AKL or Saratoga

jmbarnes101

Mouseketeer
I'm currently deciding between two contracts. A 60 point Saratoga or a 50 point AKL. We would prefer AKL but are good with either. If I'm buying at AKL though I'm buying for access to the club and value studios.

If I'm traveling late August-February what is the reality of getting
Value studios for 4-5 nights every other year?
Club studio for 3 nights every other year?

Last edited:
We would prefer AKL but are good with either. If I'm buying at AKL though I'm buying for access to the club and value studios.

Do not buy AKL if it works only for the value or concierge rooms. Competition for those is fierce, people are ready to do crazy things for the like walking the reservation a month in advance. You should see those as a nice bonus if you can get it and not disappointed if you cannot.
Chances of getting those at 7 months are "winning the lottery" low.

September through early January is DVC high season. Both AKV Value and Club are hard year-round, but in those months they are even harder. I would not buy hoping/counting on either of these unit types at any time, but in fall, it is a path to failure and dismay.

There are 5 lock-off Club Studios. There are 18 Value studios, 10 of which are part of lock-off 2BRs.

So, put another way: You consistently want to book one of a maximum of 23 units at a resort where over 7 million points were sold and a lot of those people also want those units.

Last edited:

I agree with the others don’t buy akv if you only expect to try and book studio club and values, you end up disappointed. See them as an added bonus if you do get them from time to time.

If you can’t accept that then you should go with Saratoga. Also have in mind here that between sept-jan you should be ok with staying at ssr.

Bum deal on the AKL resale after I'd warmed to it so I'm just going to try and find a 60-70 Saratoga contract at a good price.

I've stayed at Saratoga and enjoyed it. I'm pretty much okay anywhere though GF is a bit too upscale for me. It's nice to visit though.

I would say 1 bed values in summer can be had at 7 months, I'd have had no problems this year. Studios much harder though.But agree don't buy for that reason.

Own at AKV. Have 2 ressies for value studios, one at end of February the other in August. I also have a ressie for a value 1 bed in December... value studio was not available on the my 11 month booking day. I don't typically go in December and will probably wind up cancelling... end of the semester is always problematic for me. But I made it with the thought I may go this year.

I rarely travel in busy DVC seasons and have been able to snag the elusive value studio. I would also be happy with a standard, though, so realistically owning at AKV with the 11 month window has worked for me. Club level has no appeal for me.

I go back to the standard answer. Where do you want to stay most of the time? I wouldn't pick the place based on the contract offered. As others have mentioned, many times of the year, DVC is very busy and getting someting at 7 months is not likely. Some at 11 months are even difficult. If you really like Saratoga Springs, then I would look for a good contract from there. If AKL is really where you want to stay, find a contract that works for you. If you have to wait a while until the correct contract comes up, in the long run, its not a big deal waiting.

I'm one of those that doesn't have a big preference as I like all of the DVC resorts. I've decided the best course for me and my girls though is Saratoga. It offers the best bang for the buck, a longer contract, I like the proximity to DS, pools, and ambiance, and the 7 month availability shows open options for me based on current reports the guys here are compiling. If I can trade out at times great and if I can't I'm perfectly happy being at SS for my home. I'm also flexible when we travel.

In the meantime I need to wait for a contract with a good Use Year, August or September, and 55-70 points at an acceptable price. I truly appreciate everyone who has commented. Thank you.

Last edited:
I have a value studio for the weekend, 3 nights, Friday to Monday before this year’s DVC Member Cruise in July. Booked exactly at 11 months. Had choice of studio or 1 bedroom value. Went with studio, but honestly, it was a hard decision. We will most likely want to do laundry before the cruise, but DH said he would be OK with the walk to common laundry area. That sealed the deal.:)

Both resorts have benefits. Saratoga Springs is going to be the better overall value, lower annual dues, typically lower purchase price. The difference in expiration years is only 3 years, so not a huge difference there. If you want a chance at Value or Concierge, as others have mentioned, you need to be attempting to book at 11 months, though even then is not a guarantee, so I would not purchase at AK solely for that.
Saratoga has the added value of Treehouse Villas and typically there is availability at AK, under 7 months for Savanna view, which in my opinion is the reason to stay at that resort. I don't think you would go wrong with SS, though whatever you decide, enjoy!

I think club studios are booked every night this year. Not many types of Villas have that history. To think we have 2 nights in one makes me feel extremely lucky. We’ve probably stayed in club studio 2-3 nights every other year since AKV has existed.

Thank you everyone. I decided to go with Saratoga Springs and found a 60 point contract that is currently in the ROFR stage. I had wanted to add on a 25 point Vero Beach contract at some point so I could stay there every couple of years and get the added benefits but no such luck now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts