Advice re: Polynesian Deluxe Studios for a family of 5

Todd Baker

Earning My Ears
Considering (really considering) a trip to WDW in early May 2019. Planning to use my parents' DVC points to stay at either Polynesian or AK (their "home resorts" with their DVC points). Travel party includes myself and my wife along with 5 yo and 3.5 yo daughters and 2 yo son, all on their first trip to WDW. Leaning towards Poly because of proximity to MK which is likely where we'll spend most of our time. My mother suggested that we could get TWO of the studios (adjoining) to have enough room for everyone as in her opinion the studios at Poly are smallish. While grateful for the opportunity to use their DVC points on our first family trip to WDW I don't want to waste them. Any opinions on whether two studios for our group is "necessary" or do you think we'll have enough room in one.

While I've been to WDW several times since I was a kid (48 yo now) this will be the first time ever with very young children and I'm looking forward to asking many questions about experiences of others in similar situations. Thanks!

It all depends on you and your family, and how much space you’re used to, how much time you will spend in the room, etc. We stayed in a standard room at CBR (which is akin to a DVC studio) with 3 kids (4,3&2) and it worked out just fine. Between the pool, the parks, and Disney Springs, we didn’t spend much time in the room. When we were in the room we were fairly comfortable, though we’re used to being on top of each other. Our oldest LOVED the Murphy bed. Like I said, it really depends on your situation but I think a studio is fine while your kids are still small.

The studios at Poly are the largest ones in DVC, if I am not mistaken. We did a split stay last fall and the Poly studio felt way bigger than the AKV studio. It was four of us, but we could have easily fit another toddler in the Poly studio. We had a pull out Murphy bed, in addition to the queen bed and sofa bed (which was much more comfortable than the one at AKV). Not sure if all rooms include this.

Last edited:
I've never stayed at the Poly so I don't know what the room situations are. Our home resort is Wilderness Lodge. Just stayed in a deluxe studio over Spring Break. We're a family of three, daughter is 12. She slept on the murphy bed and we slept in the bed. I felt it was a bit tight for the three of us. The bathroom was really small. Had only one piece of furniture with drawers to put clothes in but there were 2 closets (not enough hangers). We don't generally spend a lot of time in the room but I rather not feel so cramped.

Considering (really considering) a trip to WDW in early May 2019. Planning to use my parents' DVC points to stay at either Polynesian or AK (their "home resorts" with their DVC points). Travel party includes myself and my wife along with 5 yo and 3.5 yo daughters and 2 yo son, all on their first trip to WDW. Leaning towards Poly because of proximity to MK which is likely where we'll spend most of our time. My mother suggested that we could get TWO of the studios (adjoining) to have enough room for everyone as in her opinion the studios at Poly are smallish. While grateful for the opportunity to use their DVC points on our first family trip to WDW I don't want to waste them. Any opinions on whether two studios for our group is "necessary" or do you think we'll have enough room in one.

While I've been to WDW several times since I was a kid (48 yo now) this will be the first time ever with very young children and I'm looking forward to asking many questions about experiences of others in similar situations. Thanks!
Poly has the largest DVC studios on property. They also have a split bath with a shower in one room, a toilet and tub in the other and then a double sink area between the two. The room has a queen bed, double sleeper sofa and a drop-down murphy bed that is just a bit smaller than a bunk bed. IMO, it's perfect for a family of 5 when that family has small children.

One of the unique features of the Poly studios is that a large number of them connect (i.e. they have internal doors between two studios, adjoining only means that they are near each other). However, even though this increases your chances of "having a 2-room villa", it is not guaranteed even if your parents make the request when they book them. It will depend on what's available on your check in date.

FWIW, I think that you can fit into a Po;y studio comfortably. If you were 5 adults traveling together or even a family of 5 with 3 teenagers, I would advocate for the 2 studios. But with children as young as yours, I think you will be fine with one. If the 2 yo is to sleep in a pack n play, you may want to consider leaving the sofa be closed and making it up as a single bed for one of the girls so that you free up floor space for the pack n play.

We have 3 kids and have fit comfortably in a standard room at the Poly. I was going to look at a studio but the deal for the regular room was too good to pass up. I really just wanted it for the 2 showers as our kids will be 17, 14 and 12 for our August trip. Previous trips with all 3 they were 2, 4 & 7 and then 7, 9 & 12. And there was a trip with just 2 kids and a trip with just one kid. But all of them we stayed at the Poly in just one room and were find.

Our kids never fell asleep easily but Disney they did. We returned for naps mid day for all of us. Only my son when he was 4 would not shut up (he was almost 5) and kept saying to my dh who was trying to pass out "dad, dad, can we go back on test track when we go back to the park?" "dad, dad..." He eventually fell asleep for his nap but he slept the least. But at bed time they all hit the pillow, lights and TV on and they were in dream land.

We are fine with one room. Mainly we are sleeping, eating and showering. But that is us.

The Polynesian studios are pretty large, but they put a lot of the living space into the split bathroom and kitchenette. So when the sleeper sofa is open and the murphy bed is folded down, the living space is pretty much all beds. The Polynesian is the only studio that connects to another studio. At AKV, you'll only get one bedrooms that connect to studios. AKV studios officially sleep four plus one under the age of three. If your son hasn't reached 3 yet when you arrive, you would all fit in the studio. The one bedroom has beds for five at AKV. Polynesian has no one bedrooms. OKW might also be a suggestion since you could get a one bedroom villa with beds for five for a few more points a night than the Polynesian studio.

The Polynesian studios are pretty large, but they put a lot of the living space into the split bathroom and kitchenette. So when the sleeper sofa is open and the murphy bed is folded down, the living space is pretty much all beds. The Polynesian is the only studio that connects to another studio. At AKV, you'll only get one bedrooms that connect to studios. AKV studios officially sleep four plus one under the age of three. If your son hasn't reached 3 yet when you arrive, you would all fit in the studio. The one bedroom has beds for five at AKV. Polynesian has no one bedrooms. OKW might also be a suggestion since you could get a one bedroom villa with beds for five for a few more points a night than the Polynesian studio.

How about BRV? Any experience staying there? More space certainly. Points-wise I think a 1bdr ends up being cheaper than two studios, right? They have 1 bdr villas as well. I realize I can't reserve there until 7 month out but we could waitlist them if full at the time. We'd like to stay "close" to MK since we'll likely spend most of our time there as opposed to Epcot or AK.

If it were me with children that age I would stay in a one bedroom over a studio simply for a separate space to utilize for sleeping and naps. It can be very difficult to get a younger child down for a nap when their older sibling or even parent is still awake in the same space. The ability to place the 2 year old and three year old ( if still napping) in a separate space can not be underestimated in my opinion. Also, are you and your spouse going to want to sit in a dark quiet room when the children go to sleep at night? It is so nice to have the separate space a one bedroom will offer over a studio. Plus the added kitchen and in room washer/dryer are super convenient to have when traveling with young kiddos....Yes, I understand AKL is a longer bus ride over the Monorail or boat at the Poly. Still it's not that long, and the benefits of the larger space would mean more if I were faced with this choice.

I wouldn't bother with 2 studios at the Poly if going that route since Disney will not guarantee interconnecting rooms.

Have you considered a one bedroom at any other DVC resorts?

With kids that age I’d do poly in a heartbeat- coming from from someone who stayed at AKL in April 2017 (kids were 5 and 13 months) and Poly in Feb 2018 (they were 6 and just shy of 2). Poly is amazing for nights you don’t want to stay in the parks late, you can go back to the resort, watch the torch lighting ceremony, swim and then hit the beach to watch HEA. You really don’t feel like you’re missing anything while staying at the Poly. They had a dance party at night and both the kids loved it. We got to do Ohana for both breakfast and dinner, plus 1900PF dinner and Chef Mickey breakfast because being on the monorail was so convenient. You could make one studio work, just fold up the pull out in the morning. Plus you can walk to the TTC to get to Epcot. It’s awesome there!
And yes I loved AKL but save it for when they’re older :)
ETA- for napping I stayed in the room with the toddler and DH took the 6yo to the pool.

With kids that age I’d do poly in a heartbeat- coming from from someone who stayed at AKL in April 2017 (kids were 5 and 13 months) and Poly in Feb 2018 (they were 6 and just shy of 2). Poly is amazing for nights you don’t want to stay in the parks late, you can go back to the resort, watch the torch lighting ceremony, swim and then hit the beach to watch HEA. You really don’t feel like you’re missing anything while staying at the Poly. They had a dance party at night and both the kids loved it. We got to do Ohana for both breakfast and dinner, plus 1900PF dinner and Chef Mickey breakfast because being on the monorail was so convenient. You could make one studio work, just fold up the pull out in the morning. Plus you can walk to the TTC to get to Epcot. It’s awesome there!
And yes I loved AKL but save it for when they’re older :)
ETA- for napping I stayed in the room with the toddler and DH took the 6yo to the pool.

Good points re: the other activities at Poly and the proximity to MK for viewing HEA. This sort of reasoning is why I'm also considering BRV for the location AND bigger room. However we have a third kid to consider as well. My girls (by then, 5 yo and 3.5 yo) will be trying to keep up with my son (2.5 yo) thus the question about space. They're used to a big house and on their only other vacation last summer to the Texas coast even a 1 bdr condo was dicey. (But I think the biggest problem there was getting them to sleep and not the space per se.) My parents are generously providing the points so even though the 1 bdr is more expensive points-wise the decision will come down to issues other than cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter