All You Need is Love: an offsite, non-Disney PTR (counting down to May 2018)

Hey, come on! I said I would stop wearing that banana hammock from now on... :mad:

However, I got a great pair of black knee length socks in my case of Coors Light last week that I think will look great paired my Teeva's. :sad2:

Ladies, Randy Quaid (Christmas Vacation) ain't got nothin' on me!
https://i.imgur.com/7dpDNrp.mp4

giphy.gif

OMG I am dying! Gina's thread's always have the funniest people!
We've never been to Animal Kingdom Lodge, and I really would like to see it at some point. It's possible to see some of the animals from the common areas of the resort?
Yes! Go explore AKL-there is a place you can walk right onto Savannah and usually a CM is stationed there to answer questions on the animals. There are also a couple spots around the lodge to sit inside and watch through window. The outside area is right by Sanaa-and you may surprise yourself with what you could get here. The butter chicken is pretty mild. I prefer the dinner service as I like the options more, but my family are adventurous eaters.

And can you send the swim suit gods my way? I have 3 or 4 tankini's and don't really like any of them much. The one I did like the strap broke, and it has the plastic part to adjust and I don't speak swimsuit to fix it!

Hope you enjoyed your date night!

Now Gina you forgot to say "spoiler alert" , some people, well me, are reading the trip report and we're still on the drive down :rolleyes:

my bad. I will say no more. I suck :sad:

But that spoiler should not be any kind of shock since Mother Nature hates me!!! Gina was my sympathetic ear when we were deciding whether or not to leave early. And OMG, you do not suck. Silly, silly girl.

Pictures of the new bathing suit??? :goodvibes:goodvibes

And can you send the swim suit gods my way? I have 3 or 4 tankini's and don't really like any of them much. The one I did like the strap broke, and it has the plastic part to adjust and I don't speak swimsuit to fix it!
Well I don’t speak Starbucks....it’s kind of the same thing.

You silly, funny, wonderful people :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:...... I have literally laughed out loud at some of your posts today!! I will be back to answer them all either later tonight or earlier tomorrow (@bankr63 , you KNOW I've got a comment or two about the visual you created for us all :bitelip: ) but for now, the update I promised!! (before I get sidetrack yet again :rolleyes1 .... seems to be my bad habit lately)

So, that leads us to..........

Accommodations :)

While every once in a while we stray from the norm and stay somewhere different (usually on those years where we’re fortunate enough to squeeze in 3 trips versus our customary 2), this May it will be “the usual”: we are returning “home” to Sheraton Vistana Resort :cloud9:.

18301677_10155712032306416_1034554552451899844_n.jpg

As those who regularly read my reports already know, we fell in love with SVR on our first stay in 2013, and its been hard to consider any other property since. It really is the place that just wraps us in that warm feeling that everyone searches for on vacation: it’s relaxing, and peaceful, and so incredibly beautiful :goodvibes.

22688873_10156203485711416_8605268658794070974_n.jpg

With all the great amenities on the property (7 pools, 6 hot tubs, 13 tennis courts, mini golf, shuffle board, surrey bike rentals, scheduled daily activities, and a whole host of other features) there’s also no shortage of fun for those seeking recreation or entertainment. In fact, for our autumn trip, we are pledging to FINALLY do an (almost) exclusively resort vacation.....other than perhaps a MNSSHP or HHN, it will be no parks and all SVR.

18423699_10155712041371416_3050297467137244125_n.jpg

18301595_10155712039826416_6681942026079861558_n.jpg

Our villa, at 1260 square feet, is always more than the two of us really “need”……yet, after enjoying all the space and amenities of the timeshare life (a full kitchen with a breakfast bar, two full bathrooms, a screened in balcony, in-suite laundry, a king sized bed and jacuzzi tub in the master, and three flat-screen TV’s) we can’t fathom spending a week in a regular hotel room. I know that sounds bad, but we’ve become woefully spoiled :blush:.

18300935_10155712031591416_7467655491462637430_n.jpg

18342668_10155712032616416_1455893799035325093_n.jpg

18424058_10155712033126416_2739219522133119340_n.jpg

The Vistana is a very large resort, with multiple sections, but we know we will be in Fountains I as that’s where our ownership is. Over the years, we’ve actually been able to try out several different areas of the resort: in addition to Fountains, we’ve also had the pleasure of enjoying vacations in the Spas, Lakes, and Fountains II. Without question, Fountains I is our preference: the Fountains pool, with the 7’ middle depth, in-water volleyball net and beautiful waterfall (not to mention, the proximity to the Tacky Tiki Bar) is our favourite pool among the “big 3” -- the Fountains, Cascades, and Super pools.

14639827_10155141415106416_8205295322052576637_n.jpg

We also LOVE the way the hot tub area is incorporated into the Fountains pool complex: two separate tubs, one upper and one lower, tucked discretely into the rock behind the waterfall, just far enough from the hullabaloo of the pool to be peaceful but close enough to be steps from the action. It remains our favorite way to finish off the day: and we can pretty much devote time there after each day at the parks, at the pool and hot tubs in Fountains are both open daily until 1 am.

14611095_10155141416346416_4581901534589695324_n.jpg

14915605_10155141416021416_303688897707621066_n.jpg

While our timeshare week allows us to enjoy a 7 night stay as our ownership entitlement, this stay will actually be 8 nights in length: and that extra night is not costing us a dime this time around :thumbsup2. After a very unusual (but major) disruption suffered on our May 2016 vacation, the resort security manager sent us a letter of apology along with an offer of a complimentary 2 night future stay; a gesture that was not expected but very much appreciated. While our schedules (and the cats) didn’t permit us staying the full extra two nights on this trip (darn it), it allowed us to tack on at least one extra day and arrive on the Friday evening versus the Saturday night. An extension is an extension, even if it’s a short one ::yes::.

14639613_10155141372571416_6096368750659136089_n.jpg

Two weeks before our arrival, we will submit our room requests via the resort’s online pre-arrival system (Diamond Lane) and put in our customary request for a top floor unit, close to the pool area: we love the third floor villas in Fountains, as they have wonderful vaulted ceilings with skylights that make the rooms feel absolutely massive and bright.

22552567_10156203485841416_2625057732341550400_n.jpg

It does mean that we have to walk up and down the stairs every time we enter and leave our villa, but lord knows we can use the extra exercise with all the indulgent meals we enjoy in the south :rolleyes2.

18301324_10155712032696416_5107688973854760662_n.jpg

Anything that makes me feel a teeny tiny less guilty about my hot fudge sundae at Twistee Treat is a happy bonus ;).

11099991_10154243187411416_8059783771340064970_n.jpg

102 days until we are greeted with the two sweetest words in the world:

12390839_10154357205351416_6220521898638068991_n.jpg

While our timeshare week allows us to enjoy a 7 night stay as our ownership entitlement, this stay will actually be 8 nights in length: and that extra night is not costing us a dime this time around :thumbsup2. After a very unusual (but major) disruption suffered on our May 2016 vacation, the resort security manager sent us a letter of apology along with an offer of a complimentary 2 night future stay; a gesture that was not expected but very much appreciated. While our schedules (and the cats) didn’t permit us staying the full extra two nights on this trip (darn it), it allowed us to tack on at least one extra day and arrive on the Friday evening versus the Saturday night. An extension is an extension, even if it’s a short one ::yes::.

Refresh the memories of the masses?

But that spoiler should not be any kind of shock since Mother Nature hates me!!! Gina was my sympathetic ear when we were deciding whether or not to leave early. And OMG, you do not suck. Silly, silly girl.

No excuse for me having loose lips :guilty:. I didn't even give a thought to your trip report being underway and my comment being a terrible faux pas. I'm so brainless these days :sad2:.

Pictures of the new bathing suit??? :goodvibes:goodvibes

I was looking for something that was modest, yet still kind of pretty.....with a high neck to help keep the girls in place (nothing worse for a busty gal like yours truly to be whipping around Roa's Rapids and wondering if there might be a wardrobe malfunction at some point :crazy2:). So, this is what I bought:

a_630114.jpg

I find swim dresses to be the most flattering for my stumpy shape. The colors of this one are so springy and pretty.....much more so in person than in the photo.

Cute suit! My ever-increasing risk of skin cancer has pretty much solved all my bathing suit woes. I wear a long sleeved rash guard all the time now, so I never have to worry about what my bathing suit looks like. It's actually kind of helpful:jumping1:

The SVR looks as lovely as ever. I agree the space is wonderful. We have stayed at Windsor Hills quite a few times in either a 3br condo or a Townhouse.

While every once in a while we stray from the norm and stay somewhere different (usually on those years where we’re fortunate enough to squeeze in 3 trips versus our customary 2), this May it will be “the usual”: we are returning “home” to Sheraton Vistana Resort :cloud9:.

18301677_10155712032306416_1034554552451899844_n.jpg
Have you ever wondered what that figure is supposed to be in the middle of the 'V' logo? Kind of like a bird maybe? Although sometimes I think it is my shattered heart as I am leaving the resort...

After a very unusual (but major) disruption suffered on our May 2016 vacation, the resort security manager sent us a letter of apology along with an offer of a complimentary 2 night future stay; a gesture that was not expected but very much appreciated.

I agree with Dancin', I'm not sure we heard this story, did we?

I was looking for something that was modest, yet still kind of pretty.....with a high neck to help keep the girls in place (nothing worse for a busty gal like yours truly to be whipping around Roa's Rapids and wondering if there might be a wardrobe malfunction at some point :crazy2:). So, this is what I bought:

a_630114.jpg
Wow! You changed your hair!

Going through similar turmoils at home now as well. A+ brought a new suit home from Costco this weekend, but took it back as too much of 'the girls' were exposed. Personally I thought it was fine (not too risque) but she does occasionally bump into current/former students down there and must keep up appearances.

Have you ever wondered what that figure is supposed to be in the middle of the 'V' logo? Kind of like a bird maybe? Although sometimes I think it is my shattered heart as I am leaving the resort...

That's sad :sad1:

And I agree I can't think of the story behind the free vacation days either. You have us in suspense again Gina

Oh my goodness, what a story so far.

I am so sorry to hear of Jake's break up. Well, all I can say is, if it wasn't right, it wasn't meant to be.

Wahoo for the upcoming trip. After blowing the budget over Christmas, we've most likely going to head over the pond this year. Nothing in the works yet, but I need vacation. LOL

Our holiday trip with the mouse and Harry was awesome. We went to VB when it was in the mid 60's. We used the hotel's early entry and for the first 3 hours, we had the rides to ourselves. It was perfect. No lines. The kids thought the park was small, but I told them Universal is going to expand it. We will definitely be back to going there. We all enjoy a water park. Though Aquadica and TL are our favorite for now. Those Super Grover passes keep pooping up in my email. No reason so far to buy them, but they were a great deal in the years we used them. We all enjoyed DC, and having the cabana is now a need. No too bad a price for one. We had a cabana at Aquadica too. I think that's becoming a need also.

With that, carry on. I totally missed your posting on this part of the board. My bad.

Time for tea. Take care my friend.

Last edited:
That swim dress looks almost exactly like one of mine! I feel so weird wearing one because someone made the comment I was too young, but it really flatters my larger shape.

Your resort always looks so nice too.

Oh, my word.....I have SO much to catch up on :eek:. I ended up working until late last night [another trip to the urgent care clinic delayed me getting into the office, then I had a staff meeting which set me behind a little bit more] and by the time I rolled in at just before 9, all I wanted was dinner and bed :faint:.

I may have to do this in parts. Bear with me!!

Love the bathing suit!! It is really nice

Thank you! :)

Cute suit! My ever-increasing risk of skin cancer has pretty much solved all my bathing suit woes. I wear a long sleeved rash guard all the time now, so I never have to worry about what my bathing suit looks like. It's actually kind of helpful:jumping1:

Are they comfy? I've often wondered if they felt weird when they were wet (or make me look super busty :scared:). What kind of bottoms do you pair it with?

The SVR looks as lovely as ever. I agree the space is wonderful. We have stayed at Windsor Hills quite a few times in either a 3br condo or a Townhouse.

It's very tough to go back to a hotel room after being able to spread out like that, isn't it?

I've heard such great things about Windsor Hills, and the prices are always so great. We'll have to keep that property in mind for our next "extra" trip ::yes::.

Wow! You changed your hair!

Going through similar turmoils at home now as well. A+ brought a new suit home from Costco this weekend, but took it back as too much of 'the girls' were exposed. Personally I thought it was fine (not too risque) but she does occasionally bump into current/former students down there and must keep up appearances.

I don't think men realize just how easy they have it when it comes to swimwear. Steve doesn't give a second thought about how he looks in a suit, and I sooooo envy him for that. Thankfully, he's pretty understanding when it comes to my swimsuit "issues" (after witnessing a woman lose her top under the tipping bucket at the Americana Resort in Niagara Falls on one family vacation, he's gained a new appreciation for just how important a well-fitting suit can be :laughing:) so he's quick to encourage me to buy something I like. Happy wife, happy life, right? ;)

As for "the story" from our May 2017 stay......nope, I've never mentioned it here on the boards. I didn't do trip reports for either of our vacations last year, so that whole mess didn't get shared as it usually would have. One of the rare times where the Vistana staff let us down, and boy, when it happened.....it was in a BIG way :sad2:. But, that will be a story for its own separate post.

That's sad :sad1:

And I agree I can't think of the story behind the free vacation days either. You have us in suspense again Gina

Yikes, sorry!! :o I will try and fill y'all in as soon as I can. Might not be until early next week (I work tomorrow and then have a couple of appointments on Friday, plus we are hoping to sneak back to Canada for a visit with Jake if the weather co-operates) but it will come, I promise!

Oh my goodness, what a story so far.

I am so sorry to hear of Jake's break up. Well, all I can say is, if it wasn't right, it wasn't meant to be.

Wahoo for the upcoming trip. After blowing the budget over Christmas, we've most likely going to head over the pond this year. Nothing in the works yet, but I need vacation. LOL

Our holiday trip with the mouse and Harry was awesome. We went to VB when it was in the mid 60's. We used the hotel's early entry and for the first 3 hours, we had the rides to ourselves. It was perfect. No lines. The kids thought the park was small, but I told them Universal is going to expand it. We will definitely be back to going there. We all enjoy a water park. Though Aquadica and TL are our favorite for now. Those Super Grover passes keep pooping up in my email. No reason so far to buy them, but they were a great deal in the years we used them. We all enjoyed DC, and having the cabana is now a need. No too bad a price for one. We had a cabana at Aquadica too. I think that's becoming a need also.

With that, carry on. I totally missed your posting on this part of the board. My bad.

Time for tea. Take care my friend.

Lynne!!! :cool1::cheer2: So good to have you joining in!

I am so glad you had such a wonderful trip at Christmastime. After two consecutive years of Christmas in Orlando, it felt odd to spend the holiday season in the north. I'm glad the weather was just warm enough for you to sneak in a visit to Volcano Bay.....it is such a pretty park! We still prefer Aquatica as well, but VB was a must-do at least once. I had no idea they were expanding, though.....good for Universal :thumbsup2. That company is just on fire these days.

How exciting to be planning an overseas adventure! You thinking somewhere in Europe?

That swim dress looks almost exactly like one of mine! I feel so weird wearing one because someone made the comment I was too young, but it really flatters my larger shape.

Your resort always looks so nice too.

See, I don't have that problem :rotfl2:. No one comments that I'm too young for anything these days :rolleyes2.

Actually, that's not entirely true. The doctor who saw me at the urgent care clinic yesterday morning said he had to double check my date of birth on his chart, because he didn't think it could possibly be right. Even if he was pulling my leg, he still made my day :teeth:. It's the little things, right? LOL

I thought the long sleeve rash guard would be too hot, but it's surprisingly comfortable once you get in the water. I don't think it's super clingy, and it sure takes away the woes of trying to find a cute bathing suit. I have a pair of bathing suit shorts that I wear with it

I've been meaning to pop in and ask.....is Kobes on the list of places to eat this trip? I know we've discussed this ..and I'm just sayin, i can make time to go eat there with these awesome people i know...

Yikes, isn't that Japanese?!? :crazy2: Do you think I'd find anything to eat on their menu? :scratchin Remember that I have the palette of a 12 year old :rotfl2:.

I hope you'll make some time to hang out with some (albeit old but) awesome people at least ONE night that week. We're flexible so just let us know your schedule when the date gets closer. Have you been to the cookie dough cafe in Celebration yet? 'Cause that, my dear friend, is high on my must do list for this vacation. Diet be damned.

https://wonderlandcookiedough.com/

Well...I have to say that the place was so quiet it was the perfect recipe to get a lot done. However, I only made it to noon. The usual daily commotion motivates me to work, the quiet just did the opposite. I did make a small dent and brought home paperwork to get the next two weeks organized.

Hey, progress is progress! I'm glad it was a moderately successful day, and you still managed some time to rest and relax on your Sunday.

Finding a swimsuit that we don’t hate is just amazing luck.. finding it on sale as well.. that’s divine intervention right there!! I had a similar miracle at a Target back in 2016.. you never forget the day you are touched by the hand of the swimsuit gods. I will need to be on the hunt for a new one this summer. I am going to start praying now in preparation :scared:.

What movie did you end up seeing? Dh and I are thinking of going to dinner and movie this weekend to celebrate my birthday. Whatever it was, I hope it was a nice evening and that you are feeling better:).

Amen, sister. I seriously felt like I'd won the lottery :rotfl:.

We decided to see I, Tonya.....and it was EXCELLENT. Allison Janney was absolutely incredible as Tonya's mom. I heard she won Best Supporting Actress the other night at the SAG awards (I think that was it?) and let me tell ya, it was well deserved. If you get a chance to see the movie, definitely go.

So very true. A few years ago I got into the skirt-tini. It's nice to be able to mix and match pieces but mainly they give a little coverage to the thighs. They have become more and more popular because they are pretty easy to find now. I just bought three new ones from Costco. They are nice Christina brand and only $22.99 for both pieces.

Oddly enough, I just saw a whole display of swimwear at our Costco yesterday when I went to their pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions after my urgent care visit. How's that for the power of suggestion? They must be getting ready for all the Spring Break travelers.....that's coming up pretty darn quick.

You must find it odd not to be planning for March Break this year. It's been a custom for your for a long, long time.

I am definitely going to check these out because you aren't the first person who has mentioned really liking that swim suit. Costco is pretty much the answer to everything!

Ain't that the truth! I find it hard to get out of there without spending $100.....even if I vow to JUST pick up a case of water. They always seem to have something I didn't know I needed :blush:.

Sometimes I feel like I’m in a 1920’s bathing costume but I feel really comfortable. When I was at Costco I also bought 2 one piece suits and a regular tankini. Even at home trying them on I just wasn’t feeling it. I don’t even want to see the cellulite. I think everyone should wear what they feel comfortable in but sometimes I see people at the pool and wish they would cover it up a tiny bit.

Rule #1 of swimsuit shopping: enhance your assets and minimize your flaws. Unless your "assets" are already pretty prominent and then its quite okay to minimize those, too :laughing:.

Hey, come on! I said I would stop wearing that banana hammock from now on... :mad:

However, I got a great pair of black knee length socks in my case of Coors Light last week that I think will look great paired my Teeva's. :sad2:

Ladies, Randy Quaid (Christmas Vacation) ain't got nothin' on me!

ETA:Changed the imagur video to youtube for direct embedding.

So, is that why your kids aren't vacationing with you as much anymore? :scratchin ;)

speedo-meme-59da88adc1720.jpg

Welcome back Gina!

So sorry to hear about Jake's breakup. At least it was sooner rather than later, where it would further into wedding plans etc.
So painful though.

Yup, so true. But thanks :goodvibes. I appreciate the kind thoughts!

:rotfl: :rotfl2:

OMG I am dying! Gina's thread's always have the funniest people!

I know!! :p And that is what I just LOVE about you all :grouphug:. You guys never fail to bring me a smile!!

Yes! Go explore AKL-there is a place you can walk right onto Savannah and usually a CM is stationed there to answer questions on the animals. There are also a couple spots around the lodge to sit inside and watch through window. The outside area is right by Sanaa-and you may surprise yourself with what you could get here. The butter chicken is pretty mild. I prefer the dinner service as I like the options more, but my family are adventurous eaters.

Hope you enjoyed your date night!

I have kept the Boma reservation intact :thumbsup2. It's our first morning, and a Saturday, so I really didn't want to do a park on the weekends anyway. We will likely have a lazy day, with a leisurely breakfast at AKL and then enjoy checking out the resort and animals for a bit before heading back for pool time at SVR. Sometimes its nice to start off a trip on a relaxing note.

I haven't had a ton of luck with tankini's either (I really like the bottoms that I had, but wasn't thrilled with the fit of the top) but I think I just need to try a different top style. Maybe I'll make that my next challenge. If I can't find anything I like at Costco (now that @dancin Disney style and @pigletto have recommended them so highly, I would be remiss not to check out their offerings!) then I'll check out swimsuitsforall. That is generally my go-to site for swimwear.

Refresh the memories of the masses?

It won't be a refresher, it will be the first telling of the whole sordid tale. Since I didn't do any trip reports after either of our 2017 vacations, I never did get a chance to share the story with you guys. Coming soon in its own separate entry :surfweb:.

I swear we talked about this when you were here last, didn't we?

Chicken, steak, shrimp....rice, noodles (think lo mein Chinese noodles...or spaghetti noodles with soy sauce). (and sautéed veggies, but Kobes White Sauce makes them edible, even I eat them and I don't eat veggies!) There's also a small salad (literally lettuce with some Asian dressing on the side) and some kinda soup which is very bareable. Also, Hibachi is very fun, I really think you'd enjoy it! You should check with Steve. I recall you saying ya'll were wondering about it, but hadn't known anyone that had been there. Well, I HIGHLY recommend it! (Regardless, yes, I hope to get to see you at least one night you're here!)

I swear we talked about this when you were here last, didn't we?

Chicken, steak, shrimp....rice, noodles (think lo mein Chinese noodles...or spaghetti noodles with soy sauce). (and sautéed veggies, but Kobes White Sauce makes them edible, even I eat them and I don't eat veggies!) There's also a small salad (literally lettuce with some Asian dressing on the side) and some kinda soup which is very bareable. Also, Hibachi is very fun, I really think you'd enjoy it! You should check with Steve. I recall you saying ya'll were wondering about it, but hadn't known anyone that had been there. Well, I HIGHLY recommend it! (Regardless, yes, I hope to get to see you at least one night you're here!)

Okay, it's starting to come back to me now ::yes::. I had totally forgotten that we had talked about that :o. How much sangria did I drink that night? :confused: ;)

I'd be totally fine with chicken and rice noodles.....you're speaking my dietary language with those two entrees. I might have to draw the line at the white sauce, though, unless someone can confirm that there's nothing scary lurking in it like sour cream or cream cheese :sick:.

Where is the closest Kobes? Somewhere in Kissimmee or on I-Drive?

I thought the long sleeve rash guard would be too hot, but it's surprisingly comfortable once you get in the water. I don't think it's super clingy, and it sure takes away the woes of trying to find a cute bathing suit. I have a pair of bathing suit shorts that I wear with it

Very interesting!! Just not having to worry about being lathered from head to toe in sunscreen is unbelievably appealing, especially for this girl who only has two natural colors: lily white (pre-sun) or fire red (after-sun) :sunny:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter