Amazon Gift Card Theft.....Could Use Advice UPDATE PAGE 4

I agree with everyone's position on this, and everything you're saying ran through my head before I even posted. What if I turned this into the police, made the person mad, and they vandalized my house? What if I didn't do anything and the person knew that I wouldn't do anything about it and they decided to start stealing my packages? I'm really in a no-win situation with this. My gut was to not report it, but I needed to follow what I was being instructed by the USPS, Amazon, and Chase Bank. I'm just hoping this all goes away without any further stress on me. At this point, the $100 is the last thing on my mind.

The post on going back to Amazon.....I'm really surprised they couldn't help me out on this. I reported it, they know who used it, and they knew I had proof from USPS that it was misdelivered. I went back to Amazon four times explaining what happened and tried to go through the channels to someone higher. The last response I got from them was a definite "no". I think if it was anything but a gift card, they would have stepped up. I think it's just too easy to commit fraud with gift cards.

On a different note, my husband got a gift card for Christmas for a Mexican restaurant. When he tried to use it a few weeks ago, the restaurant informed him there wasn't any balance on the gift card. We didn't get the receipt with the gift card, so we don't have any proof what was on it. I think I'm done with gift cards.

I never once said that. My personal opinion is that I would not have filed a police report against a neighbor I don't know over $100.
Not knowing the neighbor didn't seem a sticking point before.

Seemed like your opinion was you wouldn't even think to contact the police as it's $100 NBD/not worth it.

Hopefully you can see where I got the impression no one should report these types of crimes. If it happened to you multiple times over time it doesn't appear that any of those times would have been worth it to you because it's still only $100 each time and the what ifs you can come up with. So yeah if I lived next to you it'd be a haven for anyone who thinks to do something like this because you would never want to 'rock the boat' if you will for 100 bucks.

This is a discussion forum. I'm discussing my opinion of what I would have done in this situation.
I'm discussing with you (see what I did there :) ) that I don't think bringing up everything under the sun that could happen is productive at this point.

Would I advocate for someone to go to their HOA for their neighbor's trampoline that is not in the proper location? Nah. In the interest of keeping the peace for that type of infraction doubtful.

Would I advocate if that person found out that same neighbor saw mail was addressed to a different person and rather than give it to them (or even put it back in the mailbox to be given to them by the USPS again) they proceeded to open up said mail and see a gift card and then proceeded to use the gift card? Different story there.

I'm honestly glad to see everyone's different opinions on here. It just shows me that my mixed emotions were pretty normal. I can't wait until I can get on here and post the outcome of all of this. Hopefully it's not that my house was vandalized!

I'm honestly glad to see everyone's different opinions on here. It just shows me that my mixed emotions were pretty normal. I can't wait until I can get on here and post the outcome of all of this. Hopefully it's not that my house was vandalized!

I can't wait to hear the outcome! Good luck.

On a different note, my husband got a gift card for Christmas for a Mexican restaurant. When he tried to use it a few weeks ago, the restaurant informed him there wasn't any balance on the gift card. We didn't get the receipt with the gift card, so we don't have any proof what was on it. I think I'm done with gift cards.
They certainly do make easy gifts and I am guilty of buying and giving them but.....

https://clark.com/personal-finance-credit/no-gift-card-rule-exception/
If you’ve been following Clark for a while, you know that he hates gift cards because you take money that can be used anywhere and turn it into “fake money” that can only be used at one place.

She reported a missing card to the police, it isn't like filing assault charges. Mail was misappropriated, and that is between USPS and the defendant; really doesn't matter whose mail it was. You are not supposed to open mail that is addressed to someone else, even if it ends up in your mailbox.

OP, if you are concerned about retaliation, get a locking mailbox and put up a webcam outside your house in a prominent location.

She reported a missing card to the police, it isn't like filing assault charges. Mail was misappropriated, and that is between USPS and the defendant; really doesn't matter whose mail it was. You are not supposed to open mail that is addressed to someone else, even if it ends up in your mailbox.

OP, if you are concerned about retaliation, get a locking mailbox and put up a webcam outside your house in a prominent location.

Funny you should bring up a locking mailbox and outdoor camera.....I'm on Amazon looking into both of those right now! It wouldn't have helped this situation, but the sheriff recommended it to avoid any future problems.

I'm really surprised that Amazon would just mail gift cards & not have the person sign for the card.

About a month ago, we got a letter from Lowe's about something we'd purchased in the past (I can't even remember what the item was). The letter told us that Lowe's had discontinued the item, but, because of the nature of the item (continued use?), they would be mailing us a $20 gift card for our inconvenience.

About 2 weeks later, we received the gift card via the USPS, but I had to sign for it. The mail person wouldn't just leave the envelope in our mailbox. And this was just for $20.

Funny you should bring up a locking mailbox and outdoor camera.....I'm on Amazon looking into both of those right now! It wouldn't have helped this situation, but the sheriff recommended it to avoid any future problems.
It would really be for your front door but a lot of people in my area have gotten the Ring system and then use Ring's phone app.

The app allows for:
  • monitor neighborhood activity
  • share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts
  • receive real-time safety alerts from their neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team.
In your area I don't know how many people would have Ring just passing along the information.

It would really be for your front door but a lot of people in my area have gotten the Ring system and then use Ring's phone app.

The app allows for:
  • monitor neighborhood activity
  • share crime and safety-related videos, photos and text-based posts
  • receive real-time safety alerts from their neighbors, local law enforcement and the Ring team.
In your area I don't know how many people would have Ring just passing along the information.

I'm looking into Ring now too! Thanks for the info!

Surely the postal service holds responsibility being that they delivered the item to the wrong address? I really don’t understand how someone could be out of $100 because of a mistake made by a company. Doesn’t shipping include insurance?

Surely the postal service holds responsibility being that they delivered the item to the wrong address? I really don’t understand how someone could be out of $100 because of a mistake made by a company. Doesn’t shipping include insurance?
I wouldn't be surprised if USPS has this covered in their deal with Amazon. Priority Mail includes up to $50 insurance but anything additional has to be opted and paid for. I have to think Amazon would prefer to self insure stuff like this.

I was shocked by this too. It wouldn't have been any problem if the gift card wouldn't have been used. Amazon would have cancelled the first one and issued me a new one. It became a huge problem when someone used the gift card....That's when it became mail fraud and theft. I'm hoping I hear something tomorrow from the sheriff.

At my local post office, there is a big, hand lettered sign hanging behind the cashiers that says “No insurance on packages containing cash or gift cards”.

I don't understand the whole retaliation fear at all. The police are going to know who stole the card. It's not like they wouldn't know who to go after if there was any kind of retaliation which is so far-fetched anyway. You should just let criminals get away with stuff because they live near you? Yeah, ok.

I don't understand the whole retaliation fear at all. The police are going to know who stole the card. It's not like they wouldn't know who to go after if there was any kind of retaliation which is so far-fetched anyway. You should just let criminals get away with stuff because they live near you? Yeah, ok.

100% agreed.

"Don't go after criminals because they might retaliate" is how cowards think.

Not knowing the neighbor didn't seem a sticking point before.

Seemed like your opinion was you wouldn't even think to contact the police as it's $100 NBD/not worth it.

You missed the point of knowing vs not knowing the neighbor. My point is that if its a neighbor you do not know, you do not know what they are capable of so the risk of retaliation could be higher. If its a neighbor that you do know, you know what you're dealing with and may be less inclined to be worried about retaliation. But either way, you are right that my opinion was (and is) that I would not call the police over $100. My tune has not changed, so not sure what you were getting at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter