When doing ticket bridging, does Disney consider the value of the ticket to be upgraded using advanced purchase price or gate price? I assume pre purchase but I just wanted to make sure.

When doing ticket bridging, does Disney consider the value of the ticket to be upgraded using advanced purchase price or gate price? I assume pre purchase but I just wanted to make sure.

The at-the-gate "up charge" will be nulled out during the upgrade transaction, so the guest does not have to pay it.

Just compute using the basic formulae I detail, to get your final cost, based on the prices to which I link in the Ticket Sticky "Cost to Upgrade Tickets" post (HERE.)

Trying to do the math, and I would greatly appreciate some help.

Looking at buying upgrading / bridging to a Florida resident gold pass. The pass price is $589. I can buy a ten day park hopper from UT for $505.57. Would I get credit for the advance purchase price of $553.80 when upgrading or would it be the gate price?

We were planning on doing a weekday select pass for my husband and kids and a gold pass for me so we will have photopass. I think I will be better off buying the 3 weekday passes using discounted gift cards, but the savings on the gold pass for me (if it works doing this) would be more substantial.

Can I get someone to confirm that my math is right?

Trying to do the math, and I would greatly appreciate some help.

Looking at buying upgrading / bridging to a Florida resident gold pass. The pass price is $589. I can buy a ten day park hopper from UT for $505.57. Would I get credit for the advance purchase price of $553.80 when upgrading or would it be the gate price?

We were planning on doing a weekday select pass for my husband and kids and a gold pass for me so we will have photopass. I think I will be better off buying the 3 weekday passes using discounted gift cards, but the savings on the gold pass for me (if it works doing this) would be more substantial.

Can I get someone to confirm that my math is right?

$553.80 would be the price you would be credited.

The at-the-gate "up charge" will be nulled out during the upgrade transaction, so the guest does not have to pay it.

It depends on what’s being upgraded to.

For going to an annual pass, the bridging is done to pre-arrival price. For adding days/options, the bridging is done to gate price. The reason for this is that there is no pre-arrival discount for annual passes, so there’s no need to make up for it.

It depends on what’s being upgraded to.

For going to an annual pass, the bridging is done to pre-arrival price. For adding days/options, the bridging is done to gate price. The reason for this is that there is no pre-arrival discount for annual passes, so there’s no need to make up for it.
I was just thinking about this this morning. We really want a hopper plus but are not sure if weather will allow for waterparks so I domt want to spend the money until we get there and see. So please let me know if I am right in my calculations.

So lets say I get a 10 day base ticket thru mapleleaf for 439.95. But then at the parks we decide to upgrade to hopper plus. The gate price for the 10 base after tax I believe is 495.32 and pre buy is 473.93. So if they consider the gate price then I would only have to pay a difference of 85.11. Otherwise pre-buy difference is 106.50. Am I right in how I worked it out?

I was just thinking about this this morning. We really want a hopper plus but are not sure if weather will allow for waterparks so I domt want to spend the money until we get there and see. So please let me know if I am right in my calculations.

So lets say I get a 10 day base ticket thru mapleleaf for 439.95. But then at the parks we decide to upgrade to hopper plus. The gate price for the 10 base after tax I believe is 495.32 and pre buy is 473.93. So if they consider the gate price then I would only have to pay a difference of 85.11. Otherwise pre-buy difference is 106.50. Am I right in how I worked it out?

$473.93
There is no reason for them to use the gate price, because you didn't buy the ticket from which you are upgrading "at the gate."

What will happen is that when you are upgrading "at the gate," they will compute
and charge based on a final price to YOU as though you had purchased the upgraded
ticket as a "pre-buy" even though you are standing "at the gate."

That's why I posted earlier...

$580.43 10-day Hopper PLUS, WDW price (pre-buy)
-473.93 10-day Base, WDW price (pre-buy)
=106.50 Cost to upgrade

For anyone who might be reading along...
This process for figuring the upgrade cost for tickets purchased ("created") at various specific dates is explained in the Ticket Sticky "Cost to Upgrade Tickets" post (HERE.)

Last edited:

$473.93
There is no reason for them to use the gate price, because you didn't buy the ticket from which you are upgrading "at the gate."

What will happen is that when you are upgrading "at the gate," they will compute
and charge based on a final price to YOU as though you had purchased the upgraded
ticket as a "pre-buy" even though you are standing "at the gate."

That's why I posted earlier...

$580.43 10-day Hopper PLUS, WDW price (pre-buy)
-473.93 10-day Base, WDW price (pre-buy)
=106.50 Cost to upgrade
Thats what i was confused about...not the ticket I want but the ticket I have to upgrade. Because if they credit me with gate price, that works in my favor. But would they know I didnt buy that ticket at the gate at an earlier date? But accrding to your explanation they always use pre-buy prices to credit for the upgrade. Well, it was worth a shot anyway.

Thats what i was confused about...not the ticket I want but the ticket I have to upgrade. Because if they credit me with gate price, that works in my favor.
1. But would they know I didnt buy that ticket at the gate at an earlier date?
2. But accrding to your explanation they always use pre-buy prices to credit for the upgrade. Well, it was worth a shot anyway.
1. Yes. (All tickets have a CODE on them that reveals their source.)
2. Not exactly. I was describing upgrading a ticket (like you have) purchased from an authorized ticket reseller/discounter.
Although, after computing the difference of upgrading a "gate price" ticket to the final upgraded ticket,
the net upgrade cost to the guest should be the same.

Last edited:
That makes sense. If i knew the weather, I would buy hopper plus now at discount. But I will just have to wait. Thank you so much for all your help.

Can someone explain the process of bridging for an annual pass renewal? Do I activate the new park ticket first then go to guest services and ask that the ticket value be used toward the renewal and pay the difference? TIA

Can someone explain the process of bridging for an annual pass renewal? Do I activate the new park ticket first then go to guest services and ask that the ticket value be used toward the renewal and pay the difference? TIA
No need to use the ticket to enter a park before using its value to help pay for an AP's renewal.
Using it first won't affect its value or ability to be "upgraded."

Just go to a ticket booth or Guest Relations and ask that your ticket be used to help pay for your AP renewal.
(It must be within 60 day prior to, or within 30 days after your AP's anniversary date.)

Be sure to know what your ticket is "worth" before you go the ticket booth or Guest Relations.

1. Sorry to hear that. Hope he's doing A-OK!
2. Yes.
3. Yes. (Your dad's name will pop up on the CM's view-screen, but it will make ZERO difference.)
4. New, never-used tickets can be transferred to anyone.
But, that's not a concern in this case, anyway.
The first time that ticket is used (in this case, by your mother) a new finger-scan will
be taken at that first gate, and the scan will THEN become the "correct" scan for that ticket
the rest of the trip. (And, it will be your mother's finger-scan.)

Oh Robo, Robo, wherefore art thou, Robo? My mother now wants to upgrade this ticket to an AP. Should I attempt to get the ticket transferred to her to make that process easier?

My mother now wants to upgrade this ticket to an AP. Should I attempt to get the ticket transferred to her to make that process easier?
Yes. Do that.

Just do the transfer to her in your MDX account.

Last edited:
Yes. Do that.

Just do the transfer to her in your MDX account.

Thank you for your prompt replies, as always! It says tickets are non-transferrable. They are MYW tickets that I booked as a package. Merp. I guess I have to call Disney? I'm just nervous about losing FP+, etc.

Thank you for your prompt replies, as always! It says tickets are non-transferrable. They are MYW tickets that I booked as a package. Merp. I guess I have to call Disney? I'm just nervous about losing FP+, etc.

You can wait until you get to WDW and do the transfer and upgrade at that time.
No reason to do the upgrade until then, anyway.

Maybe I am overthinking things but can anyone please confirm if I have eight days of Park Hopper plus the waterpark. Waterpark entitlements do not have to be used within those eight days park days? Another words our trip is for 10 days so eight days would be for parks and I want to use the water parks for those other two. Is this possible? I believe the timeframe is 14 days correct it we have to use up everything? I don’t have in my head when Tickets expire after first use of a package

Maybe I am overthinking things but can anyone please confirm if I have eight days of Park Hopper plus the waterpark. Waterpark entitlements do not have to be used within those eight days park days? Another words our trip is for 10 days so eight days would be for parks and I want to use the water parks for those other two. Is this possible? I believe the timeframe is 14 days correct it we have to use up everything? I don’t have in my head when Tickets expire after first use of a package
Any ticket assets ("entries") can be used over the course of 14 days, in any order, starting with the first day that any of the assets are first used.

And, once a ticket has started being used, resort room stays (or lack thereof) do not have any affect on those tickets.

Hey there! Quick question about convention tickets ...

Next year I'll be traveling to WDW and staying at the Swan for a convention. I know I'll have the option to purchase discounted park "convention tickets" in advance. If I buy through the convention, will I still be able to book FP+ and dining reservations in advance? Or is that only available if I book through MDE?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter