Status
Not open for further replies.
But honestly guys, they took the time to put up "fences" to block back stage stuff for most of the land....but not for the area behind the top of a hill on a roller coaster that gives views right into the back stage stuff???? C'mon. I'm a Disney apologist, but they f'ed this up. Even as insignificant as it seems.
I understand where you are coming from but it’s hard with outdoor attractions like that. You can see other parks from Everest, you can see other lands from splash, same for tower of terror. Test Track might be the other best example of this. You can see a good amount of backstage Epcot from that attraction. I know many of those attractions aren’t in immersive new lands but same sort of concept. Yes they could’ve done better but I still think you’d be able to see some other areas.

I kinda like seeing the backstage stuff sometimes.

Were you a groupie? pirate:

this is such a funny topic to me as well. I mean many of us on here have paid good hard cash to go "backstage" and get the details. From Keys to the kingdom tour and several tours at Epcot and AK, I too actually like to see backstage now too as I try to figure out things for myself.

Just saw the first pic on WDW News Today of one of the painted pillars. The one beside the France pavilion has been painted a light shade of green to blend with the surroundings. I think the painting will make a big difference in blending in the pillars.

Just saw the first pic on WDW News Today of one of the painted pillars. The one beside the France pavilion has been painted a light shade of green to blend with the surroundings. I think the painting will make a big difference in blending in the pillars.
That’s really the only one that will be painted. If it is up already it won’t be painted.

I think making any judgments about sight lines or traffic patterns at DHS before Star Wars land opens is premature. So often such things are blown out of proportion based on plans and based on how things seem during construction and then five years later no one even remembers that they were the ones complaining.

Not necessarily. That one was already there I think in February and wasn't green yet.

I am pretty sure it was already painted when it was put up. The earliest pictures that were posted of it show it green. There is just no good reason to wait to paint it until it's up, much easier to do it at the factory.

I think they didn’t fence that side because you would be able to see the fence from inside SWGE and then that would ruin the immersion of that land.
It looks like they started rock work on the berm. Didn't one of the drawings show a moutain in between?

I thought from some of the drawings (and I know things can change) that it was to look like it was in a valley surrounded by mountains. Maybe it was D23?
There will be rock work along the berm to make it look more natural to the land. The only mountain range of sorts will be hiding the massive showbuildings.

As much as I wish Disney could preserve every sightline on property, it's not possible. Yeah, sure, Slinky breaks immersion, but this isn't the first time we've seen this, even on Disney's best rides. Are the doors opening on Tower of Terror, exposing you to the whole park, "bad show?" How about the outdoor turnaround on Test Track? If you look hard enough you could probably see something from Splash's final drop and some bits on Big Thunder. They've been doing it for years.

As much as I wish Disney could preserve every sightline on property, it's not possible. Yeah, sure, Slinky breaks immersion, but this isn't the first time we've seen this, even on Disney's best rides. Are the doors opening on Tower of Terror, exposing you to the whole park, "bad show?" How about the outdoor turnaround on Test Track? If you look hard enough you could probably see something from Splash's final drop and some bits on Big Thunder. They've been doing it for years.

There's a difference in seeing some other parts of the park from a ride than getting a large uninterrupted view of backstage. That's all I'm saying. A lot of work to created a berm around SW:GE, but then kind of leave part of the view from Slinky just.....there.

Test Track is certainly the worst offender, but since you're on a "test track" seeing other buildings that fit into that, isn't that bad.

Why do you think that will be the case from Slinky once SW:GE is completed?

47e0aa34-69b1-4f61-8f6f-877d5fc3e170-jpeg.338557

OK, so they have a giant fence to block the view of the parking garage, the Mania building, but they only plant trees at ground level on the TSL side to block the enormous green structure??? You guys continually complain about them cutting corners, but suddenly with this you're okay with???

Maybe they've got other plans, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

You guys continually complain about them cutting corners ...
Who? Me? You must be mistaking me for someone else.

I thought you were referring to seeing into the construction zone of SW:GE ... but I also don't have a problem with a building painted green. If those trees along the edge there are conifers they will grow high and fast.

The fence not surrounding the land completely is a fair argument. They should've done it at least in front of that larger backstage building like you said.

Slinky is a tall ride though. Even with the berm and the oversize fence you're still going to see something. It's a drag, sure, but not a measurement of Disney's integrity in preserving sight lines. You can't see the large green backstage area from the pathways, just the ride. You said it's one thing about seeing parts of the park from a ride, which this is the case. You can easily say this was cutting corners (it probably was), but only due to budget restraints most likely.

And yeah who knows what they have planned. Plus, that foliage could get pretty tall on that side. Already where the oversize fence is you can see trees are already as tall as it is.

I don't love the excessive discussion on this thread, mostly because when I go to it and see there is a new post, I get disappointed it isn't new pictures ;-)
But here is my two cents:
I think once the trees on the berm grow in (it looks like they will be planting a bit more), you'll be able to see the mountains of SW:GE but I'm guessing it will be much tougher to see the ground buildings.
As far as back stage areas you can see from Slinky, I think they knew this was going to be a problem, and one of the reasons they painted that building green. I think in a year, the trees will be a bit taller, but you'll still be able to see it. I know others have said it, but this is almost always an issue for outdoor attractions that have any height to them.
I'll admit, when I saw the first ride video, I did feel slightly disappointed, but this is just going to happen sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter