Another Thanksgiving food thread - green beans

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
I usually make them just sauteed with almonds and add a little balsamic vinegar. I prefer frozen to fresh so I don't have to trim them. I made green bean casserole one year because my SIL specifically requested it. My family wouldn't touch it. So how do you make yours?

Have never eaten this type of dish, but can say from your description that I would not like/eat it either.
I have also never seen a frozen green bean that was worth eating.
Basalmic???? with hard chewy/crunch almonds mixed in???

If I had to make a casserole, I would make a green-bean casserole. (the kind that some people love and some people hate)
But, being a wanna-be foodie, I would make it well prepared.
I would use fresh green beans if I could find any good ones at all, par-boiled.
(Yes, one version might include some cream of mushroom soup)

Just for everyday, I buy the Leseiur good whole green beans.
Pour off most of the liquid, that might taste like-the-can.
I add fresh water, some olive oil, and a dash of dried chopped/minced onion.
Boil for a while, to boil them down and bring out the flavor.

If it's for a holiday, I'd make green bean casserole. For everyday, I boil or saute them. It just depends on what the rest of the meal is.

Have never eaten this type of dish, but can say from your description that I would not like/eat it either.
I have also never seen a frozen green bean that was worth eating.
Basalmic???? with hard chewy/crunch almonds mixed in???

It's delicious and very quick:

Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil and add beans. Simmer until crisp-tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Set aside.

Saute shallot low heat for 2 minutes, stirring, until shallot is limp but not brown. Add green beans to skillet and heat over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour in balsamic vinegar and after about 30 seconds, sprinkle with almonds.

We don’t have them for thanksgiving but for a regular dinner i will sauté frozen Trader Joe’s green beans in olive oil. Sometimes adding toasted almonds.

I do the frozen green bean balsamic glaze for a weeknight meal. Holidays mean green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup and french fried onions. They are one of the expected dishes on my table at the holidays.

Green Beans with Mushrooms and Bacon
Yield: about 6 servings

6 slices bacon
1 pound green beans, stems removed
1 pound medium-sized mushrooms, each cut into quarters
1 large red onion, sliced
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper

In a 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat, cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain
To bacon drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, add whole green beans, mushrooms, onion, water, vinegar, salt, and crushed red pepper; cover skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

To serve, spoon bean mixture into bowl. Crumble bacon and sprinkle over beans.

For holidays I make a traditional green bean casserole with the cream of mushroom soup and fried onions. I only have it like 2x a year so I enjoy it as a tradition.

For everyday cooking I usually toss fresh green beans with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic and roast them. Sometimes I sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese, but just as often don't.

That is one vegetable we've never cooked for any holiday meal.

Same here the green veggie of choice in our family has always been collard greens.

We also don't do pumpkin pie(always sweet potato pies) or mashed potatoes (always rice).

I'm ready for Thursday

I never cared for green beans, anyway (I could take them or leave them), but summers spent picking green beans as a kid turned me off big-time. I might eat them in the classic green bean casserole with the crispy onions on top, but otherwise, no. We do brussel sprouts for a green veggie for Thanksgiving dinner.

I do like Brussels sprouts. I usually roast them. Maybe I'll make those this year too.

I despise green bean casserole, with a passion. I usually make them fresh, sauteed like the OP mentione, or with some other flavorings.

This year I'm making flat italian green beans, because they are DH's favorite. Will boil until soft, then mix them with butter and herbs.

Fresh, roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh garlic and when they come out a drizzle of lemon juice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter