Any baking pros?

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
i am pretty much a pro myself, but I really love to bake Christmas cupcakes with crushed peppermint on them. They’re gorgeous and so good. But I have really consistent problems with the crushed peppermint becoming tacky and damp. It doesn’t seem to matter whether I crush them myself, buy crushed peppermint in a jar, mix it with a bit of cornstarch....I still have the problem. Anyone have experience with this or solutions? Thanks so much!

There's too much humidity in the air.

Putting cornstarch on it is only going to make it worse. It will draw the moisture out from the peppermint and also from the air and turn into goo.

Keep the crushed peppermint in an airtight container and don't make them too far in advance.

Last edited:
I'd try a different brand of pre-crushed. I bought a resealable sack and used it for two Christmases with no clumping. When I used to DIY crushed candy canes, I'd sift out the powdery bits with a colander so the pieces were larger, and that helped with stickiness. I live in a dry area, so that probably helps too.

Yeah. Maybe our area is just too damp this time of year. I have to put it on when I frost them or it won’t stick. If they aren’t all eaten that night they are sticky the next morning. :/

I am personally not a big fan of peppermint, but I think you're fighting a loosing battle: It's not just the dampness in the air, it's also the moisture in the icing. You can't change this.

My best suggestion: Wait 'til the last minute to sprinkle your crushed peppermint on top of the cupcakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter