? about peanut allergy and flying SW

My son isn't peanut allergic, but I have flown SW often and have been on two seperate flights with a peanut allergic person on board. The first time, the gate agent made an announcement at the gate warning people to dispose of any peanut products before boarding the plane and then made several announcements as were getting on the plane reminding everyone on board that they should not have any peanuty snacks because someone on board could have a very serious health problem because of it. The second time was actually just last week. Apparently, the family did not notify SW until the last possible moment - after we were already lined up to board. There was a delay and lots of phone calls and shuffling around. They let the family do a medical pre-board and still managed to do a quick switcheroo with the snack options, I guess. We were served Wheat Thins. Just thought my experience might help reassure you.

Wow. I've never heard of SW requesting people to dispose of peanut products. You know, I'll have to call them again and try to speak to someone who knows exactly what their policy is. It's like hit or miss with them. Sometimes I get a good customer rep., and other times forget it!

And thanks for the info, Manda. I do appreciate it.:goodvibes

We have flown many times w/ sw. The last trip on the way out, they made the announcement on the plane, we were getting a different snack (not peanuts). I would think SW would make it safer for the "allergic" person if they made announcements in the boarding area. So those who have peanut products can dispose of them, and purchase other products which are safe.

I also was reading on the southwest web site, that they can't prevent people from bringing peanut products on the plane. So, just be careful.

Here is the link to the disability page, scroll down to the peanut part.
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/disability.html

We have flown many times w/ sw. The last trip on the way out, they made the announcement on the plane, we were getting a different snack (not peanuts). I would think SW would make it safer for the "allergic" person if they made announcements in the boarding area. So those who have peanut products can dispose of them, and purchase other products which are safe.

I also was reading on the southwest web site, that they can't prevent people from bringing peanut products on the plane. So, just be careful.

Here is the link to the disability page, scroll down to the peanut part.
http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/disability.html

I think that's largely about liability. If I wander onto the plane with peanutbutter crackers in my purse and ignore the flight crew's announcement SW doesn't accept responsibility for my being a jack***. If a kid with sticky fingers on the last flight got peanut oil on the seat and an allergic kid gets sick, again, SW is setting themselves up for not getting sued.

My son has multiple food allergies with peanut and tree nuts being just 2 of them. I will never fly SW again after our last experience with them!

I called ahead of time to let them know of his allergy and again when we checked in. I was given the blue preboard and was allowed to preboard and wipe down his seat, etc. An announcement was made and all seemed great until one of the flight crew members decided to make another child a crown out of "unopened" packages of peanuts.

I spoke with said flight attendant to remind her I had a child with peanut allergy on the flight only to be reprimanded that she was totally aware of that and she was "allowed" to make the crowns. I asked her how she felt that was appropriate seeing no peanuts were being served and my child was only 2 seats away from the child with the crown. Her snippy response was you have an Epi-pen if he has a reaction so I should just calm down.

Never again will SW get my business. We are flying Jet Blue in May. Wish me better luck.

Wow.. I'm sorry you had that happen. I NEVER had anything like that happen and I've flown them with my peanut allergic daughter at least 30 trips. I now I know that having them handed out bothers you but as long as they were "unopened" I would have been ok, and yes my DD allergy is fatal. I would have just made sure that this kid and his parents knew not to open them. On some of my flight there have been passengers who love SWs peanuts and have asked if they could have a bag for after the flight and they have given them out with the understanding they are not to be opened. If you see my earlier post though, I take precautions because of how bad her allergy is we do Zyrtec about an hour and half before we board and about 30 min before we do benadryl. I have had a problem on an airplane and 30 min after we landed we were on our way to clebrations hospital in Orlando and that was our first day of vacation. I know it can be scary, believe me. I honestly would say don't give up on SW, 99.9% aren't like that all, and it is a great airline. (and no I don't work for them). We don't really have many discount carriers out of where I live we have SW and Airtran out of Baltimore, and like I said we do WDW 3 times a year never a problem.

And from one parent to another good luck, love, and pixie dust. I wish you all the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter