Advice on drive from WDW to Massachusetts - Routes & Hotels

Figment&Piglet

“A dream can be a dream come true”
We will be driving to WDW in August, stopping for 3 nights each at Shenandoah National Park (staying in Woodstock, VA) and Hilton Head, SC, and then on to WDW for a week. Our routes will depend on staying at these stops, of course, but can anyone recommend specific routes to try or avoid? We'd like to avoid Rte. 95 and the major cities and known traffic tie-ups as much as possible. Have heard 84 to 81 to 77 to 95 is more pleasant. Anyone have specific recommendations?

Then on the way home, we would drive over just two days (with just a single one-night stop), and again would like to avoid Rte. 95 most of the way. Have heard to do the reverse route 77 to 81 to 84. Anyone have specific routes in that direction? Also, where would you recommend staying that's about the mid-point? Having trouble determining where would be about half-way.

Thanks to anyone experienced who would like to share.

Why not call into your local AAA shop & ask for MAPS . ?

OR use GOOGLE MAPS or GOOGLE EARTH ...... you can plan alternative routes that way.

Look up your Favorite Hotel Chain & see where they have Hotels on your journey.

With all due respect, I already know to look at maps and Google. They all send you 95, which I don’t want to do. I posted here for specific recommendations gained through the personal experience of those who’ve driven the various routes. Thanks.

With all due respect, I already know to look at maps and Google. They all send you 95, which I don’t want to do. I posted here for specific recommendations gained through the personal experience of those who’ve driven the various routes. Thanks.

Yes but you can drag and drop the route it shows from I-95 to another interstate and it will recalculate. That's what I meant.

True but how would I know what route(s) I should drag it to without a recommendation? I hear some appear longer but are more time-saving and vice versa.

You're right. I just experiment. One route people take is I-81 from Harrisburg, PA through MD & VA. Then I-77 south when you reach it.

In my experience, if google maps says to take I-95 then it's probably the quickest route as long as you set the correct start time. I live in the DC area and it's rarely wrong about the traffic here unless there is some late breaking accident. Wish I had some better recommendations. Good luck.

The vast majority of people know about using google maps. But...it is sometimes nice to get recommendations as to the best routes. You know, the ones people have used, with either good or bad experiences.
I use google maps, but I do like to get some personal input as well.

The vast majority of people know about using google maps. But...it is sometimes nice to get recommendations as to the best routes. You know, the ones people have used, with either good or bad experiences.
I use google maps, but I do like to get some personal input as well.
Yes, exactly. Once I have an idea on which way to go I will use Google maps to plan stopping points and such. I have heard that 81 to 77 as suggested above is ultimately a time savings despite it being longer in miles because it bypasses heavy traffic delays but would like confirmation of that... or of another route if better.

I have heard that 81 to 77 as suggested above is ultimately a time savings despite it being longer in miles because it bypasses heavy traffic delays but would like confirmation of that... or of another route if better.
I did the 81 to 77 route 10+ years ago. Those roads can have pretty heavy traffic too. In particular 81 has lots of truck traffic. I travel it a couple times a year from DC to West Virginia, and its not just a myth....truckers love that road.

The truth is that 95 is a busy road because it is the most direct. If you're avoiding the DC area and the DC-Richmond 95 corridor, you're avoiding the worst (predictable) part. Otherwise its just luck.

I did the 81 to 77 route 10+ years ago. Those roads can have pretty heavy traffic too. In particular 81 has lots of truck traffic. I travel it a couple times a year from DC to West Virginia, and its not just a myth....truckers love that road.

The truth is that 95 is a busy road because it is the most direct. If you're avoiding the DC area and the DC-Richmond 95 corridor, you're avoiding the worst (predictable) part. Otherwise its just luck.

Very true. Our youngest went to VA Tech and we drove I-81 on a regular basis. Lots of truck but no major delays. DC can be OK on weekdays if you hit it between about 9am and 2pm. Weekends on I-95 south of DC to Fredricksburg, VA can be bad much of the day.

Very true! When my dh was planning the drive from central Mass to WDW, a relative of the guy he was going with highly recommended that inland route. And he's a truck driver! Says it's the best way to go. Dh opted for 95, and said it wasn't nearly as bad as he had thought it would be!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter