Another question about walking a reservation!

Cool. I'll be adding a friday and saturday but the points will end up being the exact amount I require for the weekend's stay. Thanks for your reply! Also, do I have to be on at exactly 8am now to walk this reservation? Since it's only two days I'm guessing I'll have to go through this every morning?
Walking doesn't require doing it early in the morning. Just before anyone can book the first day of that room.

so if I am walking a reservation and right now have dec 9 - 16 booked, when I get up tomorrow to change to dec 10-17, does it matter if I do it right at 8am or am I safe all day?

so if I am walking a reservation and right now have dec 9 - 16 booked, when I get up tomorrow to change to dec 10-17, does it matter if I do it right at 8am or am I safe all day?

Safe all day. We are walking too and I haven't had any problems changing later in the day or even waiting an extra day. I think technically you can wait 6 days because you have blocked that room for 7. It just makes me feel better to change it everyday.

Cool. I'll be adding a friday and saturday but the points will end up being the exact amount I require for the weekend's stay. Thanks for your reply! Also, do I have to be on at exactly 8am now to walk this reservation? Since it's only two days I'm guessing I'll have to go through this every morning?
You'll need to do it every day (since it is only a 2 day reservation) As long as you always have the the 11 month window, day 1, booked you can't "loose the string". If you had a 7 night reservation, you only need to update every 6 days. But since you only need 2 days, you'll need to "walk" it every day. It doesn't have to be at 8am sharp.

You'll need to do it every day (since it is only a 2 day reservation) As long as you always have the the 11 month window, day 1, booked you can't "loose the string". If you had a 7 night reservation, you only need to update every 6 days. But since you only need 2 days, you'll need to "walk" it every day. It doesn't have to be at 8am sharp.
I think i've got it! Thanks everyone!

Does walking work at 7 months against other non home resort people?
It can help, but it is no guarantee.

Home resort members can put a block in the middle of you walk. Plus you want to be walking your reservation everyday close to 8AM.

If home resort member left 10 rooms available on Friday, but only 5 available on Saturday and there were 10 people walking from Friday to Saturday, only 5 rooms are available for 10 needs..... or the day earlier 5 home resort members could reserve and block all 10 people on a walk.

But it does help, and even builds in a "fallback" of a split stay if you do get blocked mid-week. It does put a bird in the hand.

How early are people walking these days? Usually you can see available days past the 11 month booking period. Even standard 2 bedrooms at AKV Jambo are booked up at 11 months. I'm going to start trying for a 2 bedroom value at AKV as soon as I can if I can get my hands on the first day for a late January stay. Hopefully it'll ease up some for January 2020 stays.

I've never walked a reservation before but decided to do it this year. Last year I was able to snag a value studio at AKV for December 23rd on the 23rd of January. I was in shock. With SWGE opening in the fall, and who knows when they will announce a date, I decided to walk it just on the chance they announced the opening date next week or some rumor comes out about a date, while I'm walking it.

How early are people walking these days? Usually you can see available days past the 11 month booking period. Even standard 2 bedrooms at AKV Jambo are booked up at 11 months. I'm going to start trying for a 2 bedroom value at AKV as soon as I can if I can get my hands on the first day for a late January stay. Hopefully it'll ease up some for January 2020 stays.
That standard 2BR is a lockoff, so you’re competing with studio bookings for all intents and purposes.

To add to the fun, planning a long walk for this reservation (late January) is you would need to walk through the very popular marathon weekend (Jan 8-12)... which means you may be competing with potential walkers for the marathon (ironic). You may be better off jumping on after the 12th. Not sure how much lead time that would give you for a walk.

Oh. And SWGE. Godspeed.

Well my first walk is a successful one. I still don't understand the mechanism but that's ok as long as it worked. I am now just one day away from my final dates. Thank you everyone for your help. It sounds like a few others learned a few things too :)

Well my first walk is a successful one. I still don't understand the mechanism but that's ok as long as it worked. I am now just one day away from my final dates. Thank you everyone for your help. It sounds like a few others learned a few things too :)
Sounds like it was a walk in the park..... (of course walks in Disney parks are not always relaxing)

Hmmm... this walking still has me puzzled... surely no walk in the park for me! :-). Everytime I think I'm getting the hang of it, I read something which confuses me.
I'm currently walking a reservation from Dec 25th - Dec 31st. I need to add more days. I have "locked" these 7 days, but when I want to add another day (Jan 1st etc.) I don't technically have to do it tomorrow? I don't get that. There will be a chance someone else will grab that day, right? I'm booking a 2-bedroom lock-off. They can be booked separately as a 1-bedroom and a studio as well, so even if someone doesn't need the 2-bedroom, they might grab the next day for the studio or 1-bedroom, right?
Or, alternatively, if someone cancels their walking reservation for the 2-bedroom, someone else can grab it an add an extra day?
I called Member Services earlier to add a day (can't do it online as I'm using some transferred points as well) and I asked them if it was necessary to do it day by day, and they told me it would be the best way to do it, just to make sure. The problem is I won't be able to, due to some other obligations. I'm getting really anxious about this, as I really want this reservation.

I get the feeling I'm missing something. Please fill me in :tongue:

Hmmm... this walking still has me puzzled... surely no walk in the park for me! :-). Everytime I think I'm getting the hang of it, I read something which confuses me.
I'm currently walking a reservation from Dec 25th - Dec 31st. I need to add more days. I have "locked" these 7 days, but when I want to add another day (Jan 1st etc.) I don't technically have to do it tomorrow? I don't get that. There will be a chance someone else will grab that day, right? I'm booking a 2-bedroom lock-off. They can be booked separately as a 1-bedroom and a studio as well, so even if someone doesn't need the 2-bedroom, they might grab the next day for the studio or 1-bedroom, right?
Or, alternatively, if someone cancels their walking reservation for the 2-bedroom, someone else can grab it an add an extra day?
I called Member Services earlier to add a day (can't do it online as I'm using some transferred points as well) and I asked them if it was necessary to do it day by day, and they told me it would be the best way to do it, just to make sure. The problem is I won't be able to, due to some other obligations. I'm getting really anxious about this, as I really want this reservation.

I get the feeling I'm missing something. Please fill me in :tongue:
They can't grab either part of, nor the whole 2BR lockoff, for the night of Jan. 1 tomorrow because tomorrow is more than 11 months from Jan. 1, 2020. However, you can book that night because you already have Dec. 26 and the subsequent nights leading to Jan. 1 booked.

We walked to get VGC for 4 nights before D23 begins this August, and we were successful. (1BR, of course). That was at 7 months. I also walked to get 4 nights the first week of December at my home resort of WL BR in a studio. But generally I will not need to walk reservations for WL BR, where we stay most of the time (because we LOVE it)

They can't grab either part of, nor the whole 2BR lockoff, for the night of Jan. 1 tomorrow because tomorrow is more than 11 months from Jan. 1, 2020. However, you can book that night because you already have Dec. 26 and the subsequent nights leading to Jan. 1 booked.

Okay, I understand that. Still it's all very confusing (probably as I'm new to the process).
It makes sense when you think about it, but still it feels a bit weird to me you could technically wait 6 days to add a day when you have 7 days blocked (as I read here before in this thread) and be sure you can keep adding days without a problem. It makes me feel better to add a day each day as well, as Liv&Leah said.

I'm right there with you looking for a 2 bedroom value Jambo for late January but we've been totally locked out through December. People are saying that Disney has the entire Jambo value category blocked out. Hopefully that ends before we get to our desired dates but I'm already looking at alternate plans. Best of luck to you!

Okay, I understand that. Still it's all very confusing (probably as I'm new to the process).
It makes sense when you think about it, but still it feels a bit weird to me you could technically wait 6 days to add a day when you have 7 days blocked (as I read here before in this thread) and be sure you can keep adding days without a problem. It makes me feel better to add a day each day as well, as Liv&Leah said.

Yes, I know people frown upon walking, so I try to free up those days more quickly for others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter