air quality

southgal

Mouseketeer
Yes, I've looked at weather channel stuff and links on here, but is anyone *there* right now? We are scheduled to go Monday-Friday and my son has asthma. This is more of a resort trip than activity trip, so I am wondering if we should reschedule. I would appreciate some real-time info if possible. Thank you!

Thanks for this post. I was actually coming here to post the same question. My doctor advised me to cancel the trip, but that is NOT going to happen.

we just got back on thursday. It was smokey all week. I did not find it too bad (But I do not have asthma) I am from Sothern California, and we have had MUCH worse when fires have raged here. It was mostly a faint smell of smoke, and visability was affected slightly. We had 2 days where there was no problem at all, but then the wind changed. I would look at the national weather service site and check the air quality rating for Orlando.

current air quality is characterized as "moderate" with 51-100 parts p/m of particulants. Should it be bumped up to the next level of 101 +, then the CDC would characterize the air as being unhealty for those with respiratory diffculties.

HTH

I just returned from WDW on Wednesday. While I do not have respiratory problems, I did find that the smoke bothered me, as my eyes were irritated and my throat sore. I was happy to be leaving the smoke behind.

I was at the BWV, and the smell was very strong in the hallway. My room had been spared for the most part, but when I was near the door, I could smell the smoke.

I am worried to because I leave tomorrow with an 8 month old baby.:sad2:

I returned last night with my family of 5, including a 8-month old baby.. We only really noticed it one day... I think it was wednesday... we stayed at OKW. When I woke in the morning, I remarked to DH - boy, it's hazy outside :sad2: .. but when we went out to our car we realized it was smoke..

We did not smell it inside our unit.

It only bothered us at that moment.. and that day was the worst that we saw. The smoke was clearly noticable that morning, and I could see that - on that day - it could bother someone with breathing issues. Especially if you could not get away from the smoke. Luckily, we spent the day at MK and it wasn't a problem for us there.

Other days it just smelled a little. I will also mention that it was quite windy all week. Which could be good for keeping the air moving - or bad for bringing the smoke far across the state...

It might just be hit or miss... Hopefully the fires will stop soon!

Well, DH and I just got back last night and I have to say it isn't that bad. I suffer from pretty moderate to severe asthma, and didn't have any significant, additional trouble if I was just doing regular park and resort days, going in and out of buildings. I always have a somewhat difficult time there, but nothing worse than previous trips.

There were two or three days (Tuesday-Thursday of this week) that were worse than others, but mostly it was hardly noticeable. The smell was worse than the air quality, IMO. Many people there at the same time (other guests) discussed not even noticing, although I do find that a bit of a stretch. Hope that helps!

Well, DH and I just got back last night and I have to say it isn't that bad. I suffer from pretty moderate to severe asthma, and didn't have any significant, additional trouble if I was just doing regular park and resort days, going in and out of buildings. I always have a somewhat difficult time there, but nothing worse than previous trips.

There were two or three days (Tuesday-Thursday of this week) that were worse than others, but mostly it was hardly noticeable. The smell was worse than the air quality, IMO. Many people there at the same time (other guests) discussed not even noticing, although I do find that a bit of a stretch. Hope that helps!

THanks! I was hoping someone with asthma would respond. My doctor wanted me to stay home, but I doubt many would do that after you have already spent the money on the trip.

THanks! I was hoping someone with asthma would respond. My doctor wanted me to stay home, but I doubt many would do that after you have already spent the money on the trip.

I absolutely wouldn't! Just spend plenty of time indoors in the a/c as well as outdoors. For us, it was easy since it was so HOT most of the trip! :goodvibes

We just returned from WDW on Weds. We were there since Fri. My DD8 has pretty severe asthma and she was fine the entire time we were there. Weds. was definitely smoky but it really didn't bother her. I brought her rescue inhaler with us to the parks each day but she never used it. I think you will be fine. Enjoy your trip:)

We just came through there and I didn't think it was bad until we got to about Gainesville. The bigger problem would be for those driving as parts of I 75 and I 10 were closed this afternoon.

We returned from WDW on Wednesday. When there wasn't a breeze, the smoke in the air was very noticeable. One of my children complained of a headache from it. But as soon as the breeze picked up in the afternoon, you could hardly notice it. Of course that may have had more to do with the direction of the breeze than anything else.

HBC

Here is a link to the discussion on the Resorts forum with some links to local news articles and maps showing the location of reported fires. It is very widespread.

As Dean said if you are driving, there have been several Interstate closings due to low visbility and wrecks caused by the smoke.

Let's all hope for some steady rain.:thumbsup2

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1449365

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter