to that.

They might have something on a 1-day hopper (usually you have to ask), but not on a 3-day (they don't have resident discounts on 3-day hoppers because residents don't typically buy these). A 3-day hopper will be cheaper than 3 1-day hoppers as the typically only take $5 off the price of the 1-day for residents. Also, the resident has to buy and pay for them and have ID to prove they're locals (like a driver's liscense). So, if you were to be using your credit card to pay for his ticket, it wouldn't work. I do think there is one local supermarket that has $74 1-day hoppers (I think it's Ralphs). But you're still better off paying full price on a 3-day hopper.

You can have your Oldest Nephew check to see if Costco has discounted Disneyland tickets right now. (They don't always have them) I'm not sure they were park hoppers, though. It might have been 2 days at DL and 2 days at DCA. (but I have always been able to combine so I could use it as a two day park hopper - just not sure if the rules have changed) Anyway, sometimes Costco has discounted Park tickets.

As far as I know there aren't any "resident" discounts on any ticket media except one-day parkhoppers and Annual passes.

But, if you buy his three-day parkhopper on-line you can save $20.00 over what it would cost you at the gate ($149 instead of $169). Not sure how soon your trip is coming up, but shipping is free if you buy on-line...and if the time period is too short for it to be shipped to you, you can pick it up at Will-Call.

Laura

Check Costco and Vons- our Vons have SouthernCA passes, and you wouldn't have to prove residency at the gate because you'd already have your ticket

Wow! Thanks for the advice - will someone tell me if my final thinking is going to work? Don't want to put him in the position of 'arguing' about who's treating (that would be me ;) ) as he's now in his early 30s (ex Annapolis grad/Marine - a bit proud! and will refuse to be reimbursed by me if he has to put the tickets on his card). It looks to me like I can buy him a S. Calif Select AP for only $119. at the gate (I will bring cash so there's no 'pressure' about who's paying) and a $30 blackout ticket for the Sat that is our first day. Then I understand we can take the Select AP and the blackout ticket to the bank on Main St (anyone know where that is exactly?) and upgrade the two for a S. Calif AP at no extra cost (they are normally $149.-) and Sun/Mon are not blackout dates for those APs. So, if I have my facts straight, I could leave him behind with a S. Calif AP for $20 less than a 3 day hopper at the gate ($169.-). OK, my head is spinning - do you think I have this right ? TIA !!! :smooth:
I really don't want to buy his ticket ahead of time, he has a high level job and if anything happens that would require him to be there, he would not be able to join us, of course.

Blackout dates do not apply on the day you buy/activate your AP. I bought a SoCal Select AP and activated it on July 4th with no problems.

yes, eatntae is correct. If you buy and use your SoCalif AP on Saturday, you do not need to buy a black out ticket for that day. However you are right that it is best to be prepared.

The folks at the ticket booth will tell you for sure - but remember to ask them if you should do all your park hopping before you get your AP card with picture on it.

Long time no see since Animal Kingdom in June! Buy your hopper tickets ahead of time. As others have said it will be cheaper than at the gates. Have a great trip! I hope you saw my DLR Guide I posted here. If not I will send you a link.

Cool . . . so I can just buy him a S Calif AP on a B/O Sat instead of the Select + B/O and then upgrade!!!
Califgirl - I'm confused as to why we should ask about doing our park hopping before getting the AP with pic on it? - I'm assuming that the S Calif AP allows for park hopping, no?
Hydroguy - Hi to Colorado (which I miss as much as WDW when I'm not there)!! :wave2: I am beyond excited to be making this trip - finally !! I think I have read/noted everything, but if you would send me the links I will print them all out just to be sure and keep from having to find something last minute as I go into 'packing panic' mode - thanks for the offer !! :smooth:
Thanks again, everyone . . . look at my countdown timer!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

If the line is short at the Bank, go in and get his AP with picture. There won't be any problems parkhopping as the CMs will look at the date and know that he just purchased it that day.
We always carry the receipt with us when we upgrade only because the AP initiation date remains the same.

Itinkso is correct that the AP initiation date remains the same and you should be able to park hop. However because you have your hard AP and the CM's will know that it should be a black out day for you, they might question you at the gate and tell you to buy a block out ticket. If as Itnkso suggests, you carry your reciept you should be ok. However I believe there is no question when you still have your paper ticket, instead of the hard AP.

Califgirl said:
Itinkso is correct that the AP initiation date remains the same and you should be able to park hop. However because you have your hard AP and the CM's will know that it should be a black out day for you, they might question you at the gate and tell you to buy a block out ticket. If as Itnkso suggests, you carry your reciept you should be ok. However I believe there is no question when you still have your paper ticket, instead of the hard AP.

The CMs will look at the date and they'll know that he purchased it that same day so he should be OK. The only times the CMs have questioned us on a blockout day is when we upgraded and we didn't always have to show the receipt. This ocurred upon re-entry as it already showed we had entered the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter