• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another question about renting from a DVC member

Momonthego4all

Earning My Ears
Thank you for your responses to my first thread. We are renting OKW from a DVC member and I have a few other questions I am hoping you can help me with.

She asked what rooms we'd prefer (though of course not guaranteed) and I think I messed up on giving her the numbers. We have young kids so want to be fairly close to the pool, restaurant and shuttle waiting area. Does anyone know what buildings would be good for this (I don't want a *lot* of noise, traffic, just close enough to wak.)

If I can't get a change and am in a far building, how far is the walk from one side of the hotel to the other?

Also, when I look online on Disney's site at the Magical Express to take you to/from the airport, it says it doesn't go to the Downtown Disney resorts. I was under the impression that OKW was a Downtown Disney resort. Will I not get that service?

One of the posters in a thread (I think on another board?) said that you can actually look up DVC members and get their history on rentals. Does anyone know where I could find this?

I'm just getting nervous mainly because I can't call to confirm this reservation. This is our first trip taking our kids and I want to make sure it is everything runs smoothly.

Thank you all so much.

Momonthego4all---who's head is literally spinning!

I can answer a couple of your questions. I think when they say DME doesn't go to the DTD resorts, they mean the non-Disney resorts that are located near DTD. OKW would be included in Magical Express.

If you don't get a room near the main pool, I don't think it's a big problem. Each section of the resort has a quiet pool, which just means there's no lifeguard and no slide, and if you want to go to the main pool you can just hop one of the buses, as they stop at the Hospitality House on the way out of the resort.

We've stayed in the section furthest from the main pool (South Point) and we loved it. It was very quiet, we were right next to a bus stop, and very close to the quiet pool.

I'm sure you'll get knowledgable answers to your rental questions. Good luck!

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/hotlspg.html

there are 7 DTD resorts: including the best western, hilton, holiday inn...but none of them are owned by disney. therefore, no DME.

OTOH, OKW and SSR are "near" DTD but ARE owned by disney.

i think the location you're looking to request would be "near the hospitality house." (see map below.)

you can keep track of whether renters on the DIS have a history, in general (whether they've posted before and for how long...including whether they've posted on the rent/trade board) - but nothing detailed that i know of.

nervousness is generally considered the "price" you pay for getting a rental at a discounted price compared to calling disney directly. there's not much to be done for it other than buying into DVC.

okwmap-newestcodedmap1-2007copy.jpg

I appreciate your responses. The map also helped tremendously. I called the person I booked through and asked her to just make sure we are somewhat close to the hospitality house. I hadn't realized how far everything was spread out at the resort.

Thanks so much.

A DVC member can't "make sure" you are close to the hospitality house. REquests are just that -requests. They are NEVER guaranteed. You might get it and you might not. It just depends on how full the resort is and if it's available.

Just some extra advice. Most of the OKW buildings do not have elevators. So you have to haul all your stuff up stairs to the second or third floor. Only three have elevators (62, 63 and 64) and these are often requested, so not all requests get these buildings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter