Another question...

DJBounce

DIS Veteran
We will be obtaining a guest assistance pass for the use of a stroller to be used as a wheelchair. When we arrive at an attraction where people can stay in their wheelchairs instead of getting out (ie. It's a Small World), does this apply to the strollers or not? Thanks

Yes. Wear your GAC in a badge-holder around your neck if you can find one big enough. As you approach the area, before they even start to read or tell you no, just say, "We are using the stroller as a wheelchair." Then flash the GAC, and the CM wil give you instructions on where to go next. Remember that sometimes the wheelchiar lines are much longer thatn the regular queue.

If you need to use alternate entrances for other reasons (behavioral or medical issues) you will need to ask that this be noted on the GAC as well

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

You will be able to take the stroller into all the rides/attractions with you. You will have no problem with any of the shows, but I'm not sure a stroller will consistently fit in all the wheelchair cars for rides. They are designed for wheelchairs which have a set of large wheels in back. Some of them (like Small World) have sort of a large wheelwell and I'm not sure the stroller will sit flat in it. Some, like the train at MK, the Backstage tour at MGM and the Safari at AK have actual tiedown systems for the wheelchair. I'm not sure if your stroller will be able to be tied down in those.
Like teri mentioned, there will be a longer wait in most cases for the wheelchair accessible car. Like in Small World, I think there is usually only one in the ride at a time, so if the wheelchair car has just left, you have to wait for one whole ride cycle for it to get back to you. If your child can get out of the stroller, you will have a much shorter wait in most cases. In Buzz Lightyear, we had to wait for 3 ride cycles because there were 2 people ahead of us when we got in who also had to stay in their wheelchairs. ˇ

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Right... if you can carry your child, or they can walk short distances, you may not have to wait as long on those rides compared to if they must remain in the stroller or wheelchair.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Thank you for the responses. We will be able to lift her out of the stroller onto the rides. As long as we can keep her in the stroller through the queue and then lift her out. She's too heavy to carry through the queue! Thank you!

DrewJ
Roughly the size of a barge

you will be able to take her stroller right up to the boarding area with you in almost all cases. There are a few (like Pirates) where you can bring it on the boat with you if it folds. Otherwise, you leave it where you got on and it will be waiting for you when you get off.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Hi DJ - we lift our DS and carry him on to a lot of rides, then we hold on really tight! He's not too big yet, but getting there..

We would wheel / stroll (back in the good old stroller days) in right to the loading area and then lift him in.

Works on Splash Mountain, Dumbo, Buzz, Haunted Mansion, POTC, TeaCups (ugh), oh my gosh - the list just goes on. He really loves all kinds of movement, so as long as we can support him safely on the ride, he goes!
Sue

dps.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter