Another Overnight Breakfast Casserole

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
DD had some friends over last night for a sleepover & wanted a breakfast casserole for this morning. Since we'd just had the one with sausage & potatoes on Christmas morning, she asked for the one with peaches that I made a couple months ago & told you about. Of course I didn't have any canned peaches in the house. :rolleyes: Rather than run out to the store last night, I used another we hadn't tried before and really liked it!

Of course I changed things. LOL When don't I? ;) I just used the apples I had in the house - Gala I think. I used 2% milk instead of the half & half. I completely skipped the butter as I couldn't imagine why it would be needed.

The baking times were pretty accurate, but it sat for a good 15 minutes after we took it out of the over before we cut into it. The girls STILL couldn't just eat it without blowing on it. Man that was HOT!! Oh - and I completely forgot about the warm maple syrup it wanted you to serve with it. When I asked DD she said it was terrific the way it was & didn't know why you'd "bother to add the calories." And then upon further reflection she said that it would be too sweet with the syrup.

Definitely a keeper! :thumbsup2

Overnight Apple French Toast

1 (1 pound) loaf egg or white bread, cut into 1" cubes
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, diced
2 cups peeled green or fuji apples, rough chopped
8 eggs
2 3/4 cups half-and-half cream
1 cube (1/2 c) of melted butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 1/2 of the cubed bread in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the cream cheese evenly over the bread, and top with the apples. Top with remaining bread.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the cream, butter, maple syrup and cinnamon. Pour over the bread mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and press down so that all bread pieces are soaked. Refrigerate 2 hours to overnight.
Preheat oven to 325 and bake 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with warm maple syrup.

I can quite see why you used milk and skipped the butter - I can almost feel my hips spreading:rotfl2: (Oh, wait, they are anyway :headache: )

I can quite see why you used milk and skipped the butter - I can almost feel my hips spreading:rotfl2: (Oh, wait, they are anyway :headache: )

:lmao: Then you'll really like this...DH had his leftover the next day. He added more powdered sugar to his piece (since he couldn't see it anymore LOL) and then added maple syrup as well! He said it was too dry. :rolleyes: Sorry dear...I warmed up a piece for me & thought it was quite moist! And I'm sure you can guess which one of us is skinny...hint - it isn't me. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter