Another Thanksgiving food thread - green beans

I've had green beans w/ almonds. Growing up, my mom used to call it "Green Bean Almondine".

And our family likes balsamic vinegar, so, OP, your balsamic green beans w/ almonds sound really good to me!

We used to do the Green Bean Casserole at holidays, but I decided, since nearly everything else was some form of a casserole, we needed just a basic vegetable.

So, now we saute the green beans w/ bacon & onions... and butter and a little bit of salt & pepper.

Oh, & we use frozen green beans - never canned.

Have never eaten this type of dish, but can say from your description that I would not like/eat it either.
I have also never seen a frozen green bean that was worth eating.
Basalmic???? with hard chewy/crunch almonds mixed in???

If I had to make a casserole, I would make a green-bean casserole. (the kind that some people love and some people hate)
But, being a wanna-be foodie, I would make it well prepared.
I would use fresh green beans if I could find any good ones at all, par-boiled.
(Yes, one version might include some cream of mushroom soup)

Just for everyday, I buy the Leseiur good whole green beans.
Pour off most of the liquid, that might taste like-the-can.
I add fresh water, some olive oil, and a dash of dried chopped/minced onion.
Boil for a while, to boil them down and bring out the flavor.

Balsamic vinegar is delicious on roasted green vegetables. WE generally add some to Brussels sprouts, asparagus and now i plan to try it on roasted green beans. Reduced, it is a lovely glaze that adds a subtle difference to veggies.

When I was younger green beans almondine was a "thing" and I still make them on occasion. The almonds are slivered and sautéed in butter, and then added to the green beans. It is really a very nice alternative to plain beans.

Frozen green beans are pretty darn good if they are cooked right, you can control the salt and never taste a can. I steam them and then if I want to hold them for dinner I plunge them in a ice water bath to stop the cooking and retain the. Bright green color. Drain and toss them back in a large skillet, when I am ready to finish them I will sometimes add just enough butter to coat and sautéed them. Salt and sometime s a bit of lemon pepper at the end. Delicious, and a great veggies for an everyday supper.

Normally just my Mom's way. Which is not very good for you :) Saute onions and bacon then add the beans(canned of course). Then add some butter and salt. And the way my Mom cooked them...til they were so tender they fell apart. Lately, I have been doing the traditional green bean casserole. But my favorite way to do beans is saute some fresh beans with some mushrooms. We like them still a bit crunchy so I saute them just long enough to get the flavors good :)

This is the stuff of green bean heaven for us:cool:.
Been cooking the beans this way for over 20 years. I blanch the larger, more starchy beans, dry, Food Saver or Zip Loc 'em and into the freezer they go to be sauteed the day of consumption. Lately I've found local markets selling haricots verts and they are great for less prep time and don't have a starchy taste.

I'm not a fan of most canned veggies and think there should be a special circle of Hades for who ever decided that what was essentially the K rations of Napoleon's army should be marketed to the general populace.

I never had green bean casserole until I was in my early 30s, and DH's mom's house for Thanksgiving. It's now a staple on our T-giving table- DD and I enjoy it, and it says "Holidays!" to DH. This year T-giving is at DD's new home. We've been discussing the menu (turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, roasted root veggies, cranberry sauce) and had the shopping list all set to go when she sent a panic-email: "MOM!! We forgot the green bean casserole!!" Not to worry, I already had the ingredients set out- canned green beans, Campbell's mushroom soup, French's fried onions!

I like canned green beans and will sometimes take them for lunch if there are no fresh veggies available. I also like fresh green beans. I sauté minced garlic in olive oil, throw in the green beans to stir fry, add some balsamic. Another version is to sauté garlic and ginger in peanut oil, throw in the beans, add some soy sauce or a little teriyaki sauce. What I do NOT like is frozen green beans. I find them spongy and flavorless/waxy. NOT my cup of tea!

Last edited:

I'm not a huge fan of green beans.

For thanksgiving, I make green bean casserole (which I personally hate). Complete with canned french cut green beans which are even more gross than the regular canned green beans, but that's what the family likes.

For normal meals, I use fresh green beans and steam them in the microwave with a little butter and garlic salt. That's my son's favorite vegetable.

For Thanksgiving, I make the green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup and crunchy onions. Last year I tried to be fancy and make a different version, and it was really tasty, but it took me forever to make and stressed me out. So this year I'm going back to the original.

For regular meals, it depends. I don't mind canned green beans - grew up on them so we'll have them every once in awhile. But lately I've been doing the mail order meal delivery thing, so they'll have fresh green beans to prepare. I've done several kinds but my favorite is simply roasted with olive oil and salt and pepper.

My family had never had green bean casserole until I decided to make it for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago. They love it and It's usually gone by the end of the night. I use frozen haricot vert, blanched and plunged into ice water to keep them crisp and green. Jazz up a box of Trader Joe's Portobello Mushroom Soup with sauteed mushrooms and garlic, and a splash of heavy cream. Top with TJ's fried onions and freshly made buttered breadcrumbs. Makes great leftovers if there's any left - not soggy or mushy at all.

We do ours with butter, garlic and cranberries (we use Craisins). Generally not even a morsel is left.

Trim fresh beans, steam to soft but firm, and drain. Meanwhile, melt butter and add garlic and cranberries to it, let them soften a bit, then add to beans and stir around. Serve hot.

This sounds delicious, we usually do either asparagus or green beans almondine, but I think I might do this instead. I won't touch the casserole kind, I usually like my vegetables with just a little salt, so making them as a casserole is just way too much for me.

Yes, these casserole dishes can be 'heavy'!!!
I def. would only do them for an occasion like Thanksgiving.
My veggie casserole is usually a fresh steamed broccoli and rice casserole.

Sorry I sounded so negative on the greenbeans in the OP's first post,
I thought THAT might have been the version of greenbeans that nobody liked.

I sort of enjoy green beans when they're nicely prepared. Just dumping them out of can, no thank you. I am a sucker for the casserole but I'd be the only one eating it so I'm not making it just for me. There will be plenty of food here without it.

This sounds delicious, we usually do either asparagus or green beans almondine, but I think I might do this instead. I won't touch the casserole kind, I usually like my vegetables with just a little salt, so making them as a casserole is just way too much for me.
I’m this way. With the exception of Emeril’s Broccoli Cauliflower Gratin once every couple of years (usually when we have others over or are going to someone’s house) I tend to like my veggies “clean.” Steamed or roasted with a kiss of olive oil or butter and lightly seasoned.

I’m this way. With the exception of Emeril’s Broccoli Cauliflower Gratin once every couple of years (usually when we have others over or are going to someone’s house) I tend to like my veggies “clean.” Steamed or roasted with a kiss of olive oil or butter and lightly seasoned.

I like my vegetables to be easily recognizable and I don't eat canned vegetables. I just...don't.

I usually make them just sauteed with almonds and add a little balsamic vinegar. I prefer frozen to fresh so I don't have to trim them. I made green bean casserole one year because my SIL specifically requested it. My family wouldn't touch it. So how do you make yours?

A 'must have' green bean casserole which we mostly all love - wouldn't be our Thanksgiving meal without it! The few that might not care for it can eat other things - everyone doesn't have to enjoy the same things.

We eat them tossed with olive oil, slivered almonds and seasonings for a lot of other meals.

...Our more typical version of green beans are either lightly steamed or roasted in olive oil. Growing up, my mom and her family's idea of green beans was to cook them forever in a pressure cooker with a bit of bacon or ham hock. Bleh, cooked down to nearly the consistency of baby food.
Sounds like my mom's recipe for chop suey. Wound up with gray meat and mushy everything else. She was a wonderful baker, but not great cook.

I usually make them just sauteed with almonds and add a little balsamic vinegar. I prefer frozen to fresh so I don't have to trim them. I made green bean casserole one year because my SIL specifically requested it. My family wouldn't touch it. So how do you make yours?

Steamed, then I add butter.

I use frozen organic green beans and roast them with olive oil straight from frozen. While they are cooking, I caramelize shallots in a cast iron pan. When both are done, I toss together and sprinkle with a little Himalayan salt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter