• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ADA compliance?

mlwear

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone knows if Disney is required to comply with ADA (other than building codes, etc). Usually, to file compliant (not that I intend to -- just curious about the topic), the offender must receive Federal funds. Does Disney receive Federal funds of any sort? :confused3 I know there was some talk about funding for the monorail, but I don't think that went through. Just wondering about this as I read some other threads.

mlwear said:
Just wondering if anyone knows if Disney is required to comply with ADA (other than building codes, etc). Usually, to file compliant

Do you mean compliant or complaint?

Everyone must comply with the ADA. I would assume that Disney would comply with every aspect of the ADA in every respect. I believe also, they make every effort to exceed ADA minimum requirements wherever possible.

Andrew

Comply. I know there are some aspects in which everyone must comply. (new buildings must have ramps, parking spaces, etc.) But, it is my understanding that unless the organization receives federal funding, you cannot file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights. Ex. Govt. sponsored camps have to make quite extensive accomodations for children with any disability while private camps, don't have to do this. ADA is very extensive, as I am sure you know. Once Federal money is accepted, accomodations are required or they risk loss of Federal Funds and hearings with OCR.
Not an attorney, but I think that is how it goes.

Everyone must comply with the ADA. I would assume that Disney would comply with every aspect of the ADA in every respect. I believe also, they make every effort to exceed ADA minimum requirements wherever possible.

Andrew[/QUOTE]

I think you are right Andrew. Because I am not using my time wisely, I looked at some information on this. ADA certainly seems to focus on the accessibility issue the most, but is less limiting than I feared. :flower: The way I read it is any business/organization that provides public accomodation must comply whether they are private or not. I saw several cases of dealing with the mentally disabled. Of course, no monetary damage are awarded. I don't know if the business is fined or what? :confused3 An attorney told me about the federal funding issue a couple of years ago. Maybe this requires higher standards :confused3

Anyway...my curiousity is satisfied. :teeth:

Here are the latest cases that are settled or pending about ADA complience.
There can be monitary damages awarded to the person filling but usally all they want is for the defendant to compliy.
It is amazing what some companies are still getting away with 10+ years after the ADA was passed.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but I have some information that might help.
There are different parts to the ADA. Some have to do with education, some with employment ans some with access (parking, accomidation).

Here are some good links:
Pacer Center for education rights

A question page about filing complaints.

A page about filing job related complaints.

ADA Accessibility Guidelines (note: This page opens to the part about hotels, but scroll all the way to the top and you will find links to guidelines about practically anything you can think of - from automated teller machines to windows.)

http://www.access-board.gov/
This is a jackpot disability law website.

Three years ago, the access board wrote a law concerning amusement park accessibility. http://www.access-board.gov/recreation/final.htm
NOTE: These guidelines have not been incorporated in the Department of Justice accessibility standards and are, therefore, not enforceable.
Right now there is an engineering contest to build a lift that would tranfer guests in wheelchairs to rides. Personally, I think the focus should be on making ride vehicles that wheelchairs can drive onto...but this is a good start.

Disney must, by law, make their buildings/restaurants/theatres/sidewalks/stores accessible. But, under current laws, they don't have to make rides accessible. I've always said WDW is the most disabilty friendly place on earth.

If the above law was passed, all amusement parks would have to make a certain percentage of their ride vehicles a) built more open to make a slide transfer possible and/or b) wheelchair accessible

Christamae

SueM in MN said:
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but I have some information that might help.
There are different parts to the ADA. Some have to do with education, some with employment ans some with access (parking, accomidation).

I'm not quite sure what I'm asking either :rotfl: I guess sort of just thinking as I read some posts about different problems.
I hope to find that Disney is the most disability friendly place on earth. I think what got me concerned was a while back when there was a report (still unsure if it is true or not) that GAC's wouldn't be distributed to those with invisible disabilities (ex. autism). Upon hearing this, DW was immediately X'd off our vacation possiblity list. Now that I know GAC is available and esp. since DS is older we can go...see I'm just thinking and typing again. At that time, I thought not distributing GAC's was discriminatory.
Most posts seem very encouraging but a few have gotten under my skin a little. I am bit sensitive to the needs of those with disabilities.
Anyway...thanks for the info.

I don't know what to think about the amusement park ride lift. More thinking to do. :goodvibes

Here's a link to the Theme Park Accessibility Guidelines.
It is specific to Theme Parks and is different than the links that Christamae posted. I think it's in the same "limbo" that those are, though.
I don't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that parks like the Disney parks had a lot of input into these guidelines, and actually, if you look at the pictures/diagrams, you will recognize that some are very similar to ride cars like those found in Buzz Lightyear and Imagination.

mlwear said:
I think what got me concerned was a while back when there was a report (still unsure if it is true or not) that GAC's wouldn't be distributed to those with invisible disabilities (ex. autism). Upon hearing this, DW was immediately X'd off our vacation possiblity list. Now that I know GAC is available and esp. since DS is older we can go...see I'm just thinking and typing again. At that time, I thought not distributing GAC's was discriminatory.
That was a mis-understanding of a change that Disneyland made. It took on a life of its own when some people took the rumor as absolute truth and posted the rumor on all sorts of websites/petitions especially frequented by people with children with autism.
What actually happened was that Disneyland discontinued the Special Assistance Pass, wherre everyone was given exactly the same accopmidation (basically an alternate entrance) to attractions regardless of their needs. They changed to the Guest Assistance Card with accomidations based on needs to be more consistent with what WDW was/is doing. WDW changed to the Guest Assistance Card about 1999.
Here's a
link to a thread from Jan/Feb 2004 when Disneyland made the change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter