Am I CRAZY?!

I get what you are saying, but the biggest thing about the perks is that they could disappear. You could spend the extra $$$$ and next year there are no perks at all - or none that you would use. I really don't think MM for instance will last much longer - its an expensive sales technique that really doesn't seem to be driving sales. The Epcot lounge will disappear when Disney decides they have a better use for that space. We've lived through multiple different values of discounts on passes and on dining and merchandise. For me, its less about taking it for granted, and more about you can't count on those discounts being there. The only one we would have regularly used, disappeared after our first trip (discounts on park hoppers).

I get what you are saying, but the biggest thing about the perks is that they could disappear. You could spend the extra $$$$ and next year there are no perks at all - or none that you would use. I really don't think MM for instance will last much longer - its an expensive sales technique that really doesn't seem to be driving sales. The Epcot lounge will disappear when Disney decides they have a better use for that space. We've lived through multiple different values of discounts on passes and on dining and merchandise. For me, its less about taking it for granted, and more about you can't count on those discounts being there. The only one we would have regularly used, disappeared after our first trip (discounts on park hoppers).
I know perks have changed, and will change. I also know that they could disappear. But to me it seems that Disney is going out of their way to further differentiate Direct Vs. Resale (look no further that DRR). Would not getting rid of the perks make direct and resale all but the same?

You basically will not be able to get anything this November. In fact, I would start now of you wanted next November! You have to find the right contract, (points, UY = possible) get it through ROFR, close....

We bought direct at CCV last year. Since it's still new, DVD was offering some nice developer discounts. Also, my daughter is a CM, so we were able to get a nice CM discount on our purchase. The perks of buying direct are nice. Having that blue card definitely gives you that "first class" feeling, but should never be your deciding factor. If I were you I'd take the plunge. We were on the fence for so many years, and our only regret now is not doing it a lot sooner. Just know what you're buying into, and make sure that you're comfortable with the financial commitment. Most people who are unhappy with DCV are those who didn't bother to do their homework. Good luck!

Don't mean to hijack this, but do you find availability to be difficult at Vero Beach? We plan on going in the summer for a few days every other year. Debating buying a small Vero contract. I can't seem to find the rack rates listed anywhere so not sure if it's just worth it to pay cash for these stays.
We don't go to FL in the summer anymore so I don't ever look at the availability. I think you can get a studio for about the same as a hotel room - somewhere in the $250 +/- but honestly I haven't looked recently. If you plan on going to Vero every summer by all means buy a contract - you only live once so enjoy it!

It's never too late, if you think you will use it for the next 10 or more years. We, too, had racked up all of our Disney Trip Costs over the decades of raising our 2 children, and we would have saved on lodging, and enjoyed nicer digs. But, at 53 & 52, we were becoming grandparents, and it didn't take me long to do the math that justified us buying in at SSR. We have NO REGRETS! Based on my DVC math, we broke even 2 years ago, and next Jan we have booked a Grand-Villa for a week, for our whole crew of 9. (Can't imagine what the cash price would be on that) !
So I say GO FOR IT! I also recommend you continue to consult with all the experienced posters here on the boards; they have a wealth of information and experience! Good Luck!
Back in 1998 and 1999 we were booking OKW Grand Villas for vacations with my side of the family (9 guests) and then DH's side (7 guests) and we had a blast! Back then I think rack rate was about $1000/ night and wow, our guests were blown away when they opened that front door! Tip: I always "assign" each family to bring a few things - so those arriving by car can stop and get dairy and cold things, flyers can bring snacks, etc...everyone wants to bring something anyway...I always have a menu planned of easy meals we can make on the fly and always have fruit, cereals, etc for quick breakfasts...a bit of a control freak I guess :)

Just a quick point of view. We debated on buying DVC for a few years and finally pulled the trigger after renting points for the last two years. We debated resale vs direct. We decided to go direct and here is why.

We only wanted to pay cash so a small contract was the only option for now. We bought at OKW 75 points. We just closed this week on a Sept use year.

We received 2018 points and banked them and not to mention no dues on those points.

The price in a small contract resale on a 2057 has been anywhere from $110 to $120 and difficult to find.

We paid with our credit card and earned a nice amount with our rewards.

I believe the closing cost are alittle cheaper buying direct.

We plan on keeping the contract for the full term so having the availability to book at new DVC resorts was also a factor.

With all that being said, I would still highly recommend resale if you come across the right contract. Run the numbers and see what is in your best interest.

You know, if you managed to find a Saratoga contract with banked points, you could buy that resale right now and still go on that trip in November.
It's a long shot, but maybe...

It's so sad to cancel your trip...

If you can find a contract that has double or triple points, you can often negotiate for "free" dues on the banked points (we've done it recently with 250 pts so we got 500 pts with NO dues). Rent excess points for $14 - $18 per point which offset part of the purchase. Combine with a 0% credit card offer for 12-18 months? Get your cake and eat it too?

If you can find a contract that has double or triple points, you can often negotiate for "free" dues on the banked points (we've done it recently with 250 pts so we got 500 pts with NO dues). Rent excess points for $14 - $18 per point which offset part of the purchase. Combine with a 0% credit card offer for 12-18 months? Get your cake and eat it too?
Whoa! That is mind-blowing...I need to think about this...I do hate to cancel the trip!

Off topic a bit- Can you use a credit card at closing to pay for the contract? I would lover to do this but thought you needed to pay by check?

Off topic a bit- Can you use a credit card at closing to pay for the contract? I would lover to do this but thought you needed to pay by check?

Disney allows you to purchase the entire thing on a credit card. For resale, IIRC, I could put up to $1000 of my down payment on a card (there was a fee so I didn't) but the remainder had to be by bank check.

Not at all. The only perk that is of REAL value is the discounted AP. But we did the math (my hubby is a numbers guy, can you tell?). It would take soooo many years to make up the difference between AP discount savings and resale vs. direct savings, that we have no desire to buy direct. None of the other "perks" have even come into play in our vacations. I don't feel like we are missing out on anything.

I've given this a lot of thought and plan to do a trip a year, alternating likely October and June. So that's one trip per year but the trips are less than 12 months apart, I can use the AP for me, buying a child ticket for my daughter.

Frankly, the direct perks are not perks for me, since I will not be going but once a year, so all the little extras are covered by the AP. I do wonder if down the line I will go more on shorter trips, but my primary goal right now is a yearly 7-10 day vacation.

I have never once considered buying direct. The big debate is 160 AKV points or 200. (I'm leaning towards as many as I can afford).

I've given this a lot of thought and plan to do a trip a year, alternating likely October and June. So that's one trip per year but the trips are less than 12 months apart, I can use the AP for me, buying a child ticket for my daughter.

Frankly, the direct perks are not perks for me, since I will not be going but once a year, so all the little extras are covered by the AP. I do wonder if down the line I will go more on shorter trips, but my primary goal right now is a yearly 7-10 day vacation.

I have never once considered buying direct. The big debate is 160 AKV points or 200. (I'm leaning towards as many as I can afford).

Your situation is an example as why everyone is different. For a larger family, depending on the resort wanted, buying a 100 points to supplement a resale contract, to be member eligible, might not take that long. My son's family is a family of 4. If he bought CCV direct vs. resale, its about $50/point...or $5000. For his family of 4, one year of savings for the Gold pass is about $1600. In about 4 years, he has made that back. Of course, if one isn't going to go yearly and go enough days to buy an AP regularly, then you have to compare to other ticket options.

And of course, those direct points will be eligible for future resorts, which, for some, could also be important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter