An Alphabetical Stroll Through Bali and Australia- G is for: Getting some Great Views on Kangaroo Island! (9/14)

Okay, confession time, the root veggie PAH-stee wasn't my favorite. I think, maybe, ? it was the rutabega? turnip? Dunno, something in it was "off". But I ate it anyway just to say I'd tried it. :)
Ok bear with me as some of these quotes are out of order but I had to go backwards (& read what I’d missed) before I could go forwards.
Belfast Pasties, or so I’ve discovered thanks to your comment above, are a wee bit different to Aussie (& Cornish) ones. Ours only contain potato, onion and sausagemeat with some salt and pepper seasoning. They are then battered and fried.

And don't get me started on round-abouts
:rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:
But they make road junctions so easy to navigate. Every American I’ve ever met who has driven here hates roundabouts.

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tiny!!!! I swear I thought I was going to have a head on every single time I passed a car.
Just a wee bit nerve wrecking then! Bet you were glad when you finally parked the car for a bit.
It's kinda when you start to feel "old".
That’s me with plants and growing things we can eat but I’m mean who doesn’t love (almost) free food :confused3
TBH, he kinda freaked me out. I didn't wanna get any closer for sure. I was NOT going to get out of the car!
I am totally with you on this one. He was huge!
(I tried not to scare him this much. :lmao: Look closely)
You scared the bejeepers outta him :rotfl:
Great photos as always.

Did you know that eucalyptus oil is still today
I did because I still use it. A few drops on a hanky or in an oil burner can make all the difference if you feeling stuffy with a head cold. Definitely helps make breathing easier.

On the way back I was treated to the incessant squawking of the resident flock of Galah (or Rose-breasted Cockatoo). These are ubiquitous in Australia, and we saw them in several of the places we visited; the novelty of such a lovely bird, despite the racket they make never wore off.
We have mostly boring birds of various shades of brown here in the Midwest. I can see where you would enjoy the variety of birds that are beautifully colored. :)
Again we were rather smitten with the quality of Aussie campgrounds and… okay, bombshell… had I to do another Australian tour someday, I would 1,000% rent a camper van and do that.
I am in awe of the campgrounds, too. The federal and state campgrounds here can be pretty lean on the amenities.

:cheer2:

Ok I don’t know how it happened but somehow I left off at sausage rolls and then missed a chunk of your report so I’m heading back to read but spotted this along the way and just wanted to say how excited I am for you :cheer2:
They made you hungry didn't they? LOL!!! You left off to grab a snack! ;)

I'm SO SUPER out of Disney trip planning practice. I have no idea what's new or how to plan a trip to make it smoother. OY!

Ok bear with me as some of these quotes are out of order but I had to go backwards (& read what I’d missed) before I could go forwards.
Belfast Pasties, or so I’ve discovered thanks to your comment above, are a wee bit different to Aussie (& Cornish) ones. Ours only contain potato, onion and sausagemeat with some salt and pepper seasoning. They are then battered and fried.
Oh wow, yeah that's sure different!!! Sounds yummy though!!!
:rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:
But they make road junctions so easy to navigate. Every American I’ve ever met who has driven here hates roundabouts.
I think because for us, we're going "backwards"!! LOL!!! But I agree they are a good solution; we have loads of them here in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
Just a wee bit nerve wrecking then! Bet you were glad when you finally parked the car for a bit.
I sure was!! Yikes!
That’s me with plants and growing things we can eat but I’m mean who doesn’t love (almost) free food :confused3
I sure do!!! I LOVE the Farmer's Market here on Thursday and Saturdays.
I am totally with you on this one. He was huge!
I think easily 4' tall!
You scared the bejeepers outta him :rotfl:
Great photos as always.
:laughing:
I did because I still use it. A few drops on a hanky or in an oil burner can make all the difference if you feeling stuffy with a head cold. Definitely helps make breathing easier.
I need some today!! I've been sick for days with laryngitis and a lost voice.
I absolutely love this photo!
It draws me in- I feel like I’m on the top step and I just want to head down to the shore.
Beautiful!
I think it turned out pretty nice too. :) I took it more for the view, but the stairs add some nice "draw in".
The YouTube videos of you driving made me laugh. Sounds like you are great travelling companions :goodvibes
Oh my goodness, it was hilarious. We can be an absolute riot together and know when we need a bit of space too.

We have mostly boring birds of various shades of brown here in the Midwest. I can see where you would enjoy the variety of birds that are beautifully colored. :)
Here too except our red cardinals. We have the occasional hawk, but mostly LBB (Little brown birds), wrens, sparrows, etc... All of them there were so exotic to me and so colorful!
I am in awe of the campgrounds, too. The federal and state campgrounds here can be pretty lean on the amenities.
I agree, just not hardly comparable. These were so clean and had so much to offer!!

They made you hungry didn't they? LOL!!! You left off to grab a snack! ;)
:rotfl: I am almost always hungry especially when looking at photos of food :rotfl:
I'm SO SUPER out of Disney trip planning practice. I have no idea what's new or how to plan a trip to make it smoother. OY!
I am totally out of the planning loop now too.
Oh wow, yeah that's sure different!!! Sounds yummy though!!!
I used to love a pastie supper ( comes with chunky chips ) unfortunately as I’ve gotten older it no longer loves me ( gives me heartburn) 😱😂
I think because for us, we're going "backwards"!!
Well that does make sense.
I sure do!!! I LOVE the Farmer's Market here on Thursday and Saturdays.
I love a good farmers market but St George’s Market Belfast is my all time favourite market. Everything from fish to fancy scarves and handmade jewellery Some great photographers sell their work there too. You’d love it.
I need some today!! I've been sick for days with laryngitis and a lost voice.
Ach no that’s not fun. Hope you feel better soon.
Oh my goodness, it was hilarious. We can be an absolute riot together and know when we need a bit of space too.
That’s the perfect type of person to travel with :goodvibes

This is what has been distracting me today. I’m the student nurse at the top of the queue. Been organizing our reunion for 40years since we began our training and one of the girls further back in the queue came across this photo of us at the hospital shop. Honestly I was not born in the dark ages - it’s late 1984 or early 1985- our first ward placement 😱😍

Attachments

• 8f066b1e-47e1-46bb-a435-e2dfbece9ab5.jpeg
    8f066b1e-47e1-46bb-a435-e2dfbece9ab5.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
She wanted to make sure I mentioned that the lady that you can hear in the dolphin video had told us that the crossing to KI is indeed a particularly dangerous one. It didn't surprise them one bit that the ferry was having a tough go of things and they can very rarely make it there without some maneuvering.
Good thing you only had to do that once!

Wait...... you're not still there, are you?
Also... those driving videos: "Stay on the left." <5 minutes later> "MOM, stay on the LEFT!!!" <turns the signal on, but the wipers go instead (yes, the wipers and turn signal are on the opposite sides)> " :lmao: " "Shut up." <does it again 3 minutes later> "Oh my God, Mom, stay on the LEFT!" "I'm TRYING!"
:rotfl:
I also forgot the story of when we were checking into our AirBnb and our hostess was a Kiwi and had this super thick accent that we had a hard time understanding at times.
Oh, I completely get this.
We have a kiwi working in our office. He's learned to slow down and is usually understandable when he does.
But when he gets enthusiastic about something, or tries to make a joke, or...
No one understands him.
"There's "ighs" in the fridge". Anara, doesn't miss a beat and asks (out loud! :lmao: ) "That sounds interesting, what are "ighs"? After a couple more tries we finally understood she was talking about EGGS! Buahahahahahaha!
:lmao:
(I apologize in advance, again. This, and the next chapter, is very bird heavy.)
Makes sense. Emus are native to Australia and they're a heavy bird.
Nearly at eye-level I spotted an entire flock of Little Pied Cormorants basking in the branches of a eucalyptus.
Okay.....
It’s hilarious that they can do that with webbed feet!
... oh! :laughing:
IMG_4442-L.jpg
Pretty shot. :)

(I tried not to scare him this much. :lmao: Look closely)
Well poop! Some might think that's a crappy shot, but I think it's the sh*t!
There were a smattering of other gulls and terns floating around in the little bay
Gulls are bossy. Always making the other birds wait their tern.
I was a bit surprised that the tide pools really didn’t have anything in them like starfish or even shells.
Huh. I'm not very familiar with tide pools, but do know they often have marine life in them.
I still needed to get some coffee on board and get Anara moving.
Usually people throw cold water on people they're trying to roust out of bed...
But you chose coffee... I'm sure there are regional and familial differences everywhere.
On the way back I was treated to the incessant squawking of the resident flock of Galah (or Rose-breasted Cockatoo). These are ubiquitous in Australia, and we saw them in several of the places we visited; the novelty of such a lovely bird, despite the racket they make never wore off.
That's so cool. I don't think it'd wear off for me too quickly either. Only cockatoos I've ever seen have been in captivity. (pets or zoos)
Our hostess provided a really wonderful variety of breakfast items including cold cereals, instant oats, yogurts, fresh fruit, and even eggs if you wanted to use her community kitchen to cook them.
Yum! Even some ighs!
I was just getting the hang of driving again when we realized we’d forgotten to grab all of our food from the fridge for our meals for the next couple of days. UGH! Luckily, it only added about 30 minutes to our day and we didn’t arrive hours later that night hungry and totally out of luck.
Whoops! Good thing you remembered sooner rather than later.
Here is a map to orient you to the route for our day:
Not too bad. :)
Pretty. :)
While I was entertaining myself with the camera, Anara found a termite hill to diddle around with. No, there was no explosion of insects as she’d hoped. Maybe that’s for the best.
Lucky. North American termites... gentle, placid, slow.
Australian termites... designed for all out war, killing machines, will go after you and your family.
At most US “State” campgrounds you pay around $20-$30/night and get (this is a generalization and most of my camping experience is in Oregon) a picnic table, and metal fire ring and/or a raised BBQ, a water tap but it’s usually one shared between 10 or 15 sites and you have to walk a bit to it, and maybe some grungy community showers.
Wow! I've only been to a handful of campgrounds, myself, but... this does sound wayyy better.
The several we saw in various part of Australia included PROPANE (WTHeck?!)
!! :eek:
a nice picnic table, a food prep counter that was COVERED (say, what?!),
Covered?!?!?
I can also tell you that there are TONS of FREE camping areas with many of the same amenities that we came across as well. Again, this is just an outsider’s perspective, but color me impressed!!
Free is very good!
(Black Swan)
Getting blasé about those yet?

(Australian White Ibis)
Great shot!
(Great Egret)
Me too. I have great regret over several things.
(White-faced Heron)
You rarely see the Red-faced heron as they're too embarrassed to be seen.
(Masked Lapwing)
Still? Covid restrictions still enforced, huh?
In WWII alone: “Australia lost 34,000 service personnel during World War II. Total battle casualties were 72,814. Over 31,000 Australian became prisoners-of-war. Of these more than 22,000 were captured by the Japanese; by August 1945 over one third of them had died in the appalling conditions of the prisoner-of-war camps.”
It was a terrible time in humanity's history for many nations.

(These Eucalyptus Tunnels never got old!)
Another beautiful shot.
The visit to KI was very intentionally added so we’d have the best opportunity to see as much Australian wildlife as possible.
You're certainly getting that!
even Anara got a bit enthusiastic when we made our way to the duck blinds at the little lake. “Mom, did you get that one?!” “Over there, that one is new.”
:goodvibes
(Australian Magpie)
Very similar to the magpies I see up here.

(Black-tailed Native Hen)
Really like the blue on it.
(Juvenile Superb Fairywren- trust me, they are AMAZING when all growed up. ;) )
I Googled. :)

(Scarlet Robin)
On the other hand... very different from our Robins!
(Galah/ Rose-breasted cockatoo)
Again... so cool to see these in the wild.
(White-faced heron)
You rarely see the Red-fa... whoops! Already did that one.
Did you know that eucalyptus oil is still used in medication, cleansers, pain relief, insect repellant, and mouthwashes to prevent dental disease?
I knew some of those. :)
There is still a commercial operation on the island at Emu Ridge
And it's an operational still. Still... it's too bad this still is still still.
Again we were rather smitten with the quality of Aussie campgrounds and… okay, bombshell… had I to do another Australian tour someday, I would 1,000% rent a camper van and do that.
Not a bombshell. That doesn't surprise me one bit. I've seen some of the places you've stayed at on your TRs.
That is a really nice setup! :thumbsup2

What a gorgeous variety of birds!! And your day is just getting started!! From the look of your route map, you covered some awesome ground with your plans. I'm excited to see what else you discover.

E is for: Empty Salt Lake and Emu Bay

Of all the stops we made on our way to our Flinders Chase retreat, the duck pond may have been my favorite, however the remainder of the day did hold some interest as well as a stop for some ice cream which rarely disappoints!

Leaving the duck blinds at Duck Lagoon behind, we once again set out northward. By this time, the coffee was “percolated” and I was in need for a rest stop. What better place than a salty lake? The photos on google were accurate in that the “lake” was only a lake now and then; if you go, you take your chances. Today was a bust as it was just a salt flat devoid of any water whatsoever. Some reviewers gushed about its nice pink hue it gets when filled with rainwater, but today…. It was crusty and, while white, dry and kind of boring. We took a few goofy photos, I used the facili”trees”, and kept on going.

(I have no idea why there are fish traps here... I wouldn't think fish or crabs or anything else could grow in a super salty lake?)

By now we were a bit peckish- perfect timing for lunch al fresco! In my copious hours of research for this trip, one place that caught my eye was the Emu Bay Lavender Farm. Not only do they grow lavender on a small-scale commercial level, they have a really nice gift shop and a WONDERFUL selection of lunch fare featuring, obviously, lavender!

(Some photos scream B&W)

Wandering around the rows and rows of lavender was intoxicating! The bees happily buzzed from stem to stem busily gathering up the fragrant nectar to make a most luscious honey. It was not quite lavender “season” (March was Autumn, remember) so most of the glory of the fields had been spent. But there was still plenty of blooms making for a pretty scene.

Nevertheless, we did get to watch a worker using the harvesting machine that skimmed over the tops with a blade that cut the flower heads off leaving the rest of the plant unharmed. The stalks were spit directly into a bag and ready for processing into all kinds of wonderful products including sachets, perfumes, food products, and oils.

We ambled around to the various varieties growing and learned that each one has a best-suited purpose. Really, quite an interesting industry! While not a giant factory by any means, the Emu Lavender Farm is a smaller family-run business with a boutique model, perfect for a low-key stop among the things to see and do on KI.

It was still early enough in the day for a latte, and I was no less than thrilled to see they offered a lavender version. I’d had this several times before moving from Oregon as it was all the rage there and I really liked it. This one was just as amazing! Best part? The lavender syrup was made right there! I opted for a lavender scone as well. Anara got a scoop of ice cream, and this is what we were served…

(Yes, that's homemade clotted cream, and yes, I also bought some coffee packets for emergencies)

(Mmmm, lavender ice cream)

These were ENORMOUS portions and so beautifully presented. Just absolutely lovely! We headed outside to a shady table and chatted and giggled while the birds flitted about in the bottlebrush above us and amongst the rows of lavender all around us.

We took turns using proper, non-roadside “facilities” and I was treated to a little up-close and personal bird show. These sweet little House Sparrows scarfed down what I couldn’t and seemed content to let me photograph them as they did. Maybe it was the setting, but they didn’t come off as the very annoying instances birds do this in a Disney Park. These birds were WAY more polite in waiting their turn.

(Waiting its turn)

(Why not invite your friends?)

Happy and full, we drove to Emu Bay proper. Here, we found, you guessed it, more black swans and more pelicans. (And here I thought they were a rare find.) We walked to the end of the pier and watched some fishermen launch out for a day on the bay and wished them luck on their catch.

With that, and no more planned stops until our destination, it was time for the longer stretch of our drive.

I’d heard rumors that the EXTREMELY rare Glossy Black Cockatoo could be spotted in the Lashami Conservation Park if you’re really lucky. I didn’t plan to stop the car and hike, so I’m not sure why I thought I’d ever have a snowball’s chance in hell that I’d see one, but staying hopeful is always a good way to cruise through life, no? This may come as a shock, but we did not see a Glossy Black Cockatoo as we cruised through. Despite this, we had a lovely drive through miles and miles of densely forested landscape.

A bit of recent KI history:

Kangaroo Island, South Australia, experiences regular bushfires, especially during warmer months. Fires have historically been most common in the island's densely forested west, south, and east regions. Some parts of Flinders Chase National Park burn on average every ten years.

Here are some of the most significant fires in Kangaroo Island's history:

• 1954: 17.4% of the island burned
  • 1959: 16.4% of the island burned
  • 2007: A dry lightning storm ignited over 14 fires, six of which became major bushfires that burned out of control for 10 days. The fires burned 22% of the island, or 90,982 hectares, and destroyed nearly 3,000 hectares of agricultural and forestry land. One person died, and the suppression response involved 1,400 people and resources from several states.
  • 2008: 19.5% of the island burned
  • 2019-2020: This fire season was one of the most challenging in the island's history, with almost half of the island's 440,500 hectares burning. The fires destroyed 87 houses, killed two people, and killed an estimated 32,000 head of livestock. They also damaged businesses, grazing land, forests, crops, machinery, and infrastructure.
As you can see, just 4 short years earlier, 42% of the island was completely burned up. A huge part of the koala population was also killed. Many were rescued and moved to rehab facilities across the country. I was wondering if there’d be much beauty to see during our visit. I grew up in California and spent many years in Oregon where it can take decades for the land to recover after a fire. Delightfully, this ecosystem is a bit more resilient, and the amount of regrowth was quite astonishing! There was a ton of green and while, yes, there were plenty of reminders that fires had passed through, and the wildlife was making a wonderful comeback.

Right about 3:45 we pulled into the Flinders Chase National Park Headquarters to check-in and get some information about the park and the trail we were hoping to do before dark. Before we even got to the manned information kiosk, we got what we’d come to see!!! Two perfect Koala specimens hanging out in the trees right there in the parking lot. We’d hit the Motherlode 3 minutes after getting out of the car. Had other tourists not pointed them out, we'd have NEVER in a million years spotted them.

(The best photos I'd get)

We stood and ogled a good 15 minutes, then went and chatted with the Park Ranger. She gave us a plethora of great information, some maps, tips and hints, and let us know we were free to enjoy any of the park’s amenities as part of our lodging’s booking at no cost. This meant we “saved” about $50 in entrance fees alone. Given that there were really no other nearby accommodations anywhere near the price we paid for the cottage, it was a definite WIN!

Continued in next post (I hate the 35 photo limit)...

Last edited:
Continued from previous post (still hating the 35 photo limit)

Not wanting to waste a single moment of daylight, yet taking advantage of the evening hours when wildlife is most active, we immediately struck out on the hike that I’d hoped would produce a few animals: The Platypus Waterholes Walk. The trail is a “3.4-mile out-and-back trail near Flinders Chase, South Australia. Generally considered an easy route, it takes an average of 1 h 28 min to complete. This is a popular trail for birding, camping, and hiking, but you can still enjoy some solitude during quieter times of day. The best times to visit this trail are March through April. You'll need to leave pups at home — dogs aren't allowed on this trail.” -AllTrails

I also wanted to mention at how incredibly impressed I was at the attempts Australia makes at building trails and walks that are accessible. They really do a bang up job at helping all-abled bodied folks enjoy the beauty that this beautiful place has to offer.

We took it slow stopping to read all of the little informational signage along the way. We learned a LOT about the fires and how the land adapts and recovers, how the animals find ways to survive, and great deal about the geologic and biologic history of this amazing place. It’s no wonder Australia has set this vast area of land aside for preservation and responsible enjoyment!

As we approached the actual waterhole that the elusive Platypus calls home, another couple of hopefuls stood stock still watching and waiting. We silently joined them occasionally pointed at clusters of bubbles that would rise to the surface now and then. By this, we knew that the shy and not-often-seen, egg-laying mammal was there, but just not wanting to surface. My research shows that they can stay underwater for between 2 and 10 minutes, so I remained hopeful. Sadly, it/they? must have come up in places none of us were looking or couldn’t see.

At one point, another couple arrived, but found it necessary to start talking- an absolute no-no when what the rest of us, who’d stood there for nearly half an hour, had hoped to see some platypus action. Sheesh, some people! All of us shot them a “Seriously?” sort of hate glare, and they moved on. Why are you on a hike to a platypus pond and them wreck all chances of that? (There are LOADS of signs asking for quiet as the animals are just super shy.) Rant over. We stood another 10 or so minutes and gave up.
I’ve shamelessly “borrowed” a few photos off the net to at least show you where we were. I have zero idea why I didn’t get any actual shots of the waterhole itself or the viewing platform.

Here is the closest thing to an actual platypus we saw:

And what it would have looked like, had we actually gotten to see one:

(Freakish oddity of nature)

It was growing a bit darker, and I didn’t want to drive even the few short miles to our cottage at night. While it was a lovely little walk, we didn’t see a single animal, but did hear some off in the bush as we made our way back.

Well, except these:

(A Flower Chafer- type of scarab)

(The Crimson Rosella!)

(Little Wattlebird)

The 2 koala were still there in the same trees, but my photos didn’t turn out nearly as nicely as the first lot.

Luckily, we made it back to our cottage before the last bit of light faded away and with a small bit of confusion over the door lock, we made our way in and stood agape at the luxury that awaited us! Holy smokes!! This place was immaculate and well-worth every single penny we’d spent. But that’s for the next chapter. 😉 We heated up our meager, not-so-great dinner of a frozen pizza paired with a nice beet salad and lounged the rest of the evening. Anara was probably on Instagram and I contented myself pouring over the several gorgeous books they stocked the cottage with. There were some photographic histories of the place, bird books, and books on things to see and do on KI. I also took photos of the photos from the bird book going back through my own and comparing so I could get names and information on the ones we’d seen so far. And with that we drifted off to sleep in a very comfy bed.

Last edited:
:rotfl: I am almost always hungry especially when looking at photos of food :rotfl:
LOL!! Me too!
I am totally out of the planning loop now too.
So much has changed in the last 3 years since I've been. And since I'm so busy with school right now, I really don't have time to re-learn it all. I may just go with a very minimal plan and call it good. I do know that you don't have to make park reservations anymore if you're not an AP holder. Which seems totally backwards to me. :rolleyes:
I used to love a pastie supper ( comes with chunky chips ) unfortunately as I’ve gotten older it no longer loves me ( gives me heartburn) 😱😂
OH dear, that dreaded slow gut motility. Not fun!
I love a good farmers market but St George’s Market Belfast is my all time favourite market. Everything from fish to fancy scarves and handmade jewellery Some great photographers sell their work there too. You’d love it.
The UK is definitely on my bucket list. I"ve been to Scotland and England, but never Wales or Ireland. This sounds delightful and if I'm ever that way, I'll certainly let you know and we can explore this amazing-sounding market! :)
Ach no that’s not fun. Hope you feel better soon.
Feeling much better today. I "phoned a friend" and she called a steroid dose pack in for me and the irritation in my throat is almost totally better. My voice is back and now I just have a lingering runny nose.
That’s the perfect type of person to travel with :goodvibes
Nearly so! :) We have our moments as well when she gets moody. Then again... I can get that way too. ;)
This is what has been distracting me today. I’m the student nurse at the top of the queue. Been organizing our reunion for 40years since we began our training and one of the girls further back in the queue came across this photo of us at the hospital shop. Honestly I was not born in the dark ages - it’s late 1984 or early 1985- our first ward placement 😱😍
OH wow!!!! What am amazing photo. Thanks for sharing. How fun to have a reunion too!

That's amazing! I was far too late for the white uniform era but I did push for a capping ceremony. I was vetoed by all of my classmates but I think it's a cool nod to our predecessors.

I must say... you are in fine form here on this one! ;)

Good thing you only had to do that once!

Wait...... you're not still there, are you?
Sigh.... yep, a nifty return trip to look forward to.
Oh, I completely get this.
We have a kiwi working in our office. He's learned to slow down and is usually understandable when he does.
But when he gets enthusiastic about something, or tries to make a joke, or...
No one understands him.
I suppose it's a lot like me from the West Coast going to Eastern Kentucky and not understanding 2 words they say. Appalachian accent is thiiiiiiiiick!
Makes sense. Emus are native to Australia and they're a heavy bird.
Maybe that's why they're extinct. (Except for the re-introduced ones.)
Well poop! Some might think that's a crappy shot, but I think it's the sh*t!
Gulls are bossy. Always making the other birds wait their tern.
Very punny.
uh. I'm not very familiar with tide pools, but do know they often have marine life in them.
They usually have something in them....? The coolest tide pool find I ever had was in La Jolla where there was a small octopus in one.
Usually people throw cold water on people they're trying to roust out of bed...
But you chose coffee... I'm sure there are regional and familial differences everywhere.
No way I'd waste a good cup of coffee on that. I'd rather leave her behind. ;)
That's so cool. I don't think it'd wear off for me too quickly either. Only cockatoos I've ever seen have been in captivity. (pets or zoos)
RIGHT?! I mean, these, to us N. Americans, are super "exotic"!
Yum! Even some ighs!
Buahahahaha! Such a funny moment.
Whoops! Good thing you remembered sooner rather than later.
Yeah, the nearest grocery to our cottage was back in Vivonne 30 minutes away. No WAY I'd be driving an hour+ at night on KI.
Lucky. North American termites... gentle, placid, slow.
Australian termites... designed for all out war, killing machines, will go after you and your family.
Everything in Aus is trying to kill you.
Wow! I've only been to a handful of campgrounds, myself, but... this does sound wayyy better.
No wonder camping is such a big deal there.
Covered?!?!?
See?! I have NEVER seen a covered campground site anywhere in the States.
Getting blasé about those yet?
Nope. They're so pretty!
Great shot!
Thanks!! :) Birds are hard. :(
Me too. I have great regret over several things.
wah, wah, wahhhhh
You rarely see the Red-faced heron as they're too embarrassed to be seen.
You'd be lucky to see one!
Still? Covid restrictions still enforced, huh?
This bird couldn't let it go. Flying out there all alone and still feeling the need for one. :rolleyes:
It was a terrible time in humanity's history for many nations.
It truly was.
Another beautiful shot.
Thank you! I did manage to get a few pretty good ones.
Very similar to the magpies I see up here.
We don't have ANY, so again, pretty darned novel. The last ones I really remember seeing were when I visited BC about 30 years ago.
Really like the blue on it.
There's an even bluer one later in the trip. :)
On the other hand... very different from our Robins!
Ours are so boring. A very muted rust-colored breast and drab gray-brown everywhere else.
Again... so cool to see these in the wild.
I know! It was almost surreal.
And it's an operational still. Still... it's too bad this still is still still.
Still at it?
Not a bombshell. That doesn't surprise me one bit. I've seen some of the places you've stayed at on your TR.
I mean if the campsites are this nice and cater this well to the traveler, why not?!
That is a really nice setup! :thumbsup2
I thought so for sure.

What a gorgeous variety of birds!! And your day is just getting started!! From the look of your route map, you covered some awesome ground with your plans. I'm excited to see what else you discover.
There will still be some good birds for sure, but I think we're out of the proverbial woods now. Onto a bit more variety!

a stop for some ice cream which rarely disappoints!
Rarely indeed. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with some ice cream. Even soft-serve.
By this time, the coffee was “percolated” and I was in need for a rest stop.
:rolleyes:
What better place than a salty lake?
You pooped on a salty lakebed???
Today was a bust as it was just a salt flat devoid of any water whatsoever.
Actually... I think that's a win. You can see lakes anywhere... but a salt flat? That's harder to find.
I used the facili”trees”, and kept on going.
Very natural pose. I'm betting Anara shot a candid photo went you weren't expecting it.

(I have no idea why there are fish traps here... I wouldn't think fish or crabs or anything else could grow in a super salty lake?)
Hmm... I wonder if it's some sort of breeding area when there's water or something?
I'd heard you were salty, but this takes the cake!
a WONDERFUL selection of lunch fare featuring, obviously, lavender!
But of course.
And... oddly enough... my sister is visiting and she brought me some lavender cookies. So I can relate. :)

(Some photos scream B&W)
Terrific shot. I first thought this was from a book or the internet showing the past history of the place. :thumbsup2
Nevertheless, we did get to watch a worker using the harvesting machine that skimmed over the tops with a blade that cut the flower heads off leaving the rest of the plant unharmed.
Cool!
the Emu Lavender Farm is a smaller family-run business with a boutique model, perfect for a low-key stop among the things to see and do on KI.
I would much prefer smaller family-run to massive factory.
Looks very inviting. :)
Best part? The lavender syrup was made right there!
Bonus. :)
this is what we were served…
That all looks really good. :)
Really nice. Can totally see spending time there, just relaxing.
These sweet little House Sparrows scarfed down what I couldn’t and seemed content to let me photograph them as they did.
Sure. "You may photograph us as long as you keep feeding us."
Cute shot. :)
Here, we found, you guessed it, more black swans and more pelicans. (And here I thought they were a rare find.)
Did you find more outside of KI?
staying hopeful is always a good way to cruise through life, no?
::yes::
This may come as a shock, but we did not see a Glossy Black Cockatoo as we cruised through. Despite this, we had a lovely drive through miles and miles of densely forested landscape.
I'll call that a win, still.
2019-2020: This fire season was one of the most challenging in the island's history, with almost half of the island's 440,500 hectares burning. The fires destroyed 87 houses, killed two people, and killed an estimated 32,000 head of livestock. They also damaged businesses, grazing land, forests, crops, machinery, and infrastructure.
Whoa... that's... a lot.
A huge part of the koala population was also killed.
:sad1:
Before we even got to the manned information kiosk, we got what we’d come to see!!! Two perfect Koala specimens hanging out in the trees right there in the parking lot.
Hey! Great!
Were they wild? Part of the park's captive population? Placed there? Just lucky?
We’d hit the Motherlode 3 minutes after getting out of the car.
:rotfl:
This cracked me up!
Had other tourists not pointed them out, we'd have NEVER in a million years spotted them.
I've often wondered that, when walking through zoos or forested areas. How many animals am I walking right past without ever seeing them>?
(The best photos I'd get)
Pretty good ones!
Continued from previous post (still hating the 35 photo limit)
So... you're saying you're not a fan? Not quite clear.
The Platypus Waterholes Walk.
Cool!!
The trail is a “3.4-mile out-and-back trail near Flinders Chase, South Australia. Generally considered an easy route, it takes an average of 1 h 28 min to complete.
As soon as I saw the distance, I figured about 2 hours. I was close.
They really do a bang up job at helping all-abled bodied folks enjoy the beauty that this beautiful place has to offer.
:thumbsup2
Very different from most trails you'd see on this continent.
My research shows that they can stay underwater for between 2 and 10 minutes, so I remained hopeful. Sadly, it/they? must have come up in places none of us were looking or couldn’t see.
:( Too bad. How cool would it have been to see one??
At one point, another couple arrived, but found it necessary to start talking- an absolute no-no when what the rest of us, who’d stood there for nearly half an hour, had hoped to see some platypus action. Sheesh, some people! All of us shot them a “Seriously?” sort of hate glare, and they moved on.
:sad2:
Here is the closest thing to an actual platypus we saw:
Nice he held still for the photo...

(Freakish oddity of nature)
::yes:: Very!
(The Crimson Rosella!)
Wow! Crimson is right!
with a small bit of confusion over the door lock,
How so? Key turned in the opposite direction or something?
This place was immaculate and well-worth every single penny we’d spent. But that’s for the next chapter. 😉
popcorn::
I contented myself pouring over the several gorgeous books they stocked the cottage with.
Oh, man. Sounds like heaven!
I also took photos of the photos from the bird book going back through my own and comparing so I could get names and information on the ones we’d seen so far.
Smart!

I must say... you are in fine form here on this one! ;)
;)
I suppose it's a lot like me from the West Coast going to Eastern Kentucky and not understanding 2 words they say. Appalachian accent is thiiiiiiiiick!
Oh, I completely get that. I spoke with a young man from Eastern Kentucky and I only understood one word he said. And even that one wasn't easy to get!
Maybe that's why they're extinct. (Except for the re-introduced ones.)
I had no idea they were extinct in the wild!
Very punny.
The coolest tide pool find I ever had was in La Jolla where there was a small octopus in one.
Okay... that is cool!
No way I'd waste a good cup of coffee on that. I'd rather leave her behind. ;)
RIGHT?! I mean, these, to us N. Americans, are super "exotic"!
Everything in Aus is trying to kill you.
See?! I have NEVER seen a covered campground site anywhere in the States.
I've seen a few... but they're rare.
wah, wah, wahhhhh
We don't have ANY, so again, pretty darned novel. The last ones I really remember seeing were when I visited BC about 30 years ago.
There were a couple that I'd see every time I went to Costco, here. :)
Still at it?
Still

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest