An introduction and a waitlist question

DisNutt4

Earning My Ears
Hi guys!

It is very nice to meet you all. This is my *first post*, but I have been reading the boards for a while!

I'll go on ahead and introduce myself... short and sweet... My parents have been DVC members since 2004, our home resort was originally BCV, but we fell in love with OKW and it has been our home resort since ~2008. I did the DCP in 2013, Fall Advantage, worked at the Liberty Inn and worked Food and Wine of that year as well! I couldn't have been placed at a better location (got to watch candlelight processional every night of the holidays while selling gingerbread cookies and spiked hot cocoa!)

My fiance and I are taking our first solo trip to Disney since our daughter was born. We are taking a Feb 2018 trip for her 2nd birthday! It was a last minute decision so I have been stalking the RAT and have a few dates waitlisted... which leads me to my question.

We will be there 2/7-2/11. We are currently booked for an AKV Kidani Village savanna view studio on 2/8 and an SSR preferred view studio 2/9-2/11. We are currently waitlisted (as of two days ago) for an AKV Kidani Village savanna view studio on 2/7 and an SSR standard view studio on 2/9-2/11.

Should I go on ahead and book a backup room on 2/7 at SSR and risk having to move 3 times during our short stay? We've never stayed at AKV and would like to try to stay there at least one night if at all possible. Additionally, a standard view SSR studio is currently available for 2/9 but not 2/10. Do I go on ahead and book the one standard and change my waitlist to only 2/10 and risk having to move EVERY night of our stay? SSR standard room isn't as much of a concern since it is only 4 more points to be in the preferred room.

I really appreciate the help and look forward to contributing more!

Book a backup. Always book a backup.

Also, if a unit is available for one day of your waitlist, book it and modify the waitlist. A waitlist has to match 100% (all dates) to pick up. Shorter waitlists stand better chances.

Book a backup. Always book a backup.

Also, if a unit is available for one day of your waitlist, book it and modify the waitlist. A waitlist has to match 100% (all dates) to pick up. Shorter waitlists stand better chances.

With your suggestion, I went on ahead and booked SSR for 2/7. Here's to hoping my waitlist comes through!

And keep checking the RAT regularly. I was waitlisted for a 3 day span in May (using 2 membership #'s I had the entire reservation, then each individual day waitlisted). Lo and behold, when I did my lunchtime check yesterday, all three days were available (and no, not a single one of my waitlists tried to grab those days). So stalk, stalk, stalk :)

We are taking a Feb 2018 trip for her 2nd birthday

I can't really help with the original question... I just wanted to say 'welcome' and we have a DD turning 2 in Feb '18 as well. Congratulations and I wish you the best of luck getting your trip together.

I can't really help with the original question... I just wanted to say 'welcome' and we have a DD turning 2 in Feb '18 as well. Congratulations and I wish you the best of luck getting your trip together.

This age is too fun! Her first trip was at 7 months and although I know she still won't be able to grasp everything on this trip, we're really looking forward to seeing her reactions! She's a huge fan of everything Finding Dory right now!

This age is too fun! Her first trip was at 7 months and although I know she still won't be able to grasp everything on this trip, we're really looking forward to seeing her reactions! She's a huge fan of everything Finding Dory right now!

Yes, it is! My pic is with ours this past March at 13 mos (older sister is now 5). She did great! Ours is all about Moana. The 5 yo is a huge Star Wars fan. It's a great time to be a DVC member! :)

Hi! Welcome and congratulations! Our younger daughter is turning 2 in 9 days! It is a really fun age.

I know you really want to stay at AKV, BUT ... I'm going to be a little contrarian and say that for a 4 night stay, I would avoid a split stay if at all possible and save AKV for another trip when you are able to plan more in advance. If SSR preferred studio is available both 2/7 and 2/8, I would book that NOW and call MS to link your 2 2-night reservations, and then WL your entire stay at AKV as all 4 nights on the off chance someone cancels. (and potentially WL another 4-night stay). Then if your WL comes through you are not worrying about switching rooms or changing length of our stay, etc.

IF 2/8 is not available in an SSR preferred studio (doesn't look like it is right now), I would still go ahead and book 2/7 in the SSR preferred studio, keep AKV 2/8 and then use my WL as follows:
1. 2/8 SSL preferred studio
2. 2/7 AKV Kidani Savanna studio.

That way, if WL#1 comes through, you can link all 4 nights and then readjust your WL to 2/7-2/11 Kidani anythings (maybe use 1 WL for savanna, 1 for standard?)

If WL #2 comes through, then you have a 2-2 split stay at AKV and SSR, and then you *could* try WL 2 nights at AKV, or leave it as is. But I am generally leery of a split stay for such a short trip, especially with a toddler, naps, packing and unpacking, etc will all be messed up that day. On a longer trip it wouldn't matter as much, but if you're only spending 4-5 days at the parks, having a cranky day in the middle can be a bummer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!