Amazing Race

They do seem to have tasks where someone on the team cannot do, I forget which one it was this race, but Gary could not do it because of his size. To me I think they need to make every task something that everyone on the race is able to do. If you are going to allow a 6'6" 300 pound + football player on, he should be able to participate in everything they line up. Also, if they are going to allow a diabetic on the race, they shouldn't have a task where they have to eat a sugary dessert like beignets, JMHO.
IDK have you watched some of the prior seasons? They've had people overcome disabilities to complete challenges. I'm not sure the point of the show is to figure out the million ways that each and every contestant can do. And TBH when you actually look at the prior contestants and talk about eating beignets....Diabetes can be a very serious thing I just think we've probably forgotten what past teams looked like, their obstacles and tasks, etc.

Here's a great page for prior seasons with disabled contestants: https://amazingrace.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Disabled_teams

There was Margie and Luke who was a mother and son duo. The son was deaf and they were on something like 3 times? And he actually almost won. I loved watching him honestly even if he would get frustrated at times he just really never gave up.

Charla and Mirna where Charla has dwarfism. Also two brothers whose height was 4ft 9.

Adam and Bethany where Bethany lost one of her arms due to a shark attack (Soul Surfer ring a bell?)

Amy and Daniel where Amy had 2 prosthetic legs. Peter and Sarah where Sarah had 1 prosthetic leg.

Contestants have ran with injuries some sustained as a result of the race as well.

1608582129245.png

Uchenna and Joyce winners of Amazing Race 7 shaved their heads. Uchenna was bald, but Joyce shave all her hair off and she had longer dreadlocks from what I remember. I really enjoyed them, but they divorced after the show.

IDK have you watched some of the prior seasons? They've had people overcome disabilities to complete challenges. I'm not sure the point of the show is to figure out the million ways that each and every contestant can do. And TBH when you actually look at the prior contestants and talk about eating beignets....Diabetes can be a very serious thing I just think we've probably forgotten what past teams looked like, their obstacles and tasks, etc.

Here's a great page for prior seasons with disabled contestants: https://amazingrace.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Disabled_teams

There was Margie and Luke who was a mother and son duo. The son was deaf and they were on something like 3 times? And he actually almost won. I loved watching him honestly even if he would get frustrated at times he just really never gave up.

Charla and Mirna where Charla has dwarfism. Also two brothers whose height was 4ft 9.

Adam and Bethany where Bethany lost one of her arms due to a shark attack (Soul Surfer ring a bell?)

Amy and Daniel where Amy had 2 prosthetic legs. Peter and Sarah where Sarah had 1 prosthetic leg.

Contestants have ran with injuries some sustained as a result of the race as well.

I do remember people who had disabilities that competed in the race and I think it's wonderful how so many of them were able to overcome their disabilities. I just meant Gary could not do that task because of his size, there was nothing he could do, he couldn't even try. Every person on the show who has had a disability was able to try the task, it wasn't like they were banned from doing it like Gary was. I also brought up someone being diabetic having to eat something very sugary because it could be extremely dangerous to their health.

I do remember people who had disabilities that competed in the race and I think it's wonderful how so many of them were able to overcome their disabilities. I just meant Gary could not do that task because of his size, there was nothing he could do, he couldn't even try. Every person on the show who has had a disability was able to try the task, it wasn't like they were banned from doing it like Gary was. I also brought up someone being diabetic having to eat something very sugary because it could be extremely dangerous to their health.
I guess I disagree. It wasn't so much they overcame. I mean how do you think Luke completed tasks when he couldn't hear music the same as others or hear instructions? He relied on lip reading but when you're in a foreign country where language barriers already exist... I remember height being an issue as far as being able to complete tasks in other challenges throughout the seasons.

If a show let's you on for liability reasons they are going to make darn sure it's not where you would be putting your life literally at risk or you aren't as forthcoming about how your health risk affects you. It's why you have on Survivor they will pull you from the game if they feel your life is actually at risk, from infection, from bites, from heat stroke, to other things but not necessarily from broken bones or minor scrapes, etc

We appear to be more of an agree to disagree, totally no worries on that front :) I just hope I get more seasons to watch lol

All I could think of as a diabetic when they had to eat those beignets was what if a racer was diabetic?
I would have felt sick after eating all that sugar and carbs
Back in 2010 in TAR 17 Natalie "Nat" Strand had to eat a boiled sheep's head. She had been a vegetarian for a long time but she choked it down. I still remember the name of the episode! It was "Tastes Like a Million Dollars".

Back in 2010 in TAR 17 Natalie "Nat" Strand had to eat a boiled sheep's head. She had been a vegetarian for a long time but she choked it down. I still remember the name of the episode! It was "Tastes Like a Million Dollars".
I couldn't do it. Well I could but it would come back up! 🤮

ESPN had a reality competition called Beg, Borrow and Deal where one of the tasks was for all four members of the team to get a tattoo. One person - Josh Gates, the Expedition Unknown host - got one on his heel... which must have been fun to deal with during the remainder of the show.

I loved Beg, Borrow and Deal!!!

that was the most boring finale ever. I felt bad for the Beards, just one bad cab driver and you're out a million. Maybe they should have rental cars for the finale and then it's on you if you get lost? Idk, but the Beards never had a chance. I also agree with what an eternal waste going through all that cake.

that was the most boring finale ever. I felt bad for the Beards, just one bad cab driver and you're out a million. Maybe they should have rental cars for the finale and then it's on you if you get lost? Idk, but the Beards never had a chance. I also agree with what an eternal waste going through all that cake.

It was kind of boring. But Will crushing the King Cake challenge is what left the other teams in the dust, not the cab. In post race interviews, the Beards said they lost about 25-30 minutes on the cab ride, but spent 2.5-3 hours at the bakery and were ultimately about 2.5-3 hours behind Will & James at the finish line.

I think the needle in the haystack challenges are better suited towards the beginning of the race when it feels like there is less to lose (though, yes, an elimination at any point costs you the million dollar prize) ... they can be so random that it does almost seem unfair at times. I do think Will's knowledge of King Cake really gave him an advantage in this leg though because he knew exactly what he was looking for and was able to tailor his search to the size of the baby - and it was a solid strategic move when he kept the baby in his hand and didn't show it to the other contestants.

So I took a look at some of the results from the season, and we get some interesting metrics.

When we look at ranking based on average leg finish, the Top 4 are who you'd expect, and ranked number 5 are siblings, but perhaps not the ones you'd expect:
Yep, Michelle and Victoria, you were sunk by one very bad leg in France.

Then I tried to get a little more granular, assigning ranks based on each checkpoint and task in a leg, and averaging THOSE out.
As you can see, Michelle and Victoria drop a spot, but still rank fairly high for a team eliminated early.

Meanwhile, Kaylynn and Haley drop all the way down to 10th.

As for the Top 3, they are remarkably consistent with their average position value. It's hard to say how much the Alliance factored in here, as we get bits and pieces of the Alliance at work but never the full extent of what happened.

Gary and DeAngelo get quite a bump up as well so I think the Alliance were right to work against them, as dodgy as that was.

A few years ago, I read an article that said they use rental cars during the finale because a team once almost got in an accident driving themselves. The producers said by the final leg the teams are so exhausted that it would be safer to use taxis.

They filmed this season from November 10-December 3, 2018. So the New Orleans date most likely would have been 12/2/18 or 12/3/2018. If memory serves me, the Wonder didn’t start sailing out of New Orleans until January 2020, so they missed it by over a year.

Thanks. Yeah, that would have been before the Wonder started sailing out of NOLA.

A few years ago, I read an article that said they use rental cars during the finale because a team once almost got in an accident driving themselves. The producers said by the final leg the teams are so exhausted that it would be safer to use taxis.
I’d love to see them come to my golf cart community, and have them navigate with golf carts through their final day. They can be given golf carts that only go 18mph, slower than those zipping around them. It would be safe and entertaining, as getting lost here is half the fun.

I’d love to see them come to my golf cart community, and have them navigate with golf carts through their final day. They can be given golf carts that only go 18mph, slower than those zipping around them. It would be safe and entertaining, as getting lost here is half the fun.
I like that idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter